Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t remember his left footer to Waite?

I like Garner and was ok (if worried) on his contract extension.

But this "match winner" nonsense needs to stop.

Dusty is a match winner, Garner has done nothing even close to that since day 1.

Dusty is a match winner, Garner has done nothing even close to that since day 1.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone talk about him outside of potential, and with a good run at it his potential is huge. Unfortunately though his body has failed him and we’ll probably never see that potential. He’s taken the best mark since Edwards, kicked clutch goals from all angles, competes like a lunatic. Every time he plays he gives his best and tries to make things happen.

No ones comparing him to Dusty, Dusty has the good fortune of being both gifted skill wise and gifted with a body that can hold up to AFL standard. He won the football lottery.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone talk about him outside of potential, and with a good run at it his potential is huge. Unfortunately though his body has failed him and we’ll probably never see that potential. He’s taken the best mark since Edwards, kicked clutch goals from all angles, competes like a lunatic. Every time he plays he gives his best and tries to make things happen.

No ones comparing him to Dusty, Dusty has the good fortune of being both gifted skill wise and gifted with a body that can hold up to AFL standard. He won the football lottery.
Sounds like an improvement on Turner then - get him in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the more quizzical senior list decisions so far.

I can't think of a more frustrating player in the last 20 years.

Mason Wood - The guy had some serious limitations finding the ball, I understand why he didn't make it.

It's Garners 9th season at the club for a grand total of 45 games.

He's almost missed 5 complete seasons of football out of 9 ffs.

We lament Phil Kelly's hamstrings and he still managed 61 games in 5 seasons.

The guy just isn't built for football.

A stronger club would have cut him lose a long time ago. He's a very fortunate boy in all honesty. 2017 saved him and got him a further 4 years out of it.

1617772320208.png

Last edited:
I can't think of a more frustrating player in the last 20 years.

Mason Wood - The guy had some serious limitations finding the ball.

It's Garners 9th season at the club for a grand total of 45 games.

A stronger club would have cut him lose a long time ago.

View attachment 1096178

He's a talented player in his power and ability to affect contests but you'd think he was kicking bags of 5 when he was actually getting on the park based on his reputation sometimes.

I can't see any reason why you'd keep Taylor and delist Majak - both high risks healthwise but one is a much better chance to get on the park and can provide coverage in multiple roles.

Best case for Taylor is providing more of what we already have.

He's a talented player in his power and ability to affect contests but you'd think he was kicking bags of 5 when he was actually getting on the park based on his reputation sometimes.

I can't see any reason why you'd keep Taylor and delist Majak - both high risks healthwise but one is a much better chance to get on the park and can provide coverage in multiple roles.

Unbelievable the amount of perennially injured list spots we carried between Majak, Jacobs, Garner, EVW and Wood over the years.

The 5 have been fit for about a combined 20 games in the previous 5 years.

The opportunity cost of the Nick Larkey types that we missed out on by continually clinging onto these guys hurts.

We could have looked at another 5-10 players in the time period they have been injured with their list spots.

Unbelievable the amount of perennially injured list spots we carried between Majak, Jacobs, Garner, EVW and Wood over the years.

The 5 have been fit for about a combined 20 games in the previous 5 years.

The opportunity cost of the Nick Larkey types that we missed out on by continually clinging onto these guys hurts.

We could have looked at another 5-10 players in the time period they have been injured with their list spots.
I can understand majak, EVW (a lot of unlucky impact injuries and good when he played), and wood (got his body right in the end) but the other two...

How he got another contract based on that last game is beyond me. The writing was on the wall a few seasons back when we basically had to 'weekend at bernies' him through pre-season training.

Don't even get me started on the long term injury list and missed opportunities :/

Curtis Taylor?

Curtis Taylor?

Et al. Keeping a perennially injury 27yo who doesn't trouble B&F placings and has no history of leadership at the club when we have Zurhaar, Taylor, Scott etc who can all cover the same spot just seemed odd.

The development benefits of Daw (protect the younger talls and provide structure) or Higgins (gun player, leader, role model etc) would've been far better imo.

I'm not suggesting Taylor Garner is s**t, more that the odds of him being on the park most weeks and the best case scenarios up against our list build didn't make much sense.

But one our one good game, get in front of them on knees, swallow then sign em up for 600k on the cheap for 5 years has worked a treat.

Dont you think Garner deserves a mural?

Et al. Keeping a perennially injury 27yo who doesn't trouble B&F placings and has no history of leadership at the club when we have Zurhaar, Taylor, Scott etc who can all cover the same spot just seemed odd.

The development benefits of Daw (protect the younger talls and provide structure) or Higgins (gun player, leader, role model etc) would've been far better imo.

I'm not suggesting Taylor Garner is sh*t, more that the odds of him being on the park most weeks and the best case scenarios up against our list build didn't make much sense.
I see what you are saying now. He was the luckiest guy to keep a spot given who we got rid of. Yet again we have played 3 games of a new season and he hasn't been considered available for selection due to managed loads and injuries. Unless there is some miraculous turnaround in his availability he is cleaning out his locker for the last time in the first week of September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back