#44 - Matt Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah but admittedly he's only about 5 years old in the pic..... :p
Haha
Can't wait for him to turn into this
157590-brad-crouch.jpg

So where are those who were suggesting we would not draft a 2nd Crouch as the brother supposedly didn't get along...

Hopefully they give us some additional synergies on the field like other brothers have done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish Ogilvie's take on the draft.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-11-21/crows-draft-went-to-plan-ogilvie

“We worked out the scenarios when we got to the end of the first round. We were worried about Brisbane. We thought they might pick Matt, but they didn’t and it all worked out,” Ogilvie said.
“We feel very thankful, pleased and lucky that Matt was still there.”
“Matt’s a pure footballer. He’s not the greatest athlete in the world, but guess what he averaged 37 possessions a game in the TAC Cup after the Under-18 National Championships and he’d had limited preparation because he broke his hand early in the year,” he said.
“He’s got a lot of work to do with Nick Poulos and the fitness guys and he’ll have to work hard on it, but his core stuff of being able to play footy is good, so that’ll hold him in good stead.
“He’s a tough, contested ball player – a finals player. He’s an inside mid with really great vision. He takes the ball cleanly and is an elite decision-maker with his handball in traffic. He sees everyone.
“He’s got the footy chip and just knows how to play.”
“We obviously knew Matt well because of Brad, but we rated him on talent,” he said.
“It’s a bonus his brother is a really good player for our Club. We rated Matty right up there for his ability and he’s a great lad.
“If his name was Johnny Smith, we still would’ve picked him.”
Ogilvie said it was difficult to split several players, who were in the mix at pick No.23.
“I do feel for the other South Aussie kids. We would’ve liked to have picked them all, but we only had two picks,” he said.
“Matty Crouch and South Australian boys, Trent Dumont and Luke Dunstan … it was really hard to split them. I wish we could’ve picked them all because they’re great talents and quality guys.

Didn't Bernie, Tex and Brad live together? Bernie traded out for draft pick. Draft pick used on Matt, Matt moves into the spare bedroom which used to be occupied by Bernie.

I think their country side was Beaufort Crows - or something like that.

Correct.

Family live in Alfredton a suburb of Ballarat, father Phil teaches at Beaufort Secondary College 40km's west of Ballarat, also coached the Beaufort Crows A Grade footy team for a stint several seasons ago. All that bullshit that Brad and Matt don't get on and that Matt's lazy etc is all contrary to what I'd heard from people that know the family, all I'd ever heard was that both lads are quality individuals, very competitive in everything they try their hand. Both outstanding schoolboy cricketers by all reports. Stoked we got them both...Crows for life..:)

Big write up in the Ballarat Courier today. Cop the photo, who said Matt lacked physical development??

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/...att-crouch-to-join-brother-in-adelaide/?cs=62

MATT Crouch is looking forward to hitting the training track with his brother Brad and the Adelaide Crows.
Crouch, a Beaufort Crow, officially became an Adelaide Crow last night at pick 23 in the AFL national draft.

The Crouch brothers have played a little bit of school football together at St Patrick’s College and spent one season in juniors with Ballarat Swans.
Now they will be fully-fledged teammates.
“Me and my brother have a pretty good, close relationship,” Crouch said.
“He’s in Adelaide because he’s got training (today) but I spoke to him straight after my name was called.
“He’s stoked too. I don’t think he believed it really.”
Crouch said his parents, Phil and Debbie, were rapt to have both their sons together at the one club.
Brad Crouch was recruited to the Crows via the 2011 mini-draft, so this was the first time the family has experienced the national draft process.
They watched the draft unfold together with a couple of Matt’s closest friends in a low-key evening.
There were no guarantees but Crouch said that as the draft played out, he started to hope Adelaide might call.
“I didn’t know what to expect going into the draft but when my name was called, it was one of the best feelings in my life,” Crouch said.
“I had thought they might be a little bit interested ... but you’re never promised anything.”
It was a frustrating start to the season for Crouch, who was sidelined for almost two months with a broken hand, but his tenacity shone in his comeback.
Crouch was the sole Rebel to be drafted this year.
Lauchlan Dalgleish, a speedy midfielder rookied to Essendon in 2011, was upgraded to the Bombers’ list at pick 64.
North Ballarat Rosters dual-premiership player Brett Goodes, a mature-age rookie at Western Bulldogs where he worked, was also an upgrade at pick 84.
AFL Victoria and Rebels talent manager Phil Partington was on the Gold Coast for the call with head coach David Loader and assistant Damian Ross last night and had the bittersweet job of also calling players that missed out.
Partington said they were “pretty raw” calls but said it was more important than ever this year that players regroup.
The AFL rookie draft is next week – about two weeks earlier than usual – and clubs would start making their calls too, to gauge player reactions.
“There were 58 live picks in the draft and unfortunately the numbers ran out for some of the Rebels players,” Partington said.
On the flip side, Partington was thrilled for Crouch, who spent two days each week working in the Rebels’ administration this season as part of an AFL traineeship to complement his schooling.
“Matt’s a character and he’s also a determined young man,” Partington said.

“He certainly loves playing footy and that part of him can really take you a long way if you are going to make it in this game.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back