Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

North website saying that he has come good post season. Hopefully gets a full pre-season in and can play 22+ plus next year.

If Garner and Turner both play full seasons next year im not so sure we are any worse off in terms of personel from 2016 to 2017 especially when you add in Jacobs Wright Mcdonald Higgins and Wood to the mix. Could be a very exciting year if all falls our way.

Where is this bloke at? Expecting him to feature in 2017? if fully fit will he play midfield?

With Jed now coming from further back this year we really need Garner to put his injuries behind him. A Garner / Higgins / Wood / Waite infused forward line has a massive amount of talent, physicality, class and aggression.

With Jed now coming from further back this year we really need Garner to put his injuries behind him. A Garner / Higgins / Wood / Waite infused forward line has a massive amount of talent, physicality, class and aggression.
Massive amount of talent and all very prone to injury :'(

When is he contracted to? If this is his final year of his contract its well and truly a make or break year
I wouldn't think so, considering his year will be affected by a limited pre-season due to a training accident, and last year's was also injury-affected. Also, don't forget that he cost us a first round draft pick.

Massive amount of talent and all very prone to injury :'(

Absolutely, outside of Wood anyway. That is an elite forward line fit (IMHO) and leaves a lot of room for us to experiment in the midfield but it is vulnerable to injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't think so, considering his year will be affected by a limited pre-season due to a training accident, and last year's was also injury-affected. Also, don't forget that he cost us a first round draft pick.

First round pick or not he has given us bugger all over the 12 months and ultimately has only shown glimpses in his 16 games. We can only keep these sort of guys on the list for so long before we have to cut our losses. Kieran Harper for example.

Harps played 40 games between 2010 and 2015. Was cut after 2 and a half injury prone seasons. He was a 2nd round pick in a very solid draft.

Garner has played 16 games in 4 seasons. If he doesn't have an impact this year due to injury or from then he should be demoted to the rookie list imo.

I love the way Garns goes about it, and think he is a huge potential but how long do you wait for a half forward that can't find the footy more than 15 times per game?

First round pick or not he has given us bugger all over the 12 months and ultimately has only shown glimpses in his 16 games. We can only keep these sort of guys on the list for so long before we have to cut our losses. Kieran Harper for example.

Harps played 40 games between 2010 and 2015. Was cut after 2 and a half injury prone seasons. He was a 2nd round pick in a very solid draft.

Garner has played 16 games in 4 seasons. If he doesn't have an impact this year due to injury or from then he should be demoted to the rookie list imo.

I love the way Garns goes about it, and think he is a huge potential but how long do you wait for a half forward that can't find the footy more than 15 times per game?
Awww s**t, for some reason I thought we were talking about Jed. :oops: Carry on... :drunk:

Talking about Garner in the Garner thread... I must be loopy :drunk:
As it is in fashion I would like to blame shintemaster for the misunderstanding. He mentioned Jed and both threads were up at the same time.
I'm also pessimistic about Taylor but really hope he can overcome the odds. Still think he could be a great player and his low disposal count could be improved by overcoming the injuries that have plagued him.

Anderson will be 23 tomorrow and has played 20 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 27 games at VFL level for 47 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 11.75 games a year.

Garner has turned 23 recently and has played 16 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 18 games at VFL level for 34 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 8.5 games a year.

Unfortunately you would think that all this missed football will have had a long term impact of the development of both Garner and Anderson. Garner in particular is still spending time in the rehab group because he has to be managed through the preseason. How is he supposed to develop his game if he plays so little of the games available to him?

I’ve taken the position that if we get anything decent out of these guys it’s a bonus. Both are very talented players but have never been able to put together a proper run of games where they have been able to mature as footballers. At 23 they have missed far too much valuable development time. I can’t think players who has spent so much time on the sidelines early in their career and then went on to become consistent, good performers at AFL level

Anderson will be 23 tomorrow and has played 20 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 27 games at VFL level for 47 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 11.75 games a year.

Garner has turned 23 recently and has played 16 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 18 games at VFL level for 34 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 8.5 games a year.

Unfortunately you would think that all this missed football will have had a long term impact of the development of both Garner and Anderson. Garner in particular is still spending time in the rehab group because he has to be managed through the preseason. How is he supposed to develop his game if he plays so little of the games available to him?

I’ve taken the position that if we get anything decent out of these guys it’s a bonus. Both are very talented players but have never been able to put together a proper run of games where they have been able to mature as footballers. At 23 they have missed far too much valuable development time. I can’t think players who has spent so much time on the sidelines early in their career and then went on to become consistent, good performers at AFL level
Our own Robbie Tarrant?

Hard to argue with too much of this (although there are exceptions such as Tarrant). If I was betting Jed would be the safer one as he's missed a fair bit through freak / illness type of issues rather than chronic soft tissue. Either one playing 150 games would be a bonus though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back