AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford - AA squad, Leading Goalkicker, McKracken Medal, 2nd in Crichton šŸ„ˆ

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The real problem for Kyle Langford is guys like Zach Merrett, Cripps and Bont.

If you don't start off like a house on fire anymore, you're a s**t truck who should be delisted.

Nah that's not true at all.

people always forget that he's only 20 due to it being his third season... 20 years old

would still love to see him bring more intensity around the ball

Happy for him (and Gleeson) to continue to play.

2017 has to be a year in which we continue to develop 3 or 4 players a week so I'll take the good with the bad because I have no doubt that Langford will be a very good player.

What does bemuse me is that they rate him ahead of Laverde. There is no part of Langford's game that is ahead of Laverde. I am not sure that it should be up to the players to choose their spots (because they make it known to the world that they are doing extra training in the off-season).

You've got to persist with Langers, at least for a few more weeks - the potential end-product is just too attractive and though incremental the improvement in each game can be seen.

Weird player - I can't pick him just yet; does he back up the cool and slightly aloof front he puts forward and show poise and mastery, or does he just lack intensity, defensive aggression (& maybe half a yard of pace)? I've seen evidence for both points of view in his last handful of games.

FWIW I think he would be better suited to play more in attack than the middle (but definitely some time in the middle) - so sort of like he has been doing, but perhaps with more goal-hauls and dominant performances ;).

There's others who could do with some seniors exposure too (Begley, Stewart, and after a while Laverde - not to mention a guy called Aaron Francis) so he'd want to keep the improvements coming. I think he'll get there.

You've got to persist with Langers, at least for a few more weeks - the potential end-product is just too attractive and though incremental the improvement in each game can be seen.

Weird player - I can't pick him just yet; does he back up the cool and slightly aloof front he puts forward and show poise and mastery, or does he just lack intensity, defensive aggression (& maybe half a yard of pace)? I've seen evidence for both points of view in his last handful of games.

FWIW I think he would be better suited to play more in attack than the middle (but definitely some time in the middle) - so sort of like he has been doing, but perhaps with more goal-hauls and dominant performances ;).

There's others who could do with some seniors exposure too (Begley, Stewart, and after a while Laverde - not to mention a guy called Aaron Francis) so he'd want to keep the improvements coming. I think he'll get there.

Dunno, his expression doseht change whether he's kicked a goal from.the boundary or passed 15 meters directly to the opposition... He's like early Keanu Reeves acting.

Happy for him (and Gleeson) to continue to play.

2017 has to be a year in which we continue to develop 3 or 4 players a week so I'll take the good with the bad because I have no doubt that Langford will be a very good player.

What does bemuse me is that they rate him ahead of Laverde. There is no part of Langford's game that is ahead of Laverde. I am not sure that it should be up to the players to choose their spots (because they make it known to the world that they are doing extra training in the off-season).
Just in case this is directed at me; my point with the Nat Fyfe/training in the off-season comments was to say that he is motivated to do as the coaches are directing him to do and is going above and beyond to earn a spot in the side when selection is considered to be difficult. That interview was recorded and released by the club and was presumably okayed by the PR people. This as opposed to some players who think they've "made it" just from getting drafted and then don't have the work ethic, never actually capitalise on their talents and end up delisted 3-4 years later.

Just in case this is directed at me; my point with the Nat Fyfe/training in the off-season comments was to say that he is motivated to do as the coaches are directing him to do and is going above and beyond to earn a spot in the side when selection is considered to be difficult. That interview was recorded and released by the club and was presumably okayed by the PR people. This as opposed to some players who think they've "made it" just from getting drafted and then don't have the work ethic, never actually capitalise on their talents and end up delisted 3-4 years later.

Not directed at you or anyone here.

Thing about him is that he not only gets the crowd going, but also the players too. As soon as he makes a dash, momentum swings our way.

When I saw him in the centre dominating in the last, I knew momentum swung our way and that the game was done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the kid has a lot of talent. But the last two games he has shown:
  • A drastic drop in confidence and yips in front of goal
  • Lack of intensity and aggression at the contest
  • Lack of defensive pressure
IMO, he is on the fringe of our best 22. The question is - where is the best place for him to work on these aspects of his game? I'll leave that for the coaching staff to figure out.

Prior to this season he was one of the better kicks on the team, and certainly one of our best set shots at goals. I had complete confidence in him hitting targets and he looked to be a 'smooth mover' (a la Pendlebury). I'm sure these qualities will return once he rebuilds his confidence.

Will be a good player. Just wish he would improve his overhead marking. It could be the one area he could improv that would elevate his game quickly. Has a booming kick in front of goals. He just seems to rely on free kicks with his overhead marking which obviously don't often get paid.

Seems like he needs to lift his intensity around the footy. It looks like he's just bounding around at 60% half the time. Kicking a goal here or theres great but I think getting sent back to the VFL for a week or 2 could light the fire under him he needs. Needs to realise turning into that Pendlebury type player isn't just gonna happen for him. Coming into his 3rd year now time to lift!

Has slipped over a few times when running on to a loose footy and goal in the forward 50, I think he's still getting used to the pressure of being the guy in front of the opposition, rather than running them through from behind.

Will be a good player. Just wish he would improve his overhead marking. It could be the one area he could improv that would elevate his game quickly. Has a booming kick in front of goals. He just seems to rely on free kicks with his overhead marking which obviously don't often get paid.
His overhead marking is one of his strengths not sure which player you have been watching

Lets all remember he's only 20.
Being rewarded at the moment for a good attitude and pre-season.
If he doesn't lift against the blues i feel he'll get a run in the VFL to get his confidence back.
Feel like he should go home and watch some Elliot Yeo videos, very similar player and needs to be confident like Yeo with his overhead marking.

Over head marking a strength? Francis yes Langford I don't think so
Well you think wrong, his marking was his standout strength when we drafted him, go back and watch Dodoro talk about him if you want proof, kid get spoiled by bigger bodies a lot and that shouldn't be a suprise, wait till he puts on down size and he will start to stay strong in those marking contests

Back