Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the best outcome the club could squeeze out for an OOC player that wanted out, wasn't completely committed to embrace a role. Hence it wasn't a poor outcome
Thats one way of looking at it.

In response to your post, and to Garters post directly under yours, the same context shows he’s almost a 100 gamer averaging about 20 a year over 5 (he’s durable); played forward, middle, back (he’s versatile); 23 y/o (he’s young and skilful, with scope for improvement under a stable coaching system); appeals to fans (possible marketing value). A pick in the 30s feels fair and reasonable. It was possible.

Agreed his OOC status diminished the club’s bargaining posture. But, barring injury or physical impedement, it didn’t mean a 52 fire-sale was inevitable. Club might have contributed to the narrative which eventually effected the outcome; either positively or by not doing enough to alter perception. Our FM’s opening statement at start of trade period, and the LM’s closing commentary on TR on Friday support that inference.

Clubs and supporters generally advance the best true version of the circumstances in support of their own club’s interests. Feels somewhat different in this instance.

Anyway, ill leave it there as I think I may have reached perceived agenda threshold.

Last edited:
Thats one way of looking at it.

In response to your post, and to Garters post directly under yours, the same context shows he’s almost a 100 gamer averaging about 20 a year over 5 (he’s durable); played forward, middle, back (he’s versatile); 23 y/o (he’s young and skilful, with scope for improvement under a stable coaching system); appeals to fans (possible marketing value). A pick in the 30s feels fair and reasonable. It was possible.

Agreed his OOC status diminished the club’s bargaining posture. But, barring injury or physical impedement, it didn’t mean a 52 fire-sale was inevitable. Club might have contributed to the narrative which eventually effected the outcome; either positively or by not doing enough to alter perception. Our FM’s opening statement at start of trade period, and the LM’s closing commentary on TR on Friday support that inference.

Clubs and supporters generally advance the best true version of the circumstances in support of their own club’s interests. Feels somewhat different in this instance.

Anyway, ill leave it there as I think I may have reached perceived agenda threshold.

Not disputing it was under market value, I thought a late 2nd/early 3rd was around the mark, we just had very little leverage given all the circumstances

Lewis Taylor, a rising star, averaged over 20 games a year, first 5 years, fell out of favour as he struggled with form, then traded a year later for pick 48

In terms of identifying talent from a pick in the late 30's to 20 picks later is similar, we just decided to use that pick on an established need

Mentally just trying to prepare myself long term to expect it going to be not as long term regret as it has been seeing Josh Kennedy play all his best football at West Coast when knew it was a mistake from the start by my club. It unlikely to be that bad but probably going to be more akin to something in between watching Robinson at Lions or Waite at North play football for a number of seasons knowing they never really should have gone and we gave them up for virtually nothing.
Sad to see Samo go as really liked him as a character and loved his kicking skills that were reeled in to be kicking shorter by stupid coaching and then played out of position. The only good thing is thankfully those coaches are gone so hopefully will not see it cost us any more talented young guys going to another club for the best years.
Good luck Samo. You got a good character in Simmo to coach you and hopefully you able to catch up with more family more often between seasons.
Go well at West Coast, just not too well when you playing us, please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you show me where the inference to racism exists

It's definitely there Arrow, not the first time that it's been alluded to. Anyway, at the end of the day he is an unfulfilled talent who was given 94 opportunities at the top level who never performed consistently or at the level we all expected him to. There is no doubting that he's a talented player but the reason that many aren't particularly upset by him going is that he seemed to lack the desire and hunger to succeed. Whether that is a fair reflection upon him or not, it is the perception.

I know that we want to blame Teague for everything but SPS was given the opportunity. I don't accept the 'he was played out of position' narrative either. Whether you are playing your preferred position or not you have to give 100% for the team.

I'm disappointed with how it ended, I think we all had high hopes for SPS. His departure won't make the difference between us being successful or not ,we move on and I wish him all the best for the rest of his career. Interesting to read his interview after he joined West Coast where he said he was willing to play wherever the team need him to play but he hoped that long term he would play in the middle.

Can you show me where the inference to racism exists
I think it's interesting how many people decided they didn't warm to him and are happy he's out. Makes me wonder if there's reasons outside of footy that are involved, given the fact that there's not much actual disagreement about whether or not he can play.
right there

I Remember his first quarter against the Tigers and thinking we have got a natural champ here. From memory he had around 6 possessions and was constantly moving to get in the best position get the ball.

I think all of his natural instincts have been coached out of him. Bit of a tragedy really. Hope he does well in WA.

Last edited:
Samo was just interviewed by the pipe on SEN - started with "bit early here in WA but lets get into it"
it's 10.30 am over there FFS!!
i love the kid but it kinda says it all right there ...........................................

It's definitely there Arrow, not the first time that it's been alluded to. Anyway, at the end of the day he is an unfulfilled talent who was given 94 opportunities at the top level who never performed consistently or at the level we all expected him to. There is no doubting that he's a talented player but the reason that many aren't particularly upset by him going is that he seemed to lack the desire and hunger to succeed. Whether that is a fair reflection upon him or not, it is the perception.

I know that we want to blame Teague for everything but SPS was given the opportunity. I don't accept the 'he was played out of position' narrative either. Whether you are playing your preferred position or not you have to give 100% for the team.

I'm disappointed with how it ended, I think we all had high hopes for SPS. His departure won't make the difference between us being successful or not ,we move on and I wish him all the best for the rest of his career. Interesting to read his interview after he joined West Coast where he said he was willing to play wherever the team need him to play but he hoped that long term he would play in the middle.
I think it's rather silly to completely wipe away the good performances he had in favour of a coach who set us back two years on the basis of comments made by Steven Silvagni on SEN. You know, the same SEN that gets people's knickers in a twist whenever Cane Kornes opens his mouth or Gerard Whateley explores the edges of his thesaurus to say something.

SPS could play. For whatever reason, Teague saw fit to play him in a role to which he was not suited, and he's gone now in no small amount due to it. People (for whatever reason) didn't warm to him, and he copped significantly more flak than his performances warranted. I take leave to question why that is; people are welcome to disagree with me for whatever reason.

I'm glad he's gone. Let West coke eagles enjoy his 10 meter side kicks.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
And people wonder why I wonder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back