Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Love players that shimmy to find space instead of giving off, this bloke does it consistently, Fisher looks like he loves to hold onto the pill and do the same.

You'll get caught sometimes but it will come off more often than not if you're confident in doing so, allows time to find a target with less pressure

Pendlebury does this very subtly - master at it - just stands still sometimes when players expect him to move! Not sure if he learned it from basketball, but it does "buy time"; SPS and Fisher have definitely shown this ability.

I don't think the number of where he went had anything to do with it, it was the team he is forced to play for.

Who wouldn't have been disappointed with what happened to not go GWS, GF favourites looking at long term success and Essendon are a regarded as one of the big 4 Melbourne clubs, possibly could make finals.

Instead going to a team in crisis, with a bullying reputation and likely hunting for a spoon. Even GCS look better placed long term! Be interesting if he does a FIGJAM and starting saying that he is coming back to Melb no matter what.

Brisbane have really stuff this one up IMO. They had a player in Anisworth that had openly stated that he wanted to be drafted by them and play along side ex team mate Josh Schache.
But have chosen to take the best available player, without factoring in if that player wants to play footy for them.
Last time they did this they took James Aish, he was considered a major flight risk, they took him anyway because he was best available and considered to good a talent to pass on, it looks like they've leaned nothing.

I don't think the number of where he went had anything to do with it, it was the team he is forced to play for.

Who wouldn't have been disappointed with what happened to not go GWS, GF favourites looking at long term success and Essendon are a regarded as one of the big 4 Melbourne clubs, possibly could make finals.

Instead going to a team in crisis, with a bullying reputation and likely hunting for a spoon. Even GCS look better placed long term! Be interesting if he does a FIGJAM and starting saying that he is coming back to Melb no matter what.
Having Berry and Cox head up there with him will help him settle in no doubt.
I doubt Melbourne would hold as strong an appeal for him as many others as he's from Allansford and has been boarding in Ballarat for a while so Melbourne isn't exactly home like it is for many others.
In any event it's not our concern, I'm rapt with SPS - hopefully he can come in and work his way into senior contention ASAP.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Looks the goods really, has that x factor we lack, hopefully that forward who can go onto the ball at times that we dearly lack, good chance to play from round 1.
Pretty sure this guy is a good as a pure mid as they come. If fit, and able to add a few kegs, I would think he is just about in our starting centre square by mid point of the year. Absolute class.

Relax, I'm making the point the kid is eighteen and has only learnt to speak English four years ago.
So I'm sure he didn't start speaking English at school.
Club is responsible to help him catch up on my opinion and take him to a strong level of education.

You're asking a footy club to also become an education facililty for teenagers/adults.

Shouldnt have to do that for a pick 5. He will be 2-3 hour meetings daily about football. At that level he should just get it IMO

SPS would have never been regimented and told what to do 8 hours a day. He will take 18-24 months to adjust to the life style of a professional athlete. I don't expect to see him playing next year unless given a few game tasters in the back half of the season.

Not only mentally taxing but physically on his body. SPS would had always relied on talent and instinct as AFL comes easy to him at colts levels. Expect home sickness, expect injuries, expect a guy to be tested mentally every day of his life. AFL players are competitive beast that are very selfish individuals. There's little love when injured or not playing from team mates. If you let your team mates down in a game you can expect to know about it game day, at training and in the media all week.

This AFL environment is unbelievably exhausting for any kid irrespective of the fact he comes from a strict background and private school education finishing VCE or from a cattle station / learning centre facility for indigineous kids.

I still hope he comes good but I'm still in the boat that I believe Carlton is not in a position to invest so much into an individual just to get him game ready.

But he's a blue boy and now will support him like no other to be the next AFL star we recruited him to be.

Last edited:
Brisbane have really stuff this one up IMO. They had a player in Anisworth that had openly stated that he wanted to be drafted by them and play along side ex team mate Josh Schache.
But have chosen to take the best available player, without factoring in if that player wants to play footy for them.
Last time they did this they took James Aish, he was considered a major flight risk, they took him anyway because he was best available and considered to good a talent to pass on, it looks like they've leaned nothing.

What is the point of having something called the 'national draft' if players pick and choose and dictate where they go before they are even in the system? It's total madness when they say they are happy to go anywhere and then up and leave after 1 or 2 years. What ever happened to seeing something through, putting in hard work, and committing?

Good on Brisbane for choosing the best available talent. I agree with their stance. If teams can't take the best talent at their selection then it's a joke of a system and not truly a 'national draft'.

Fortunately, I don't think we will have this issue with SPS as he seems a very dedicated young lad and sounds highly dedicated to forging a successful carerr with us! The more we continue to talk about SPS, the more exciting it is to picture him running around in the navy blue jumper next year.

