Free Agent # 6: Joe Daniher - derp Brisbane player

Remove this Banner Ad

Good draft capital?

Pick 9 & 25? I’d barely call that good draft capital. The problem was Sydney’s unrealistic expectations that they could low ball us.

And you’re right, there was no adequate replacement in this year’s draft, so the draft capital was diminished even further.
It was pick 9 and a future first that was the best offer.
The problem is there is still not time frame on his return. There may not have been a KPF replacement of Joe's ability but when is there ? There have been very few Joe Daniher's recently. You could be waiting 5 drafts to find one. That does not diminish the value. Nine and for arguments sake another pick in the 5 to 10 range next year would have / will produce two decent players in other positions.
I think it was a dumb move knocking back potentially two top ten draft picks despite how good he "could" still be if he can get back. Does not look all that great for early next season right now.

The problem with the JD potential trade was unrealistic expectations placed by EFC - You were never going to get a JD replacement from the 2019 or probably the 2020 draft - Missed a golden opportunity to move on a disgruntled player for good draft capital.
I couldn't agree more. Good organisations would have pivoted around this and use it as an opportunity. I would have moved on Fantasia as well and there's 3 quality picks to help create a top 4 midfield.

It was actually a lifeline to address our list imbalance and we snubbed it to tread water. Add to this he's not happy with the club and may not handle this year with the maturity we've been sold on either.

Good draft capital?

Pick 9 & 25? I’d barely call that good draft capital. The problem was Sydney’s unrealistic expectations that they could low ball us.

And you’re right, there was no adequate replacement in this year’s draft, so the draft capital was diminished even further.

So why waste everyone's time if you had no intention of trading JD - Pick 9 and 25 is over's for a player who is no certainty to play effective footy again - Take the money and run instead of posturing that you are a tough guy.

Dodoro's request for established players was fair. With the list we currently have, if we don't have the same injuries as 2019, the belief is there that we have the ability to challenge. People forget, in 2018 we smashed the 2018 premiers on their own deck. Last year we beat the runner-up. In 2020, if Joe's fitness issue is solved, who knows? But it has taken this long to get the talent on the list, I'm happy we're taking the chance. Besides, when Sydney were asked for established players as compensation, they baulked.

The integrity of our list quality needed to remain uncompromised for 2020, or no deal.

So why waste everyone's time if you had no intention of trading JD - Pick 9 and 25 is over's for a player who is no certainty to play effective footy again - Take the money and run instead of posturing that you are a tough guy.
A fair amount of time was spent talking to other clubs, to see if a player (possibly Mason Cox) could be had as part of the deal. But nothing came of it. Both clubs needed to at least be seen exploring options for a trade to happen. The final offer was 9 and a future first. (9 and 25 was an earlier offer).

It's not as easy as just trading Joe and Fantasia to fix the midfield through top picks, had we done that we would be taking a backwards step to rebuild and I'm sure a lot of fans would've been ok with that but... Shiel, Smith, Saad, Stringer, Heppell, Hurley, Hooker they want it now not in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not as easy as just trading Joe and Fantasia to fix the midfield through top picks, had we done that we would be taking a backwards step to rebuild and I'm sure a lot of fans would've been ok with that but... Shiel, Smith, Saad, Stringer, Heppell, Hurley, Hooker they want it now not in 2023.
Except now we're clearly not good enough and it'll take another five years.

wanna bet?
Things can change pretty quickly with the right game plan and philosophy. Look at the dogs at the of 2014 people thought they were heading for the spoon the next year. Played finals in ‘15 out of nowhere and won a flag the next year. Richmond made a quantum leap out of nowhere in ‘17 after everyone thought they were a middle of the road side. Look what clarko has done with hawthorn the past couple of seasons. Essendon has enough talent on its list, it’s just a matter of executing an effective gameplan than everyone buys in to. Caracella is the key for the next couple of seasons.

Last edited:
Things can change pretty quickly with the right game plan and philosophy. Look at the dogs at the of 2014 people thought they were heading for the spoon the next year. Played finals in ‘15 out of nowhere and won a flag the next year. Richmond made a quantum leap out of nowhere in ‘17 after everyone thought they were a middle of the road side. Look what clarko has done with hawthorn the past couple of seasons. Essendon has enough talent on its list, it’s just a matter of executing an effective gameplan than everyone buys in to. Caracella is the key for the next couple of seasons.
My expectations are based on past performance for over a decade instead of what two other clubs managed to do.

Daniher kicks 50+ would have a huge impact, he’s our franchise player. Swans valued him and that’s why they were going to offer multi million, multi year contract, eventually to replace Buddy as face of the franchise. They tried to low ball.

It was pick 9 and a future first that was the best offer.
The problem is there is still not time frame on his return. There may not have been a KPF replacement of Joe's ability but when is there ? There have been very few Joe Daniher's recently. You could be waiting 5 drafts to find one. That does not diminish the value. Nine and for arguments sake another pick in the 5 to 10 range next year would have / will produce two decent players in other positions.
I think it was a dumb move knocking back potentially two top ten draft picks despite how good he "could" still be if he can get back. Does not look all that great for early next season right now.
Also would've given us the cap room to chase a guy like Wines. I don't hold much hope for him fully recovering from an injury that's been debilitating him for the past two years and also forced his brother into and early retirement. Too many big egos at the club to look past the Daniher name and see what opportunities the move could've created.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back