Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Great talent but question his motivations and his resilience.

Is it just about the $$$? Clearly AFL isn’t his great sporting passion, Gaelic is.

Left us once due to homesickness…a few years on good coin and maybe that happens again…I’m big on having people at the club who want to be here.

Yer there definitely issues with free agency.

Top 4 clubs shouldn't be picking up top tier players as free agents unless they lose a top tier free agent of the same value. Not that mckenna is one of those. But I don't think Cameron Daniher or Lynch should have been able to move to top 4 clubs unless they also lost a free agent.

Great talent but question his motivations and his resilience.

Is it just about the $$$? Clearly AFL isn’t his great sporting passion, Gaelic is.

Left us once due to homesickness…a few years on good coin and maybe that happens again…I’m big on having people at the club who want to be here.
I'd be rapt if we could get a compensation pick somehow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasnt he the guy who complained 24/7 about how much he didnt want to be here and wanted to be playing in Ireland with his mates and basically hated AFL and was only here for money $$ ??

I know we are desperate to have an international game and attract foreign players but maybe this is one the AFL should just say "yeah nah it's sweet, stay in Ireland"

I wouldn't mind him back if he was committed to playing AFL. He knows what it takes to be successful, and he obviously yearns for success, and we don't have many playing for us that have been successful at the top level.

Unfortunately though we're unlikely to see success in the short term, so if he comes to us it's more likely to be just for the dollars. If he wants to play finals and have a chance to win a premiership then you'd think he'd choose a club like Geelong.

Wasnt he the guy who complained 24/7 about how much he didnt want to be here and wanted to be playing in Ireland with his mates and basically hated AFL and was only here for money $$ ??

I know we are desperate to have an international game and attract foreign players but maybe this is one the AFL should just say "yeah nah it's sweet, stay in Ireland"
hahaha wtf?

Yeah not sure where you’ve got… really any of that from haha

Analogous somewhat to the Liam Jones scenario (i think McKenna technically retired at the end of 2020).

I think we would need to apply for compensation but Carlton got some so?

Did McKenna retire based off not wanting to comply with AFL requirements? I think Jones is a different circumstance, as he was contracted with Carlton for this season.

I don't think McKenna will qualify as a free agent because of that too.

You'd think Essendon have stayed in contact with him over the last couple of years, and that if he wanted to come back to us and we wanted him it would just be a done deal. The fact that it's reported there are a few clubs in the running suggests to me that he's not going to don the sash. I'd be shocked if we were to get any compo for him - retired off his own steam a couple of years ago, not really analogous to the Liam Jones situation at all I wouldn't think

I'd also suggest that McKenna is the type of guy that has a real drive for success. Strong desire to go back home and win the cup for his county, which he achieved. I don't think he'd be keen to come back to a basket case club with no real signs of any kind of success for at least the next 2-3 years.

Did McKenna retire based off not wanting to comply with AFL requirements? I think Jones is a different circumstance, as he was contracted with Carlton for this season.

I don't think McKenna will qualify as a free agent because of that too.
id argue we have a more legitimate case for compensation.
Our guy was likely happy to comply with AFL rules, but had his issues with homesickness and the impact of covid compounded by some poor external commentary.

Technically McKenna came out of contract in 2021, not this year, so slightly different, but we did lose 2 years of him plus the ability to extend that contract (or even trade him to said suitors).

Personally I don't think the blues should get compensation. But feels wrong if they do and we don't when Jones retired because he didn't want to comply with the AFL code at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back