Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer to think of it as trolling because trolling is pretty fun and calling Old Campaigner ignorant isn’t something I would do lightly.

Some people are really sensitive about this whole losing one of our best players thing.

I prefer to think of it as trolling because trolling is pretty fun and calling Old Campaigner ignorant isn’t something I would do lightly.

Some people are really sensitive about this whole losing one of our best players thing.
If 'Old Campaigner' implies that he/she is 'in the know', then maybe not trolling at all.

I'm my own worst enemy when it's a poster on our board because I'm more likely to believe than not. If it's passed off as fact I don't think it's too much to expect an explanation.

Old Campaigner, can you elaborate or are you toying with our emotions?

If 'Old Campaigner' implies that he/she is 'in the know', then maybe not trolling at all.

I'm my own worst enemy when it's a poster on our board because I'm more likely to believe than not. If it's passed off as fact I don't think it's too much to expect an explanation.

Old Campaigner, can you elaborate or are you toying with our emotions?
Old Campaigner posts 'gone' every single time there is a vague mention or chance of someone leaving. It's just a joke and just his shtick. Relax.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a question for the gallery. Purely speculative... Say Conor did require more flexibility - would you be OK if the club treated him say like a veteran who gets managed for 16-18 a game season? (revised contract of course)

If we could arrange it so he could get home a couple of times a year around our fixtures. Would that work for club and fans?

Is he that good a player to bend things like that it does it cause friction in the camp

I have a question for the gallery. Purely speculative... Say Conor did require more flexibility - would you be OK if the club treated him say like a veteran who gets managed for 16-18 a game season? (revised contract of course)

If we could arrange it so he could get home a couple of times a year around our fixtures. Would that work for club and fans?

Is he that good a player to bend things like that it does it cause friction in the camp
i think it's worth it and would be generally understood in principle. Though maybe the guy who gets dropped when he returns harbours a grudge?

Also - 16-18 games is one thing. Ten games would be another.

I would think the players would want to be assured he is training super hard and professionally when in Ireland. I'd be pissy if I felt he was going back into the potato & guiness lyfe. Also - if i was his teammate I would want his flexibility to be negotiated and then locked down. Eg if he was committed to 16 games and then wants to be home more I would say enough is enough. Some flexibility is good but at a certain point commitments have to be commitments.

Also - his salary should be reduced according to his new flexibility. It's like going 0.8 at work. They don't pay you for 5 days.

i think it's worth it and would be generally understood in principle. Though maybe the guy who gets dropped when he returns harbours a grudge?

I would think the players would want to be assured he is training super hard and professionally when in Ireland. I'd be pissy if I felt he was going back into the potato & guiness lyfe. Also - if i was his teammate I would want his flexibility to be negotiated and then locked down. Eg if he was committed to 16 games and then wants to be home more I would say enough is enough. Some flexibility is good but at a certain point commitments have to be commitments.

Also - his salary should be reduced according to his new flexibility. It's like going 0.8 at work. They don't pay you for 5 days.

flexibility to be negotiated and locked down sounds like an oxymoron - but i agree

flexibility to be negotiated and locked down sounds like an oxymoron - but i agree

Something like an extended mid-season break over the byes might be the kind of things you'd look at - allow him a game either side of the bye and suddenly he's got ~ 4 weeks he could return home to spend with family, which is pretty close to what he did this year.

I imagine there'd be an associated reduction in match payments at a minimum, along with the possibility you lose your spot in the side if the player replacing you is in form.

Maybe if he doesn't want to be a full time AFL footballer with Essendon we cancel his contract and find players that do?

That or we could let all the Irish guys rotate theough 1 spot part-time and then anyone else who gets homesick can have a special deal too! Sounds manageable. We could go full semi-pro!

What's wrong with the old ' if they aren't good enough or don't wanna be here fu** em off principle ' .
Absolutely nothing. If he's not all in like the others you let him go - as much as I'd hate to see that. He's my equal favourite player at the club with Stringer.

Last edited:
What's wrong with the old ' if they aren't good enough or don't wanna be here fu** em off principle ' .
Does it really need to be spelt out?

I'm a dumb fu**, you spell it out for us.
Just because someone wants two things, doesn't mean he wants out, or one thing more than the other. If all he wanted was to be home, do you honestly think he wouldn't have left permanently already? He wants to be here, he just also wants to be there.

Why piss him off, if he realizes he wants to come back and automatically rejects us? The guy is a star and not a problem one at that. If we tell him to * off it'll be the same scenario as we had with Stringer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back