A Swiss perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

and the appeal, being heard in Switzerland in German, is not about any of the information contained in the article. And, what it is about, an appeal on a point of law of a CAS decision involving different facts and a different banned substance is not mentioned.

Talk about not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.

Actually, I think a Swiss person knowing nothing about the case would most likely draw the following conclusions:

1. There were "1000s and 1000s of injections" (cue Ben McDevitt's hysterical screeching after the ALF Tribunal decision - as if an injection program is, in itself, prima facie evidence of taking banned substances);
2. Some of these injections were found to be AOD;
3. The players were found guilty of taking AOD.

It's not unreasonable to expect a newspaper - whether Swiss or Australian - reporting on a doping violation to at least mention - at least once - the drug to which the charge/offence relates. Especially when the case was entirely based on circumstantial and expert evidence relating to that substance.

This article reads to me like WADA PR, operating in much the same way as the AFL leaks in 2013, "calf's blood! Satan's spawn!" Sensationalist reporting prejudicial to the players' appeal.

What is the Swiss term for "so brave" or because they are always neutral in conflicts they don't bother with such a term?

That's exactly my point. On the basis of this article, the most logical conclusion to be drawn is that the team cheated because they took thousands of injections of AOD. And we all know that AOD was just a red herring.
It wasn't a red herring.

It was banned.

and the appeal, being heard in Switzerland in German, is not about any of the information contained in the article. And, what it is about, an appeal on a point of law of a CAS decision involving different facts and a different banned substance is not mentioned.

I reckon that article is far less damning and emarrassing than if they were to actually write the facts!

Not really. Not at all actually.

The Swiss court isn't deciding anything to do with the specifics of the case, so I wouldn't expect an article in a Swiss paper would be highly focused on details.
I mean if our own media can be so wrong on the topic - why on earth would you expect the Swiss to get it right FFS?

so you think that the actual banned substance the players were found guilty of taking is a "detail" and that it's OK to rabbit on about another substance that wasn't even connected with the case?
I don't expect the Swiss to get it right. I think this paper reported the appeal as an AOD, frogs spawn (is that better Satan?), eye of newt cocktail of injectables because that narrative is more colourful than the truth. and I think anyone reading about the case from this article would conclude that they're guilty - as did the Australian public who were fed the same stories in 2013. You'll recall that they served only to convince the public of guilt but wre not mentioned in either of the hearings.

I reckon that article is far less damning and emarrassing than if they were to actually write the facts!

So go ahead and outline the factual details of the case in the comments section - all the drugs that they've been convicted of using. Or maybe someone else can.

So go ahead and outline the factual details of the case in the comments section - all the drugs that they've been convicted of using. Or maybe someone else can.

The CAS tribunal was comfortably satisfied that the players had used tb4 and, on this basis, banned them for 2 years, backdated by a year.

so you think that the actual banned substance the players were found guilty of taking is a "detail" and that it's OK to rabbit on about another substance that wasn't even connected with the case?
I don't expect the Swiss to get it right. I think this paper reported the appeal as an AOD, frogs spawn (is that better Satan?), eye of newt cocktail of injectables because that narrative is more colourful than the truth. and I think anyone reading about the case from this article would conclude that they're guilty - as did the Australian public who were fed the same stories in 2013. You'll recall that they served only to convince the public of guilt but wre not mentioned in either of the hearings.
I'm not sure what your point, or concern is?

The players took a banned drug, tried to conceal it from the club doctor and ASADA, and as a result came out and won 11 straight games.
Once off the drugs, they couldn't get out of their own daylight.

They were charged, found guilty and banned for 2 years.

That's the facts.

How is that better than the article?

What is your concern? Are you shocked that a journo got it wrong?

Robbo, Chip, Holmes, Jones, Connolly and about 50 others say hi!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope the transcripts of the case are translated better than this article.
Somehow I think the multilingual judiciary in Switzerland have a pretty good grasp of the English language, and given the appeal will be conducted in French, they won't have to rely on Google Translate to get the gist of it.

I'm not sure what your point, or concern is?

The players took a banned drug, tried to conceal it from the club doctor and ASADA, and as a result came out and won 11 straight games.
Once off the drugs, they couldn't get out of their own daylight.

They were charged, found guilty and banned for 2 years.

That's the facts.

How is that better than the article?

What is your concern? Are you shocked that a journo got it wrong?

Robbo, Chip, Holmes, Jones, Connolly and about 50 others say hi!

My point is that the article is sensationalist, covering irrelevant ground as if it was somehow connected with the appeal, when there is absolutely no connection between AOD and the appeal. And, as I said before, I think that its purpose is to lay the groundwork so that the public are convinced of the players guilt in this open and shut case on AOD.

My point is that the article is sensationalist, covering irrelevant ground as if it was somehow connected with the appeal, when there is absolutely no connection between AOD and the appeal. And, as I said before, I think that its purpose is to lay the groundwork so that the public are convinced of the players guilt in this open and shut case on AOD.
This case has nothing to do with their guilt though.

Somehow I think the multilingual judiciary in Switzerland have a pretty good grasp of the English language, and given the appeal will be conducted in French, they won't have to rely on Google Translate to get the gist of it.

I believe the appeal will be heard in German.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back