Past #43: Aaron Hall - Shinboner #1013 retires after 58 NM games - Thanks Aaron

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute pea heart this bloke is!

While I raged at the soft spots and efforts watching the game live on TV (because you couldn't miss them even if your name was Stevie Wonder), I watched them again today and am surprised I didn't put a sledge hammer through my TV!

The fox footy commentators even highlighted his woeful performance (which directly included them forcing Ratten to drop his head in his hands) for more minutes he played well!

I will give him a small credit for actually putting his big boy pants on, pulling his fist out of his rear end and playing those 3 or 4 AFL star standard passages of play where he drilled those quality kicks but as quick as he did that, he fell back off the cliff! If he isn't out of the team from next game and announced as delisted within 36 hours of our season ending, there is something genuinely, seriously terminal within the club.

Give Perez, Dawson or Archer a go in his place. I'd rather have Bonar or Young than Hall. At this stage, I'd rather start with 17 on the field than give Hall another game!
I think he knows he’s cooked

Self preservation kicks in and he just worries about himself and not doing the team things like taking care with the ball in hand, blocking, chasing and putting his body on the line

Last edited:
I see Fagan dropped Kiddy Coleman but kept Daniel Rich in this week, would be a decent replacement option for us if he's unhappy, and we want to make a play, i like the cut of his jib.

Absolute pea heart this bloke is!

While I raged at the soft spots and efforts watching the game live on TV (because you couldn't miss them even if your name was Stevie Wonder), I watched them again today and am surprised I didn't put a sledge hammer through my TV!

The fox footy commentators even highlighted his woeful performance (which directly included them forcing Ratten to drop his head in his hands) for more minutes he played well!

I will give him a small credit for actually putting his big boy pants on, pulling his fist out of his rear end and playing those 3 or 4 AFL star standard passages of play where he drilled those quality kicks but as quick as he did that, he fell back off the cliff! If he isn't out of the team from next game and announced as delisted within 36 hours of our season ending, there is something genuinely, seriously terminal within the club.

Give Perez, Dawson or Archer a go in his place. I'd rather have Bonar or Young than Hall. At this stage, I'd rather start with 17 on the field than give Hall another game!
The stats didn't do his shitness justice in that first quarter. It may have not been a turnover in his stats, but where he put it for other players, and the lack of effort in shutting players down, stood out like the proverbial.

The stats didn't do his shitness justice in that first quarter. It may have not been a turnover in his stats, but where he put it for other players, and the lack of effort in shutting players down, stood out like the proverbial.
The fact that gets so much of the ball while quality users like Powell get so little is such a factor in how we lose games. Hate to pot our own but he needs to be replaced - thought he would be by now with Clarkson at the helm and the number of mids and flankers we keep drafting.

I think he knows he’s cooked

Self preservation kicks in and he just worries about himself and not doing the team things like taking care with the ball in hand, blocking, chasing and putting his body on the line
That begs the question as to why he would subject himself to embarrassing not only the jumper/club, the members/supporters but himself aswell. If I knew I was well and truly cooked, I'd be big enough to come out and say I am not up to it so I don't get put in that situation. Not like we were struggling to fill a side anywhere near as much as WCE.

That begs the question as to why he would subject himself to embarrassing not only the jumper/club, the members/supporters but himself aswell. If I knew I was well and truly cooked, I'd be big enough to come out and say I am not up to it so I don't get put in that situation. Not like we were struggling to fill a side anywhere near as much as WCE.
To get a pay cheque

Okay so silver lining here, he’s proving beyond doubt how valuable his position is for this team, and exactly what attributes are required to play the role to the level we need.

TT would likely be excellent in the role when his fitness reaches AFL standard next year, but I think he holds even more value forward of centre, his goal nous is unmatched at North currently and I think that allows him the star power he craves.

I’d happily invest a top 10 draft pick to max out talent at Hall’s position.
TT would be wasted down back. He played down there as a junior and was never anywhere near as good as he is through the middle and best up forward.

Hall was a momentum killer in the first quarter. After such a promising start, he caused 3 goals to the opposition.
Can’t play Ziebell, Hall and McDonald in the same backline. They cause so many turnovers that result in goals to the opposition.
We need good ball users in defence.
All the good teams have weapons down back, we have liabilities.
I would turn McDonald into a tagger again. He has done the job in the past on some of the games best mids.
Make him accountable, it would help the team immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Getting the pill is a skill. He has it. His potential replacements do not. It is what it is.
Don't see how that works in his favour though. The more he gets it, the more chance there is he coughs it up or gives it to a teammate in a s**t position. I'm still a fan of him, but that first 40 minutes yesterday was unacceptable.

