Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

It actually has little to do with my personal "feelings" on the matter mate, the fact is that when he plays in a position under certain conditions and with the right team balance, then he has consisitently been as devastating a forward as exists in the game.

The super-coach posse have the attention span of a tape worm. Just automatically ignore them.
I have no idea what supercoach has to do with it (perhaps a bit of virtue signalling) but I play supercoach and am dead set against trading Brown. Certainly not if, as Kane Cornes suggested this morning, he wouldn't warrant a first round pick, rather an early second rounder. After this season I think that is about all we would be offered and we would be mad to even consider it

Not saying I'd take the Stephenson for Brown proposition but I think an interesting question.
Our immediate history is littered with big fish failures (albeit media driven mostly) and a lack of substantial movement on our list with regards to our better players. We have been mediocre for a long time, let's face it.
Maybe it is time to make a move and plan for the future because this young crop is good. If we can add a few more decent young players and potentially get another senior player, e.g. Williams from GWS, you never know your luck in the big city and we're all of a sudden not far off it come 2022 or so.

I'd suggest a big part of the problem is not so much the quality of the inside 50's but the decision making / choices to go to BBB on so many occasions. The reality is that if there are 2 or 3 on 1 situations then the team is failing if they are kicking to him at all.

It definitely plays a part. If it's put out in front of him on a lead then its hard to block him or knock him off balance.

Most of this comes from the timing of the midfield with Ben's presentation, and I reckon a LOT of work needs to go in to this over the next pre-season.

Hall, Froggy and even Polec torch our forwards with their inside 50's on far too many occasions.

Trading Ben now would be peak stupidity.

Just 12 months ago the asking price for Brown would be 2x 1sts, one of which would need to be top 5. Why the hell would you ship him out now when his value is at his lowest?

I can't imagine that a smart operator like Brady would consider trading him out. It also gives us the image of being happy to dump players when they are going through a rough patch (both on and off field), which would make us substantially less appealing to FA's.

I reckon we'll back him in with a 3 year deal, rest him as much as possible for the rest of the season and reap the benefits when the league hopefully returns to normal next year.

Honestly don't think anyone here questions his character or ability.

He's a 60 goal a year forward. This year is irrelevant given very few forwards are doing great with shortened dew soaked games. I don't think it will alter his value much at all. Clubs may try but in the end they know what they will be getting.

It's simply a change of direction for the club. The time of the over 27s is at and end. No disrespect to any of them, we are just building for the future now. As we should.

Love sideshow but it may well be best for both parties if the right deal appears. If it doesn't we keep a great person and player, if it does we bring in some quality youth. Win/win.

There is no fire sale here.

If anyone is willing to give 2 first rounder, then we would be the dumb ones to not trade it. Brown will never be your no.1 kingpin forward. You can say but but but 60 goals 3 years in a role. Well i can say that 2017, 2018, he had Waite for company, last we we had Larkey firing and woods doing something and ziebell on good form. This year when all above were injured and it was only him, he fired blanks. So trade trade trade. There are plenty of players out there through the free agency who can do a stop gap role ala Walker. We have generally done well with FA so we stick to what we are good at. Get the youngsters, something we have done oaky since 2016. THis year we ******* pocket 2 - 4 1st rounders.

I've posted this before (upon his drafting) but if anyone thinks Brown anything other a top bloke they are wrong.

Grown up in the tougher suburbs of Hobart, made it the hard way on his own equally hard work. No fancy pathway from private school and TAC draft here......

People can make fun of him and family looks etc, that's their (immature) choice, but fact is he's been bloody good for us - so those writing him off and trade etc upsets me as so premature.

I understand kicked more goals (or close to it) than any other player in the league last 3 years in an average team.

Good luck Browny and immediate family personally and physically in various ways.

View attachment 929079
One of my mum's two oldest friends taught one of those kids.

Brown is a certifiable weapon. He kicked 180 in 3 years with a below average midfield. He’ll kick 80 if LDU, Scott, Thomas, Jy and Josh Kelly pop in 2023. Unless a top 5 pick is in the table, I’m keeping.
Plus another first rounder.

Plus another first rounder.

I agree but for me Brown is the type of hard working, standard setting, North loving player that trade value isn't everything.

I want to keep him.

If his form is as bad next year sure, open discussions but not yet when heaps of top quality players have been struggling big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winter is the best season in sth East Qld.
Cool evenings, mornings. Sun hitting 9am pretty good. Oceans and views are crystal clear.
The odd day here or there where you keep your hoody on all day.
With days warm enough at times you can get a tan if your outdoors. And rug up in the evening.

If you hate humidity, then winter is the best season but doesn't last long enough

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah it's beautiful, I'm technically in Northern NSW but less than 20 km from the border. Tho sky's been crying all day here. Out of the blue, it will be clear again tomorrow. Two years ago the local shop keeper and a good mate ****ed up on his bike and hit a semi trailer at 150 km/hr. I'd like to the think the place is remembering.

I'd suggest a big part of the problem is not so much the quality of the inside 50's but the decision making / choices to go to BBB on so many occasions. The reality is that if there are 2 or 3 on 1 situations then the team is failing if they are kicking to him at all.
Especially at times this year when we had JZ (briefly), TT, CZ, the Scan, at times Cunners and others who can all take take contested marks in or around the forward line.

When Browny kicked 10 we went to Larkey in the first and he kicked three or four goals didn't he.

Use Browny as a decoy till half way thru the second and opposition defences will be beside themselves.

I agree but for me Brown is the type of hard working, standard setting, North loving player that trade value isn't everything.

I want to keep him.

If his form is as bad next year sure, open discussions but not yet when heaps of top quality players have been struggling big time.
Really same here.

It would be hard to knock back two more firsts including a(nother?) top five pick this year tho. The people making list management decisions would have to think about t seriously.

Really same here.

It would be hard to knock back two more firsts including a(nother?) top five pick this year tho. The people making list management decisions would have to think about t seriously.
If BBB had had another year like his last 3, he would def be worth a top 5 pick....but we ain't getting even close to that now.....Keep him and change how we bring the ball in.

Really same here.

As a huge Brown fan and Tasmanian (as you know), I'd hate to see him go.

However I don't think 2 first rounders is close to realistic with his injury and form.

It's in BF sphere not reality.

If offered that yes I'd take it, but I would also that for everyone on our list bar maybe Simpkin and Thomas.

Honestly don't think anyone here questions his character or ability.

He's a 60 goal a year forward. This year is irrelevant given very few forwards are doing great with shortened dew soaked games. I don't think it will alter his value much at all. Clubs may try but in the end they know what they will be getting.

It's simply a change of direction for the club. The time of the over 27s is at and end. No disrespect to any of them, we are just building for the future now. As we should.

Love sideshow but it may well be best for both parties if the right deal appears. If it doesn't we keep a great person and player, if it does we bring in some quality youth. Win/win.

There is no fire sale here.
Problem is some posters are questioning his ability. They know who they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back