Portfolio _Damo_'s work of 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Alright, I'm in the mood to design again.

I've had a look back at an older piece of mine, in which I designed a footy league across three fictional states which share a common history, language and culture to Australia.

I've had a few soccer kits in the works, and thought I would apply them to this fictional world.

32284286307_a69c72203f_b.jpg

47226517851_6a24314eb1_b.jpg

After years of being the Sporting Wilderness, the Tri-States Soccer leagues were at breaking point in 1993.

The problems arose from having three competing leagues spread across two states - Evanston had spread its talent over the FLE (Football League of Evanston) and the CFLE (Country Football League of Evanston), a strange system, which had began as a single two tier league split along regional and metropolitan lines. Ell Island had never had a professional league, and Adrias' SSL (State Soccer League) had fluctuated wildly in number of clubs, profits and relevancy.

Competing constantly against their neighboring leagues and, in Evanston's case, itself, the States Soccer leagues acknowledged a need to think differently, and joined forces.

The marriage was painful at first. A mixture of clubs came forward to join the new Pro League but very few "old money" clubs were in any kind of position to survive long term. Mergers were made, clubs were decimated, an, by 1993, only eight clubs were left standing.

by 2008, the league had expanded out to sixteen, but this round of expansion proved ill fated. North Plains Ramblers, Edgeton Strikers and Sommerton Force were all unceremoniously dumped from the competition in 2011, after failing to make an impact in Football mad markets. Riveret Rovers and Palace Point FC voluntarily dropped to the lower rung state league in 2013 due to financial issues, and Dayview Juventus and Dayview City merged to better encapsulate their market.

As of 2019 the league is running steadily, with profits high, memberships improving, and the standard of play improving markedly.

Ell Island Vulcanics

47174313472_d50387d804_b.jpg

The Vulcanics became a cult team across their island home, offering a sporting alternative in an Aussie Rules made state. They have had their financial and relevancy issues however, ending bottom of the table more than any other Pro League team.

Adrias United

46503518494_926112151d_b.jpg

Dayview struggled with three teams in a city of three million, Australian rules crazy people. Juventus, City and Athletic were all old money, well entrenched and supported clubs, but had no possibility of growth. As City and Juventus slid further down the table, their issues became highlighted further as crowd numbers dwindled.
2013 was a confusing time for the league as the expansion teams were floundering, leading to old money clubs worrying about the overall stability of the league. Atheltics, however, were dominating on and off the field, winning three titles in a row and pushing their neighbors into obscurity. So, two thirds of Dayviews football community came together as Dayview United.

Dayview Athletic

47174316632_e5bd96f3e7_b.jpg

Athletic are one of the nations oldest sporting teams, but have had a somewhat checkered past. For years, they were the only city based team in the CFLE. Before the promotion and relegation based FLE split, Athletic were at the bottom of the table, struggling financially, and convinced to stay with the country league to remain competitive.
The advent of the ProLeague was the red and whites chance to claim their place back top flight, and have become a power house with four five titles, three in a row from 2009 to 2011.

Hamilton Hammers

47174314832_c8a91127e7_b.jpg

Hamilton, an industrial, port side city, had not enjoyed sporting success at any level for decades. Over the years they'd housed a basketball, netball and rugby league team, but all had either relocated or folded as the cities financial fortunes rose and fell.
The Hammers were the one exception, surviving as semi professional outfit as the SSL shrunk and eventually died. Being the only constant sporting outlet in the area led to the team keeping a loyal fan base, one which has grown outside of their own region. To date, Hamilton has the highest number of "traveling fans" in the ProLeague.

North Point Echidnas

47174315312_449ca4c011_b.jpg

Across the bay to the Hammers lay their greatest Rival, the Echidnas. Unlike their peaceful but prickly namesake, the Clarets developed a reputation in the late nineties as a team of enforcers, leading the red card count from 1995 to 2000. In that time they seemingly developed a special hatred for their neighbors across the water. The fixture, oddly considering the two teems lack of history pre '93, became a highlight of the season, as cards and flares flew with every Bayside Derby.

Busleton Bees

47174315852_35fae9e61f_b.jpg

Another old money club, the Bees come from the inner city, bohemian suburb of Busleton. They've struggled for success but never supporters, owing largely to the outreach into migrant communities in Adrias.
The clubs identity also allowed them to strike up a connection with English Championship side Brentford, sharing training facilities and playing trial matches. The English side even lent the team their logo to complete the partnership.

Brewers FC

47174316212_fa1701980a_b.jpg

The Brewers actually started out as the Riveret Brewers. Almost immediately the side struggled, never having fully engaged or even interested the sleepy estuarine town. They were founded in 1985, at a time when the Bay regions population was growing, and Riveret (home to one of the country's largest breweries, hence the name) was seen as the next boom town.
However, the only major group to settle en mass were retirees, bringing their own loyalties with them.
So the teem moved in 1990 to Dayview, when an opportunity to play in out of the newly refurbished Echo Park emerged. This move turned out to be disastrous. The team was only saved by it's wealthy and determined owners, who moved them again, this time to Edgeton, where the team officially folded.
however the clubs owner (and major shareholder in said brewery from Riveret) was unwilling to let the dream of a pro side with his companies name on it die, and brought it, along with it's original logo and colors, back as a semi pro team back home.
Then, in 2008, with the Pro Leagues expansion, south coast town Port Hanes made a god father offer to the brewer magnates for the team, name logo and colors.
Why this was so important to the town was unclear at the time... until a new, large brewery opened up in the town, employing hundreds of locals. With the same name as the one in Riveret...

Hamilton Hammers

47174314832_c8a91127e7_b.jpg

Hamilton, an industrial, port side city, had not enjoyed sporting success at any level for decades. Over the years they'd housed a basketball, netball and rugby league team, but all had either relocated or folded as the cities financial fortunes rose and fell.
The Hammers were the one exception, surviving as semi professional outfit as the SSL shrunk and eventually died. Being the only constant sporting outlet in the area led to the team keeping a loyal fan base, one which has grown outside of their own region. To date, Hamilton has the highest number of "traveling fans" in the ProLeague.
Lol is that my personal brand logo? Or did I subconsciously copy this.
32526413_1405336576234738_2631032188832841728_n.jpg

and finally...

Milestone Magic
47235875871_83b12b215f_b.jpg

Milestone area a classic case of 90's revival. Started as an expansion side in 1993 with the advent of the ProLeague, the Magic were succesful early, but always struggled in the shadow of the working class towns Aussie Rules team the Magpies. As a result, they changed their name, colours and logo no less than four times in in twenty years.
Different owners took the club in so many different directions, until, finally, in 2008 with the ProLeagues great re shuffling, the then Chargers (playing in orange and steel grey) went back to the future, going back to the original black and purple and bringing the magic back to Milestone. So far, the fans are behind the move, profits are good, and the club is not looking into a fifth re brand. Yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done this so many times, but I am even more convinced now that the Sunwolves have been given the ass, that the ARU NEEEEEEEEDS to cut ties with SANZAR and SuperRugby. And whenever this idea comes up in my head, I start wondering "well, how will that look?"

So, for maybe the 5th time, here is a set of Australian Rugby teams playing in a domestic competition.

46774077904_831d97ef17_b.jpg

32555595007_15b1df6c7e_b.jpg

the Brothers are a very powerful Union team based in the Norths Capital, and In my world they would merge with the Queensland Country team.

Would or Could they be the Black Falcons? Not criticising, just asking. This post is awesome, great work Damo. Like it Like it a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back