Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

A. Both have had significant time out so need at least a week or 2 at VFL level to get some match conditioning.

B. I'd like to see that they can both get through a game or 2 of VFL without breaking down. The last thing you want is to bring a bloke in of a really bad hammy, having him go bull at a gate and breakdown in the first 5 mins. Being a man down doesn't help at all.

I know Dal came back last year, but a bloke of his experience no doubt paced himself a bit. Some may say he is still pacing himself.....

People suggesting garner or anderson straight in really have no idea. They will play 2 weeks at least in the 2's before being considered. Their first vfl game will be limited to about 50% game time.
If we are that desperate to replace nahas, Wagner is probably the only like for like replacement available. He tackles and defends well and I can't see him offering any less than what nahas has offered offensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a small forward who isn't injured (Wagner). We seem to lack faith that draftees can play to basic instructions.

Agree with that side issue but honestly I didn't think Nahas was as bad as everyone has been making out. Most times I looked he was the only bloke chasing and he drilled some ok passes as well as providing some severely lacking energy.

Agree with that side issue but honestly I didn't think Nahas was as bad as everyone has been making out. Most times I looked he was the only bloke chasing and he drilled some ok passes as well as providing some severely lacking energy.

He, as a small forward, needed to nail those opportunities.

I'd rather an average performance from a guy with massive scope for improvement, than one from a twice rookied 28 year old.

Not for Nahas, no way. Completely different types.
I reckon wood is just as good as nahas at ground level, whilst also has a better tank to get up the field and be the option for the link man, which would hopefully isolate someone like Waite on Batchelor inside 50.

We have a small forward who isn't injured (Wagner). We seem to lack faith that draftees can play to basic instructions.

Conversely, Sydney threw Marsh into it against the ladder leader. The softly, softly approach is bullshit and we don't get to see if they're up to it (and even if we do they're still the first dropped after a loss...)

I reckon wood is just as good as nahas at ground level, whilst also has a better tank to get up the field and be the option for the link man, which would hopefully isolate someone like Waite on Batchelor inside 50.
Nope, he is not even close to as good at ground level, and doesn't have the instinct to tackle and harass like Nahas, even though he had other attributes that are way in front of him.
I want wood in, but not for Nahas.

Conversely, Sydney threw Marsh into it against the ladder leader. The softly, softly approach is bullshit and we don't get to see if they're up to it (and even if we do they're still the first dropped after a loss...)

Exactly.

We seem to place far too much emphasis on who were playing when it comes to debutants.

Marsh has been on Sydneys list for 4 years. It is a little bit different to a rookie who has played half a dozen VFL games.

Marsh has been on Sydneys list for 4 years. It is a little bit different to a rookie who has played half a dozen VFL games.

Sure. However, Sydney have debuted 5 players (not entirely sure on that figure but its 4+) this year and find themselves in second place. I fear that we get stuck in archaic thinking that experience automatically makes you better. I've mentioned it in a couple of threads but some of our youngsters in the VFL would actually do a better job than those in the first team. Would McKenzie or Dumont have got a sniff but for injuries? The sentiment of 'back them in' is noble and certainly shows confidence in your players yet I'm not convinced it is actually beneficial in the long run.

As an example, Petrie had a shocker last week but I'd be very surprised if he didn't suit up against Richmond, meanwhile Wood and Daw will languish in the VFL despite the fact that they haven't dished up (pardon the pun) anything that poor in the few occasions they're broken into the team this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be against them pulling the trigger and having one of them come straight back in, don't think it will happen however.

Yeah, we're not a club that likes to rush back injured players. I'd be surprised if either will play this week.

Nahas was mostly adequate over the last two seasons. But he is a level down on his average this season. And whilst I agree that he at least provides some energy, he is not doing enough to justify a player of his age getting a game in front of Wagner, who judging from what I saw in VFL, could provide as much energy, but gain valuable experience in the process.

He is not a small forward, Wagner. We know that, but he has been assigned the forward pressure player role at Werribee, and has done a reasonable job. Hasn't hit the scoreboard as much as we'd like, but has shown enough to give him a taste for it in my opinion, given Nahas's current output.

Back in the VFL this week.

From what Scott said, they intended to give him as many games as possible this year, no doubting the talent or the commitment, just needs continuity.

Very rapidly becoming my favourite player.

Points of interest
1. Taylor Garner made his return after almost two months out of action with a hamstring injury. Wearing long sleeves in number 77, his trademark pressure was on show.

“He looked like an AFL player playing in the VFL today, which is an indication of his class,” Dyer said.

“His attack on the ball is ferocious and we saw it again today. In a contested game, a player that can crack in and spill the ball is really important.

“He played basically a full game with normal rotations and he got through it well.”

Meanwhile Garner played his first game for almost two months after injuring his hamstring in Round 3 of the AFL.

The 22-year-old played his first game for Werribee after being aligned with North Ballarat in previous VFL seasons.

“It was just about going in and playing my style and not worrying about structures too much,” Garner explained.

“You do meet the (Werribee) boys as soon as you get here. You introduce yourself, they introduce themselves.

“It’s quite easy, and made easier when there’s so many North guys. Everyone just gets around each other.”

The happiness was clear to see as Garner spoke about his performance post-match and the long road back.

“It was obviously fairly frustrating, I’d had a few little setbacks and even though it was wet today it was just good to be back out there.

“It was good to get my hands on it quite early, that helped settle everything. After that it was an inside battle.

“I’m absolutely stoked to get back and get through unscathed.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back