He will be 2-3 hour meetings daily about football.

midway through 2017 SPS will be able to articulate as well as BB. "Im just really getting comfortable being uncomfortable" "I have to be able to endure "
"im not going to get too high or too low" "we arent defined by wins or losses" we have sprouts all over the place" "We are on a journey" Of course when the poor bugger goes home they will all be scratching their heads a bit- "we thought you went away to play football Sam- you a gardner or something bro?"

You're asking a footy club to also become an education facililty for teenagers/adults.

Shouldnt have to do that for a pick 5. He will be 2-3 hour meetings daily about football. At that level he should just get it IMO

SPS would have never been regimented and told what to do 8 hours a day. He will take 18-24 months to adjust to the life style of a professional athlete. I don't expect to see him playing next year unless given a few game tasters in the back half of the season.

Not only mentally taxing but physically on his body. SPS would had always relied on talent and instinct as AFL comes easy to him at colts levels. Expect home sickness, expect injuries, expect a guy to be tested mentally every day of his life. AFL players are competitive beast that are very selfish individuals. There's little love when injured or not playing from team mates. If you let your team mates down in a game you can expect to know about it game day, at training and in the media all week.

This AFL environment is unbelievably exhausting for any kid irrespective of the fact he comes from a strict background and private school education finishing VCE or from a cattle station / learning centre facility for indigineous kids.

I still hope he comes good but I'm still in the boat that I believe Carlton is not in a position to invest so much into an individual just to get him game ready.

But he's a blue boy and now will support him like no other to be the next AFL star we recruited him to be.
I'm sorry.
Are you saying that footballers do nothing but their football commitments?
There are footballers who are doing all kinds of stuff plus playing football.
That's one of the secrets with turning young men into MORE than footballers.
You can't be serious about footballers finishing year 12 and that's it for them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A football club should absolutely be an education facility for young men. After all, they're spending at least 50 hours a week together, it's a hectic commitment.

How many times has Bolton said that he wants to help the players become better men, not just football players? Develop and nurture quality individuals.

All the draftees will take at least a year to adjust to the new regimented lifestyle, even the ones from Toorak.

Edit: after further consideration, it appears as though Jacob Weitering needed only a handful of seconds to adjust.

Last edited:
Nah, kicking partner is often chosen to build confidence....

.... So I see Bolts choosing Zac Fisher.... :)

So Bolts can build his own confidence?

I did like Taranto and Ainsworth a lot, but I am a sucker for a good story (Eddie Betts top billing there) and SPS is a ripper. The Top End is very different from the rest of Australia and a lot of Aboriginal communities are like other countries, many of them effectively Third World. That a kid like this emerges from there could well be of great benefit to his community and ours.

Oh, and he looks like a terrific player too.

As mentioned, I think this kid seems quite intelligent. I get the impression he is keen to learn not only footy, but life as well. He was keen to move to Melb. See what its all about. He seems curious and has the confidence to deal with new challenges. I hope this kid has a great 15 year career with us and becomes a great ambassador for our club and his heritage.

You realise this applies to every player who gets drafted?

As for your other points

-Homesickness; perhaps somewhat, but he's been living out of home for 4 years. He wanted to come to Melbourne and has the experience (at a younger age) of leaving to pursue AFL football. Out of our interstate players, he's the most equipped to leave home.
Injuries; projection; he may or he may not. He'll no doubt feel more fatigue, as all draftees do but injuries aren't guaranteed one way or another.
Tested mentally; of course, as all draftees are. He's been tested the past 5 years though and already shown resilience, persistence and dedication above his years.

As for your point about not being in a position to get him game ready - He has done more work to get to where he is than any prospect in the pool. His work-rate isn't going to decline because he now has to work a bit harder.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start Round 1 and play the vast majority of the season.

Nah, kicking partner is often chosen to build confidence....

.... So I see Bolts choosing Zac Fisher.... :)
True, but for different reasons ferris.

After last years draft, Bolts put in a special request to SOS......for *s sake can you you please recruit a gun player I can look in the eye, my necks killing me every time I talk to Crippa and Harry.

You realise this applies to every player who gets drafted?

As for your other points

-Homesickness; perhaps somewhat, but he's been living out of home for 4 years. He wanted to come to Melbourne and has the experience (at a younger age) of leaving to pursue AFL football. Out of our interstate players, he's the most equipped to leave home.
Injuries; projection; he may or he may not. He'll no doubt feel more fatigue, as all draftees do but injuries aren't guaranteed one way or another.
Tested mentally; of course, as all draftees are. He's been tested the past 5 years though and already shown resilience, persistence and dedication above his years.

As for your point about not being in a position to get him game ready - He has done more work to get to where he is than any prospect in the pool. His work-rate isn't going to decline because he now has to work a bit harder.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start Round 1 and play the vast majority of the season.

Reckon he plays round one too. Not sure why one would think he won't play 2017 if fit....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back