Past #6: Taylor Garner - delisted end '21 - 49 NM games/37 NM goals - go well Garns

Remove this Banner Ad

Anderson will be 23 tomorrow and has played 20 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 27 games at VFL level for 47 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 11.75 games a year.

Garner has turned 23 recently and has played 16 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 18 games at VFL level for 34 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 8.5 games a year.

Unfortunately you would think that all this missed football will have had a long term impact of the development of both Garner and Anderson. Garner in particular is still spending time in the rehab group because he has to be managed through the preseason. How is he supposed to develop his game if he plays so little of the games available to him?

I’ve taken the position that if we get anything decent out of these guys it’s a bonus. Both are very talented players but have never been able to put together a proper run of games where they have been able to mature as footballers. At 23 they have missed far too much valuable development time. I can’t think players who has spent so much time on the sidelines early in their career and then went on to become consistent, good performers at AFL level
How about Robbie Tarrant ? does he fit the criteria ?

Maybe but at least they don't have to look far for a great example of what you can do with hard work and the support of a fine football club.

I'm not sure the Tarrant to Anderson/Garner is equivalent. We had a clear hole in our list for young talented KPP, who physically nearly always take longer anyway.

I doubt either Anderson or Garner will be afforded the same amount of time to produce as Tarrant was, considering they are more easily replaceable and can end up becoming a liability. (assuming their injury curse continues, which of course nobody wants)

Anderson will be 23 tomorrow and has played 20 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 27 games at VFL level for 47 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 11.75 games a year.

Garner has turned 23 recently and has played 16 AFL games over 4 years. In that time he has played 18 games at VFL level for 34 games in 4 years in the system for an average of 8.5 games a year.

Unfortunately you would think that all this missed football will have had a long term impact of the development of both Garner and Anderson. Garner in particular is still spending time in the rehab group because he has to be managed through the preseason. How is he supposed to develop his game if he plays so little of the games available to him?

I’ve taken the position that if we get anything decent out of these guys it’s a bonus. Both are very talented players but have never been able to put together a proper run of games where they have been able to mature as footballers. At 23 they have missed far too much valuable development time. I can’t think players who has spent so much time on the sidelines early in their career and then went on to become consistent, good performers at AFL level

Great post. Sums it up perfectly.

I'm not sure the Tarrant to Anderson/Garner is equivalent. We had a clear hole in our list for young talented KPP, who physically nearly always take longer anyway.

I doubt either Anderson or Garner will be afforded the same amount of time to produce as Tarrant was, considering they are more easily replaceable and can end up becoming a liability. (assuming their injury curse continues, which of course nobody wants)
That's true. The club won't extend the same amount of patience but they can still approach their careers with the same positive attitude and perseverance to rehab that Robbie has shown.

Holy s**t I forgot about this guy damn kid has some talent can't wait to see our best team out there in 2017

Waiting in anticipation of being howled off the boards, but this is my biggest concern with the former top 10 draftee we picked up dirt cheap from the GWS. Should/could be absolutely anything on pre draft form, and I am very bullish about what he may bring, but how do you compensate for effectively zero footy in your first 3 seasons? Dirt cheap or not, he's on the same trajectory as Garns and Jedi

Waiting in anticipation of being howled off the boards, but this is my biggest concern with the former top 10 draftee we picked up dirt cheap from the GWS. Should/could be absolutely anything on pre draft form, and I am very bullish about what he may bring, but how do you compensate for effectively zero footy in your first 3 seasons? Dirt cheap or not, he's on the same trajectory as Garns and Jedi

Any player who lacks serious continuity in their first 3-4 seasons will struggle to live up to their potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any danger in the club giving a Garner update?

As long as Setanta O'Hailpin has nothing to do with it, good call.

BZuV2e.gif

I've heard he has had some sort of setback. Good source. That's all I've heard, no idea what or to what extent - if true (and previous info from same source has been 100%) hopefully minor and not related to the hammy.
Oh * off!!! ( Not directed at you joegreen)

Hrovat is almost 23 from the same draft, also a mid/forward and has had his share of injuries. Has played 30 AFL and 24 VFL. 54 games in 3 years for 13.5 a year. All 3 need a good run of injuries and extended time in the ones when they are fit.

I've heard he has had some sort of setback. Good source. That's all I've heard, no idea what or to what extent - if true (and previous info from same source has been 100%) hopefully minor and not related to the hammy.

................. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No news from the Kremlin is often not good news.

Tend to agree, is the the way with our media department.

If kids are progressing after injury they usually pump the s**t out of it on the website.

Seems like a good portion of our recruitment policy is targeting injury-prone players from other clubs/as sliders in the draft and backing our medical team to get them right. High risk/high reward. However, what if we've overrated Saunders and co.? We did somewhat overrate the depth of our list last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back