Past #45: Oscar Junker - won't be offered a new contract - thanks for your efforts Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

Highlights can be misleading but I'd have taken him ahead of the previous 4 rookie/nd selections based only on the footage.
Just working my way through these today after some travel in the past few days. Haven't seen the others yet, but they'd have to be good to beat Oscar. Very impressive indeed.

Love all the rookie draft picks. Especially this one, think he will impress pretty quickly at VFL level, his game suits the slower style. He's got sticky hands and he's a real big body in the middle of the ground, especially as he will put on muscle pretty quickly in a full time AFL environment. Will be one of the better players at Werribee in the next 24 months.

Think he's a real shot at being one of the big success' out of this draft for us.
Pykie agrees, or you agree with Pykie. I agree with you both.

Lots to like about this pick. Hopefully he gets developed as a mid/wingman and not a half back.
You can never have too many left footers, 190cm+ is a bonus, penetrating kick, good mark, versatile, leadership, ticks a lot of boxes, welcome and good luck Oscar.
Quality name, if he can develop into a tall mid or KPP could be a really good pick up. Welcome to the NMFC, Oscar.
Draft phantom type quotes...

Junker’s versatility is certainly a strength that will come in use at AFL level and whether he is developed into a Marcus Bontempelli-type midfielder or more of a swingman type is yet to be determined. He has all the attributes to be a very good player at the elite level and will look to build on a couple of improvements.

Oscar Junker is a player that certainly attracts the attention with his blond mop and movement around the field. He has no problems using his bigger body to win one-on-one contests and beat opponents both at ground level and in the air.

In saying that, Junker has also shown he can play in defence, which adds to his versatility. I personally like seeing him stream down a wing and pump the ball inside 50 to a leading forward or play that high half-forward role leading out of the 50 and creating opportunities for teammates. But he does have the experience of being behind the ball, dropping into the hole and taking an important mark before kicking to safety. He will not die wondering with some of his possessions and while they could be risky at times, he has the distance that is a valuable asset.

Finally, Junker has a rare ability to win one-one-one contests in the air against stronger opponents. To average 1.3 contested marks per game is phenomenal for a midfielder..

Junker has no problem moving around the ground and getting to contests, he just needs to win the ball a bit more at those contests.

Oscar Junker will be somewhat of a project player at an AFL club. This is not in the traditional sense of Junker needing time to develop, but more so finding a position and role and making it his own. He has the traits to succeed at the top level, he just needs to build his consistency and perhaps find a bit more ball.
Pretty decent height, but with some pace and agility. Seems to be level headed and a calm decision-maker. The above comments seem to be on the money. He's so 'versatile', the question is where/how do you play him. It'll be interesting to see. If he's got the tank to go through the middle, I'd do that so he can play wherever the hell he needs to.

He's Scotty Thompson height, so if he can add ducking the head to his repertoire, he could play there, but I agree with the above posters, I'd prefer to have him move around the ground.

That's yer McKenzie replacement right there.
You-trolling...-Why-you-do-this.jpg

Player comparison: Luke Shuey
1j2lw6.jpg

Yep will soon become a cult hero down at the club I would reckon, Really looking forward to a few interviews.

with those initials it has to be juice

I'll be surprised if Juice isn't the nickname he winds up with.

Not to be confused with the latest * recruit. Here he is sporting his training top reporting for duty for preseason.

juiced-jersey.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing him up close in that video it's more clear why he was only rookie listed. Got a lot of work to do on his body if he wants to be an AFL midfielder. Don't like to see a shoulder strapped up with that ahead of him but hoping he can do it because he seems like a ripping lad, love his attitude and the skills he showed in his highlight reel. Extra credit for saying "super duper" in his first AFL interview.

I can't wait for the day he's kicked on and finds himself being tagged just so I can yell "OJ's gunna murder you ya hack!"

Another well spoken recruit is Juice. Hopefully he has a bit more growing to do too.

Please tell me the media team logged on here and saw the first two pages of his player thread being all DFisms, and decided to ask him about it. Please tell me that's what happened.

They'd never admit it but we know

Seeing him up close in that video it's more clear why he was only rookie listed. Got a lot of work to do on his body if he wants to be an AFL midfielder. Don't like to see a shoulder strapped up with that ahead of him but hoping he can do it because he seems like a ripping lad, love his attitude and the skills he showed in his highlight reel. Extra credit for saying "super duper" in his first AFL interview.
Get him on the Juice!

It seems as if Oscar 'Juice' Junker is developing fast. He's put on a couple of kilos in a month (now 86kgs) and won all of the individual events at the 1st year camp.

I've heard he's proven to be one of the fastest players at the club. Josh Williams, Shaun Atley, Oscar Junker top three for 10 metre sprint for the club.

...he's very competitive and always has been. A bit of luck and the talent he possesses will shine through once he improves his body to AFL level.
I agree he is impressive and an opposition recruiter I know talked him up. He said he does impressive things but lacks consistency, but he has good qualities. Needs to put on a few kilos but will develop into a good size mid.
Yeah, well he played for the Western Jets who were pretty bad. He was thrown around every position every game, it made it a bit hard to be consistent.

I laughed when I heard Brett Anderson a so called draft expert doing the round up of every clubs draftees. He said when it came to Oscar he said he's slow and that's all he said.

Copied across from the 'At training' thread so it's "preserved for posterity"/easier to find in future. Hope you both don't mind.

There are really only a couple of knocks on him and they are:

- his consistency - which can be attributed to playing in a crap western jets side + Injuries.

- no clear position - has played half back/half forward/wing and a bit through the middle. Another reason why he was inconsistent at TAC level because he wasn't able to settle in a position.

- build - due to growth spurt he is a bit lean but still has a solid enough frame to build from.

He is fast, hard working, solid skills, tall, good runner. There is a lot to work with. Excellent rookie pick up in my eyes.

There are really only a couple of knocks on him and they are:

- his consistency - which can be attributed to playing in a crap western jets side + Injuries.

- no clear position - has played half back/half forward/wing and a bit through the middle. Another reason why he was inconsistent at TAC level because he wasn't able to settle in a position.

- build - due to growth spurt he is a bit lean but still has a solid enough frame to build from.

He is fast, hard working, solid skills, tall, good runner. There is a lot to work with. Excellent rookie pick up in my eyes.
And for good measure he actually looks like a footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back