He's had a game where he's hurt the team more than helped it, and for that he should be dropped. Iirc he was dropped after 25-odd disposals against Godees, and the same should happen here.

Sheez played the quarterback role beautifully at the start of the year and I think it's time we put him back there. He might not have the blistering pace, but he has the game sense. And he generally applies pressure and doesn't go in half-heartedly, something which we can't say about Aaron's performance yesterday. I don't think he ends up there long-term, but he's shown he can do it.

Ideally the club will be shopping this off-season for Aaron's replacement, because none of the half-backs-in-waiting have much pace aside from Goater, and he's still got a mountain of work to do on his kicking if he wants to be a properly damaging rebounding type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Fagan dropped Kiddy Coleman but kept Daniel Rich in this week, would be a decent replacement option for us if he's unhappy, and we want to make a play, i like the cut of his jib.
s**t imagine Coleman in Hall's spot. But yes I'd take Rich in a heartbeat.

I'm not a big fan of calling players' effort into question. What we identify as "pea hearted efforts" and the like can almost always be put down to talent and skill. Hall is 32, and he's in decline physically. It's as simple as that - I'm sure he'd love to be killing it every game.

I'm not a big fan of calling players' effort into question. What we identify as "pea hearted efforts" and the like can almost always be put down to talent and skill. Hall is 32, and he's in decline physically. It's as simple as that - I'm sure he'd love to be killing it every game.
Absolutely correct. I don't think any player would not be trying. Some may not be good enough, unfit, lacking necessary experience or they might be carrying an injury etc. It doesn't take much to be beaten - just a step slower, a few seconds extra to catch your breath etc. and a fitter, stronger of more capable opponent can look like a million dollars.

It's tragic however that North seem to have probably four or five of the back six that don't currently stack up against strong opponents. A team cannot wear that many and as long as it's the case, wins will be difficult to achieve, despite the majority of our defenders working their arses off as best they can (maybe one or two are not playing to the best of their ability but who knows if that's actualy true).

Let's not re-write history, guys. The big knock on Hall in his GC days related to his pea-hearted efforts. Sure, he has some great football attributes (which are indeed declining), but the lack of appetite for the hard contest has remained a constant.

I would turn McDonald into a tagger again. He has done the job in the past on some of the games best mids.
Make him accountable, it would help the team immensely.
here-we-go-again.gif

Sorry wazza, but 'some of the games best mids', or once on Rory Sloane, six years ago when he was 22?

I'd rather get Waitey back... he kicked six that day in Hobart, although he also concussed our VFL coach, Lynch, in one of those tackles.

For context, Lever was still playing for Adelaide, alongside Charlie Cameron. Josh Jenkins got two, as did Ben Brown for us. Hrovat got on the end of a nice piece of play for us, with Atley using his pace to advantage. Ryan Clarke looked serviceable. Scott Thompson gave away a stupid free against Eddie Betts straight after he kicked his 500th goal, gifting him another immediately.

Seems a lifetime ago, right?!

I’m certain at seasons end that Hall and the club will make a neutral agreement and part ways. Why it hasn’t happened sooner is a bigger mystery to me than the crap circles I saw out at Kyneton in the early ‘90’s.
I was out there practicing grass court tennis for the Bacchus Marsh Open with my $600 Emrik racquet that I had signed by Yvonne Wollongong. Next thing I know, I stumbled across a field of flattened corn in the shape of a Schwass sticker.
I texted Warwick Moss (I had his number because I was there with him when he made a ghost moan) and he said he’d get back to me, for which I’m still waiting. I’ll keep you guys postered.

I’m certain at seasons end that Hall and the club will make a neutral agreement and part ways. Why it hasn’t happened sooner is a bigger mystery to me than the crap circles I saw out at Kyneton in the early ‘90’s.
I was out there practicing grass court tennis for the Bacchus Marsh Open with my $600 Emrik racquet that I had signed by Yvonne Wollongong. Next thing I know, I stumbled across a field of flattened corn in the shape of a Schwass sticker.
I texted Warwick Moss (I had his number because I was there with him when he made a ghost moan) and he said he’d get back to me, for which I’m still waiting. I’ll keep you guys postered.
Any update on this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back