AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton šŸ„ˆ

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's all come from comments that Langford made himself but the Fyfe "comparison" is still being taken out of context.

The way I read his comments, he was talking about taking on the sort of training loads that Fyfe built his 2015 season on. The irony is that Fyfe asked his strength and conditioning guys to help him build the break away power that Dangerfield had and, if I recall correctly, all Fyfe says he did was during the 2014/2015 pre-season was eat, sleep and train. This is what Langford was talking about.

Langford is certainly building his body up a lot but I have not yet seen any of the natural brutality/aggression in his game for there to be any point comparing him to Fyfe as a similar style of player. There are different ways to be one of the game's best players. Based on what he has shown to date the sort of player he looks like becoming is a combination of Gunston (when forward) and Pendlebury (when in the middle). That's not to say that his becoming that good is a foregone conclusion, or that there are no differences, but they are the sorts of players with similar attributes who play roles in similar styles to what Langford has shown.

Laverde is the bull of the two and plays with more aggression around the ball and naturally has the sort of power that would end up looking something more like Fyfe (which again, is not to say that he will necessarily be that good though I think that he can be).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a beef cake. Head to body proportion is very Fyfe like.

Not sure if I'm being over optimistic on this kid but I think he could very well turn out to be one of the best young players on our list - Good hands, great kick, does well evasively and just looks to be in the mould the new age big midfielder.
He's progressing slowly but IMO he shows something new every time he steps out on the field and can't wait til he puts it all together.
I'm much more excited about this guy than I am Laverde.

Just watch his 30 possession, 2 goal game against Hawthorn rd1 - He'll start turning heads in 2017.

Back