Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't been a great few weeks for Gibson. I'm not a hater but he's not been in great form IMHO and appeared to have an injury interrupted pre season... He's not the first I'd cut, but he's a lot closer to the start of that list than he was a year ago.

Poor gibbo sure gets a raw deal here but where we are at i dont see a lot to be gained going forward. On the other hand no point persisting with swallow and dropping gibson.

He was unfairly maligned on here for years. He made sense in the 2013-2016 era.

He no longer makes sense.
Exactly, his shortcomings could easily be forgiven in that era, because we needed someone with his tank. He is a depth player for any club pushing for a top 4 spot.
He is not required for a club on a rebuild or reset or whatever fancy word is thrown around.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly, his shortcomings could easily be forgiven in that era, because we needed someone with his tank. He is a depth player for any club pushing for a top 4 spot.
He is not required for a club on a rebuild or reset or whatever fancy word is thrown around.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I actually kind of disagree. IF he was playing at the standard he was last year, then his gutrunning would be very valuable to us considering the number of low endurance athletes we have. But his form is no where near last years. IIRC he had a kid and a late start to the pre season. And when you're a one trick pony, and you don't do that trick to an exceptional level like you used to... Then, yeah, I say your position would defacto have to be up for debate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that there are different perceptions of where Gibbo's at as a player, and that posters will likewise have divergent views on the relative merit of continuing to select him going forward. While I'm no SC acolyte, the fact that he's currently sitting 4th for us after the first 3 rounds would seem to indicate that some people are getting a little carried away with the criticism, but that's fine. To a large extent, how you view Sam's future involvement in the side is dependent upon how you view where the club as a whole is at right now.

However, it is some posters obvious lack of balance and their willingness to distort and fabricate facts to fit a narrative that continues to leave me baffled. This week we have Gibbo getting potted for poor disposal in a game where he went around at 80%DE (while of course, other more marked examples of poor disposal pass by without comment). We have him getting potted for defensive run-with roles that he didn't even play. Or my favourite, we have him getting potted for the quality of his I50's when he had a whopping 1 in total for the game.

In all seriouslyness.....cbf'ed watching the replay before you race to jump on here and grind away at that axe? Fine. But shirley you can at least take a second or two to check the ****ing stat sheet first. Doesn't tell the whole story, but it may save you from posting a bunch of unfounded garbage that only serves to dumb down the discussion.

Officially over this lowest common denominator s**t. Sam is a limited footballer who has made the most of his strengths and been rewarded with an unbroken selection run since debuting for us. He gives his all for the club, week in, week out. And for that he cops a constant stream of belittlement and abuse on this forum. Acrimony, disrespect, name-calling, people hoping he gets injured....the whole nine yards. And somehow he deserves all that because the coaches pick him each week and he in turn puts on the jumper and tries his guts out for the club we love? **** off. Witnessing this sad toxic spectacle has not only given me a very dim view of some of my fellow "supporters", but it has also worked to sour me on this joint.

Anyway, apologies for the interruption. I'll leave y'all to get on with the brave, noble, life-affirming art of kicking one of our own on the internet. Enjoy.

I understand that there are different perceptions of where Gibbo's at as a player, and that posters will likewise have divergent views on the relative merit of continuing to select him going forward. While I'm no SC acolyte, the fact that he's currently sitting 4th for us after the first 3 rounds would seem to indicate that some people are getting a little carried away with the criticism, but that's fine. To a large extent, how you view Sam's future involvement in the side is dependent upon how you view where the club as a whole is at right now.

However, it is some posters obvious lack of balance and their willingness to distort and fabricate facts to fit a narrative that continues to leave me baffled. This week we have Gibbo getting potted for poor disposal in a game where he went around at 80%DE (while of course, other more marked examples of poor disposal pass by without comment). We have him getting potted for defensive run-with roles that he didn't even play. Or my favourite, we have him getting potted for the quality of his I50's when he had a whopping 1 in total for the game.

In all seriouslyness.....cbf'ed watching the replay before you race to jump on here and grind away at that axe? Fine. But shirley you can at least take a second or two to check the ****ing stat sheet first. Doesn't tell the whole story, but it may save you from posting a bunch of unfounded garbage that only serves to dumb down the discussion.

Officially over this lowest common denominator s**t. Sam is a limited footballer who has made the most of his strengths and been rewarded with an unbroken selection run since debuting for us. He gives his all for the club, week in, week out. And for that he cops a constant stream of belittlement and abuse on this forum. Acrimony, disrespect, name-calling, people hoping he gets injured....the whole nine yards. And somehow he deserves all that because the coaches pick him each week and he in turn puts on the jumper and tries his guts out for the club we love? **** off. Witnessing this sad toxic spectacle has not only given me a very dim view of some of my fellow "supporters", but it has also worked to sour me on this joint.

Anyway, apologies for the interruption. I'll leave y'all to get on with the brave, noble, life-affirming art of kicking one of our own on the internet. Enjoy.
Way to articulated post fot this thread.

Not sure whether he is just struggling a touch due to interrupted pre season or whether the list changes just mean more is expected of him (unfairly I'd say - he is what he is and was in very good form last year).

He's still far from our biggest problem but I'd love to know how his fitness is. Probably in a similar situation as we were 3-4 years ago with Gibson - when somebody can take his spot and produce the run we'll be a much better team.

Give Hibberd or Fordham an extended crack in his role. They couldn't be any worse and there is potential for upside at least
Yes, they could be worse, but I think the issue is that we hope, over time, they're better.

For me he is one of a number of senior players who is in the 'ideally shouldn't be in the team because we should have a younger player playing instead' basket. And while IMO he hasn't been as good as previous years he is the least of our issues in that regard. Swallow, Thomposn, and Thomas are all ahead of him in terms of deserving to give their spot to someone else. Other than a howler here and there he has been largely anonymous for mine, and I think the other three (whom we have much better 1 to 1 replacements for as well IMO) have been having a bigger negative impact on us.

I don't see us playing him, at this stage, as 'a waste'. I will say though that us playing all of Hansen, Thompson, Swallow and Gibson in the same team most certainly IS a waste of opportunity.

Another week another wasted game on the 30+ year old plodder

Man, you are boring.

8 out of every 10 of your posts are taken up by your sad vendetta against Gibson. And the other couple are usually some negative tripe about how s**t we are, or a lame crack at your other favourite whipping boy, JMac.

You are a prime example of why some people are currently questioning the quality of the posting on this forum. Your pathetic, one-line snipes possess no insight whatsoever. They just serve to lower the IQ of the joint and add to the mire. Your posting, to quote affable newcomer JenStephens, is pure and utter "garbage". If this joint ever implements some kind of quality control measures, your rubbish contributions to this forum will be first up against the wall.

We get it. You don't rate Gibson. Why post it multiple times every ****ing week? Doing so just makes you seem like you may not be the full can of Coke. How about stretching your clearly meagre intellectual capacity to contribute something to the forum other than "Out: Gibson"? Or is that indeed the sum total of what you have to offer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back