Past Kurt Tippett - retired 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

BREAKING*

Kurt didn't win a kid's choice award.

sibling-superstars-winners-1024x576px.jpg

*very likely old news

Rumour Tippett will retire next week (on the rumour thread) might have some legs considering the surgery and age. Seems premature to me but perhaps not being able to get out on the field to train or jog (no evidence of that yet) knows it's too far back to come from. Oh well at least some fans will be happy if true.

Hope it's false

s**t news all around if that's the case, our best ruckman (in my opinion) is out for the year and our already slim ruck depth just gets hammered again.

Naismith, Sinclair, Cameron & Amartey? Yikes.

Also means I'll have to find something else to argue with Punts about ;)

Thought he already did

Go down as one of if not the worst decisions this club has made in the recruiting department in a long.

Waste of ******* money
Come on Punts, don't hold back, say what you really think!

Has been cruelled with injury whilst with us. I remember his early 2016 form when he was injury free and in line for AA as the best ruck/fwd in the game. Still our best ruckman when fit. Deserves this to be a false rumour and finally have a better run with injury.

At his best he is well worth the investment IMO. When we got him he was "a catch" in so far as he was a good age, size & had shown glimpses he was about to tear the game apart. And in his first half season he was a gun forward & something we'd been crying out for for years.

Unfortunately for him & us, injury & other factors (e.g. the then unexpected arrival of Buddy taking his role) has meant he hasn't been able to live up to the expectations I suspect we, the club & he probably had when he signed up.

I hope this rumour is BS as I'd like to see him prove a few wrong before it's his time. Then again, realistically, based on history thus far, I know given his body & the role he's being asked to play the chances of him dominating & flipping the bird to those critics is unlikely. At best he'll pull out a handful of good games in his annual purple patch however injury or form will prevent a full season of it (allowing the haters to hate somemore).

He could've been so bloody good. Stupid hindsight.

At his best he is well worth the investment IMO. When we got him he was "a catch" in so far as he was a good age, size & had shown glimpses he was about to tear the game apart. And in his first half season he was a gun forward & something we'd been crying out for for years.

Unfortunately for him & us, injury & other factors (e.g. the then unexpected arrival of Buddy taking his role) has meant he hasn't been able to live up to the expectations I suspect we, the club & he probably had when he signed up.

I hope this rumour is BS as I'd like to see him prove a few wrong before it's his time. Then again, realistically, based on history thus far, I know given his body & the role he's being asked to play the chances of him dominating & flipping the bird to those critics is unlikely. At best he'll pull out a handful of good games in his annual purple patch however injury or form will prevent a full season of it (allowing the haters to hate somemore).

He could've been so bloody good. Stupid hindsight.
I wish I could "Like" this post ten times over, this is exactly my thoughts on the big Tipps. And yes BBB, hindsight is wonderful and makes us all experts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish what ?

Who is wishing extra pain on him?

Forced retirement

Didnt mean you wished anything bad on him mate

I just mean nice to think everyone can go out when ready or not good enough rather than body failing them

It's a very unfortunate way to go out if true.

In hindsight his signing will go down as a failure. In the end it's just a case of the club taking a risk as it does with lucrative signing and it not quite paying off as it happens with a lot of investments.

Having said that, I really hope the rumour is a load of rubbish and he still has some good performances left in him. Wouldn't help our cause in contending for the premiership with our unconvincing ruck stocks.

For Kurt Tippetts personal point of view, I hope that injury hasn't ended his career. At his best, he was a crucial part of the team. Unfortunately he didn't rise to those heights often enough, and if injury is likely to curtail the rest of his career, I can see why he might not wish to push himself, especially if the club has indicated he will likely play a large proportion of his footy in the seconds.

From the clubs point of view, given Kurts historical output, his likely delay, perhaps not of his season but by the time he gets up to speed (we know Kurt takes some time post injury to get it together) plus his age, you can see why the club might wish to move on either getting games into other players (Cameron for instance), or changing to playing with a one ruck structure.

