Past #5: Ben Jacobs - delisted after 64 NM games/10 NM goals - thanks Benny

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree.

Preparing the quarter time oranges is more in line with his skill set, provided he doesn't cut his hand off in the process.

okay i was thinking more of a full back role with limited zone area as in scott to daw: 'you are in this x times y area and never to go out of it' Jump high and put fist to ball'. Daw would be exceptional if he is in a closely packed area with no space where others need a run up he could just jump at it. Since his marking has been poor as i remember seeing him often jump at ball with one arm, that's perfect for defense as you only need to touch it first then its down to the ground.

However, with a captial H, we really need 4 small defenders with high defensive pressure and ground work skill. Don't like atley and clarke in defense as i feel they are too loose and you add Daw (minimal pressure skills), McMillian (too big to be a lock down) then you essentially have 5 out of 6 defender who are likely to be of inferior defensive pressure skill than the opp.

Now if what the news circulating is accurate, mcdonald will be into the midfield, atley should be primarily in the mid, this allows us to add 2 new small lock down defenders. Nowadays is all about mass pressure, full court press, this is the predominant way to win now. Swarm tactics. Outrun your opposition. You need to go small and gradually you will be able to wittle down your opp's stamina and open the game up towards the last quarter or third.

I am really hoping this year and beyond, it wouldn't be a bad thing if we have 1 or 2 less tall players than the opposition as we will ultimately outrun the opp. So one Brown is more than enough as key forward, 1 tarrant will ensure defense is sound and stable. Daw despite the hype is a bit of a surplus atm as nielson and durdin both will provide far more structure and much younger. However if Daw can be managed well, he would be an exceptional gain...

okay i was thinking more of a full back role with limited zone area as in scott to daw: 'you are in this x times y area and never to go out of it' Jump high and put fist to ball'. Daw would be exceptional if he is in a closely packed area with no space where others need a run up he could just jump at it. Since his marking has been poor as i remember seeing him often jump at ball with one arm, that's perfect for defense as you only need to touch it first then its down to the ground.

However, with a captial H, we really need 4 small defenders with high defensive pressure and ground work skill. Don't like atley and clarke in defense as i feel they are too loose and you add Daw (minimal pressure skills), McMillian (too big to be a lock down) then you essentially have 5 out of 6 defender who are likely to be of inferior defensive pressure skill than the opp.

Now if what the news circulating is accurate, mcdonald will be into the midfield, atley should be primarily in the mid, this allows us to add 2 new small lock down defenders. Nowadays is all about mass pressure, full court press, this is the predominant way to win now. Swarm tactics. Outrun your opposition. You need to go small and gradually you will be able to wittle down your opp's stamina and open the game up towards the last quarter or third.

I am really hoping this year and beyond, it wouldn't be a bad thing if we have 1 or 2 less tall players than the opposition as we will ultimately outrun the opp. So one Brown is more than enough as key forward, 1 tarrant will ensure defense is sound and stable. Daw despite the hype is a bit of a surplus atm as nielson and durdin both will provide far more structure and much younger. However if Daw can be managed well, he would be an exceptional gain...

Structuring the whole team around the unlikey event that Daw is a competent footballer is a complete waste of time.

Structuring the whole team around the unlikey event that Daw is a competent footballer is a complete waste of time.

well sometimes the team has to change for the player as you would need to restructure the classroom for a few students.

well sometimes the team has to change for the player as you would need to restructure the classroom for a few students.

But mate, the only benefit arising from your strategy is that there are more spoils of potential opposition marks in their forward line. But a punch spoil just turns into a 50-50 loose ball in the opposition forward line. Not sure it is worth a position in the 22 for such small payoff.

I'm not restructuring my whole class room to find a spot for the school dunce. He either sits in the corner or he goes to special ed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I'm not restructuring my whole class room to find a spot for the school dunce. He either sits in the corner or he goes to special ed.

No offence but that would make you a pretty awful teacher. What makes a great one is finding a way to involve all students equally, despite their different strengths and weaknesses. Putting 'the dunce' in the corner is effectively relegating a kid to be second class, which is the worst thing a teacher can possible do

No offence but that would make you a pretty awful teacher. What makes a great one is finding a way to involve all students equally, despite their different strengths and weaknesses. Putting 'the dunce' in the corner is effectively relegating a kid to be second class, which is the worst thing a teacher can possible do
No offence taken.

I'm building my classroom, ie football team, to be the best in the business. Not everyone gets a turn so they don't feel left out. Not everyone gets a hug.

No offence taken.

I'm building my classroom, ie football team, to be the best in the business. Not everyone gets a turn so they don't feel left out. Not everyone gets a hug.

but what happens if the dunce is a genius that has yet to meet the right condition and circumstance for break out and we dont know what the condition and circumstances are...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not while the best opposition mids rip as new ones every week.

if that's our football department's thinking then we are still in the school of having one defensive player or a stopper where that 'stopper' should be all the mid + rotation. The ben jacobs' role should essentially taken by a plethora of players.

if that's our football department's thinking then we are still in the school of having one defensive player or a stopper where that 'stopper' should be all the mid + rotation. The ben jacobs' role should essentially taken by a plethora of players.

...hasn't happened since 2010.

Your mids can't all be defensive and some players are instinctively better at one of attack or defense than the other. At a stoppage you often have a choice to attack or defend and you have to commit before the ball is in play or you are always gonna be one step behind an opposition player who commits to attack. Tagging means concentrating on one opposition player instead of the ball at stoppages. You don't want your best ball winners doing that because automatically they work against their strength instead of with it. Some taggers are competitive and prefer to beat the player they are tagging in a contest but most just focus on preventing the other player getting clear useful possession. That focus on the man not the ball makes them reactive not proactive - i don't want to see a midfield made up people doing that.

Any more. I'm sick of it.

Is there a reason we've never tried him in his natural position of ball winning inside mid? He's had some prolific games at VFL level hunting the ball but has never been given the chance at AFL level, always played at half back or tagging. His value as a tagger is quite evident but I'd be interested to see what he could do just playing as just a normal mid

Is there a reason we've never tried him in his natural position of ball winning inside mid? He's had some prolific games at VFL level hunting the ball but has never been given the chance at AFL level, always played at half back or tagging. His value as a tagger is quite evident but I'd be interested to see what he could do just playing as just a normal mid
Not sure of the reason, but he was starting to show that he could tag and get 15-20 touches as an inside mid before he got injured. I’m surprised we haven’t trialled Hibberd on the inside seem, like Jacobs, his vfl numbers were excellent as an inside mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back