Player Watch #43: Derek Eggmolesse-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

GIF tele fernsehen television - animated GIF on GIFER - by ...

ultimately the club needs to address how 2 of its best users of the footy in Naish & Eggs ( & Corey Ellis going back a bit further ) were unable to crack it at AFL level despite several years in their system. The club needs to take some accountability to why we were unable to develop the "toughness" in these blokes to capitalise on their obvious strength in skills.

This is not a slag on the club, but good clubs take accountability for failures & I think we have a clear weakness in our development

It's not necessarily toughness. Naish and Derek were both skinny kids who never had to get the hardball in their careers because they waited outside and got it and ran. Both were quickish and agile but in AFL you have to get your own ball or you struggle, especially given that neither were particularly quick.

Naish never got strong enough to win his own ball, he just doesn't have the build and he doesn't attack it like Liam Baker who I bet played midfield all his junior days. Derek again never played midfield and was even more outside that Naish. He was pretty much plucked from obscurity having only 3 TAC games under his belt, was a Category B rookie that came through the indigenous academy so did pretty well really. Some players manage the tough stuff, but most of them have done it all through their junior days.

Last edited:
The club needs to take some accountability to why we were unable to develop the "toughness" in these blokes to capitalise on their obvious strength in skills.
Is that something that can actually be taught though? There's plenty of history of timid players just not making the cut at all clubs, not just ours
Probably more a talent identification issue more than anything

It's not necessarily toughness. Naish and Derek were both skinny kids who never had to get the hardball in their careers because they waited outside and got it and ran. Both were quickish and agile but in AFL you have to get your own ball or you struggle, especially given that neither were particularly quick.

Naish never got strong enough to win his own ball, he just doesn't have the build and he doesn't attack it like Liam Baker who I bet played midfield all his junior days. Derek again never played midfield and was even more outside that Naish. He was pretty much plucked from obscurity having only 3 TAC games under his belt, was a Category B rookie that came through the indigenous academy so did pretty well really. Some players manage the tough stuff, but most of them have done it all through their junior days.

Yeah, but we clearly recruited them to fill a need which i think we still see today, guys that can deliver the ball superbly. We were smart enough to see their strengths so i am sure we were wise enough to know their flaws.

I always like to revert peoples memories back to Shane Edwards. Our success has really fogged memories of what he was like as a kid. He was slighter, couldn't hold a tackle - was easily muscled off the ball. Players can be taught almost anything, but agree that toughness and useful body mass is among the hardest, especially when your game plan revolves around being fast outside the pack and kicking the ball long and accurately.

Yeah, but we clearly recruited them to fill a need which i think we still see today, guys that can deliver the ball superbly. We were smart enough to see their strengths so i am sure we were wise enough to know their flaws.

I always like to revert peoples memories back to Shane Edwards. Our success has really fogged memories of what he was like as a kid. He was slighter, couldn't hold a tackle - was easily muscled off the ball. Players can be taught almost anything, but agree that toughness and useful body mass is among the hardest, especially when your game plan revolves around being fast outside the pack and kicking the ball long and accurately.
We didn’t really recruit either of them to fill a need
They were both luxury pick ups that we used father son and academy discounts to recruit
If we didn’t have those connections to them in the first place it’s doubtful we would of even drafted them

Edwards always had the pace and the x-factor even though there was nothing of him. Naish and DES don't, although Naish may get another crack one day, he is a very good footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good move by the club.

Bruise-free, VFL standard player.

Doesn't mean he's not a great footballer at that level, nor a good bloke. It is what it is...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back