For me, I would feel sad for Kurt having his career ended effectively by injury (if that is the case). But I don't necessarily think it would be a bad thing for the club should it occur.

It would free up salary cap, could see us consider a one ruck structure and we could target a player of need whilst moving on a player that at his age is much more likely to decline than improve.

He seems like a nice enough guy and hasnt put a foot wrong 'off field' since he got to the club, however he appears to be not the most mentally tough bloke going around. Its harsh i know but it really seems the case. He lacks the competitive streak required to make it at the top level. The exact definition of looks like tarzan plays like jane.

He is notorious for taking a long time to come good after a layoff and any sort of contact puts him down. I know he has had a horrid run with niggling injuries, but there is no doubt he could not only perform better but also play through alot of the injuries he has missed games through.

Oh FFS he played through his ankle injury all last year and needed reconstructive surgery which may end his career. Yeah easy to label him but do you really know?

If you are slightly off at that level you are probably going ro atruggle
Yep. This.

Many of the haters played top level footy with a broken jaw? Any played a whole season with an ankle that needed a full reconstruction? No? Ok. Shut the f**k up then.

He seems like a nice enough guy and hasnt put a foot wrong 'off field' since he got to the club, however he appears to be not the most mentally tough bloke going around. Its harsh i know but it really seems the case. He lacks the competitive streak required to make it at the top level. The exact definition of looks like tarzan plays like jane.

He is notorious for taking a long time to come good after a layoff and any sort of contact puts him down. I know he has had a horrid run with niggling injuries, but there is no doubt he could not only perform better but also play through alot of the injuries he has missed games through.
I can't agree with any of that. Tippett has played even when injured and always gives his all despite obviously battling pain and with leg issues battling stability/agility/pace and leg issues are always far more difficult if you're 202cm rather than 180cm.

As for the wisdom of his recruitment, it was a no brainer. In his final game for Adelaide he played a blinder against Hawthorn to almost get them into a GF. When he was injury free for us he was in AA discussions. That he has had a wretched run with injury is sad for everyone, especially Tippo. That Tippett's recruitment has been questioned is a nonsense because we didn't know Buddy would be knocking on our door 12 months later.

I wish Kurt all the best with his rehab, I hope it has gone well and that we see him back to that early 2016 form.

Would you put him in the same "couragous" category as hanners,parker, jpk, or buddy?
Yes, I would! Try doing anything with a broken jaw. Forget running and jumping and tackling and kicking, try talking, sneezing, getting the bus or train... just general gentle living. He ran and jumped on unstable ankle, with 106 kg landing on it every alternate step and every ball up.

Imo, all you people questioning his courage and commitment have not really thought about it and haven't taken into consideration his size and the physicality needed to play at this level.

I hope he comes back for 2018, cause I reckon it's going to be our year.

Yes, I would! Try doing anything with a broken jaw. Forget running and jumping and tackling and kicking, try talking, sneezing, getting the bus or train... just general gentle living. He ran and jumped on unstable ankle, with 106 kg landing on it every alternate step and every ball up.
Imo, all you people questioning his courage and commitment have not really thought about it and haven't taken into consideration his size and the physicality needed to play at this level.
I hope he comes back for 2018, cause I reckon it's going to be our year.

You are talking about real life super heroes here Kirkswan.
In super hero world, no one should show pain or be stopped by it.

But be careful now.
Just as Superman can't cope with Kryptonite, a Keyboard Warrior can't cope with criticism.

For what it's worth, should Tippo retire, I wish him well & just put his recruitment down to one that didn't work out as we would have liked.
Along with the recruitment of Buddy, both boys have helped us get to two GFs, though not memorable ones. I don't lose sleep over such things.

If this is curtains, it only adds an exclamation point to a most odd career. I

f he is not yet running I'd say it will be May/June before he starts playing. I expect he would need a number of games in the NEAFL, to gain match hardness and form.

If he does go on I expect he will get only a handful of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back