5 Years on we still here

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree ... Nothing wrong with his article, in fact he was merely stating the obvious, and repeating what was on people's minds and being said in the boardrooms. The tenor of the article is more along the lines of "Can Port be saved from the inevitable?"

But, but, everything Rucci says in this aritcle is 100% correct, and was a lot less vitriolic than what people were saying here on BF at the time. It seems we can slag our coaches & players here as much as we like, but others cant! I was not a fan of Rucci through those years, but much of what he said was spot on, we just hated him for airing it in public.

Yes, that's basically what he wrote. Market too small for two clubs but but AFL wants and needs two clubs. We all knew the latter was true and also feared the former might be true - 'because Adelaide mentality' can grind down almost anyone eventually. But let's not over Trump-splain too much of the rest of his narrative.

Retreating into 5015 was as much not an option as "Southern" or "Ochre" Power was. In retrospect the lack of ambition and imagination in looking at SA alone is obvious, and the need to go international somehow to gazump the suffocating 'local market' until time and death did it's refreshing was the only option. But how do you do even think that when you're playing poor footy at a poor venue at an unsustainable financial model imposed upon you essentially by the evil puppet master of your local rival who got a six year head start monopoly on you and then for good measure scored a double-Bradbury-flags generational jump on you with 'winning over the kids' just as you entered the comp? Imagine if we hadn't won 2004. So IMO, for our club execs of the time and just a few years later, trying to deal with the vampire weekly at our throats, some of the myopics and exhaustion can be excused. Siege mentality much? And then, at the height of their powers over us, they impose a GM who unexpectedly "went native", turned around and picked a worthy fight that he could never win alone, accidentally triggering much of what happened since. Winning that phase of the war - that there would always be a Port Adelaide - required an external cavalry to give us some relief from the SANFL vampiry and the time and space to do our large scale on and off-field re-thinking. Which meant that we needed to show we were worth saving, rather than just barely alive enough to start a losing fight with a bigger dog. Enter Casual, Koch and Ken.

For Rucci to be dancing on our dug soon to be filled grave like that with that false sadness probably says "I am getting leaks from a few players about some on-field issues, now please let me into the SA footy scoop of all time about how you're going to fix things off field". And yes Foley would have been the wrong man standing. Had far too many issues of his own at his throat.

It's not his job to compare us to faeces. He didn't care about being constructive, he just wanted to sit back and say "I told you so!" when it all turned to s**t. He fancies himself as a bit of a playmaker and likes to throw jabs when he doesn't get his own way. He could have spent his time analysing what needed to change and putting the microscope on some of the external things that were holding us back from being sustainable but nope it's easier to sink the boot in like everyone else. The very fact that you compared his journalism to a football message board really says it all.
That might be your personal view of him, but that is not in the article or the point of it. he was reporting on what was being proposed at the time, not his opinion of what should or shouldnt take place. People are just too sensitive! And that includes me! I wanted to kick him in the nuts at the time ... but looking back at it, it was just all true!

I absolutely agree that Foley would have been an unmitigated disaster for the club!
A bombastic drunk. As State Treasurer trawling the nightclubs late at night feeling like he could do whatever he wanted from under
the security blanket of a safer than safe seat.

That might be your personal view of him, but that is not in the article or the point of it. he was reporting on what was being proposed at the time, not his opinion of what should or shouldnt take place. People are just too sensitive! And that includes me! I wanted to kick him in the nuts at the time ... but looking back at it, it was just all true!

Too sensitive? I don't think so. I can't think of another instance where any professional sporting club has had a headline that out and out called them s**t. Like literal s**t. It's not acceptable on any level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2012 who would've thought we would be where we are now.
Maybe, if it wasn't for those hard times, we would be stuck in a nice stagnant comfort zone like the crows.

"Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you reach the top".

Last edited:
The sad thing is they'll probably give this withered old coot a state funeral when he eventually croaks.

I might head down to make sure the campaigner's dead.

In 2012 who would've thought we would be where we are now.
Maybe, if it wasn't for those hard times, we would be stuck in a nice stagnant comfort zone like the crows.

"Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you reach the top".
We go thru this every 25 years or so.

It was a good day.
That number 10 had a good day. :)
RSmZcNl.gif

Boaky's pocket:
tx17q8F.gif

We should never forget that they wanted to dance on our grave.
We don't forget. All that's left, is once those revenue streams from China are locked in and we're financially set, is for the club to drop playing nice with the SANFL and go all guns blazing at them to get the * out of anything to do with the AFL in this state. First and foremost them having spots on the SMA board instead of us (and The Team Constrained to South Australia).

I love casual being casual, but I hope to see the day the casual is dropped, we crush our enemies in the SANFL, see them driven before him and hear the lamentations of their women.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back