A Tale of Two Horses and a Farewell

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Horse

Cancelled
Collingwood - Caleb Poulter Player Sponsor 2022 Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020
Sep 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is the story of two horses, one good and one bad.

The good horse is called Rangi. He is a brumby. He is a good looking bastard too, probably the horse Gimp would be if he were a horse. A horse Gimp though is something too majestic and awe inspiring to contemplate.

8nOO2EUv (2).jpeg

The bad horse is me. I am not a brumby, or a Clydesdale alas. Still do love the big bastards though.

I met the good horse when I was 15. People had given up on me almost, and I had long since given up on me. I was no longer a human being. I was just whats left after 9 years of abuse, neglect, and then being smacked around the foster system like a shuttlecock losing feathers on each turn over the net. It is possible to survive what I saw, heck I was alive wasn't I? But in real ways I no longer was. Hence finding myself on a country property to see if a change in scenery could coax out something other than a capacity to survive by shutting down or by beating threats into submission with my fists.

The scenery didn't do much but against all odds a horse did. I watched him and he watched me. I noticed his uncertainty, his curiosity, and realised his reactions were a mirror of my own. Horses are prey, and they know it. They adapted by being responsive to things around them including us, constantly on guard and reassessing the threat level moment to moment, reading our body language to gauge our thoughts as an experienced horse person can with them. Its the ears mostly, by the way, when watching a horse. Sometime around eleven years of age I had become prey too, hypervigilant in response to a world of constant threat. We met in the middle, both intrigued and terrified.

Nowdays the use of equine therapy to treat PTSD and C-PTSD is comparatively established, but when I sat on a fence trying to calm myself enough so I wouldn't come across as a homicidal maniac and could encourage this big beast to come close enough to scritch his chin, it wasn't a thing. It was just one lost colt and one lost boy finding common ground. Rangi is now my horse, and if I'm alive its probably because of him as much as anything.

As the years went on though it became apparent that I was adapted to survive stuff that should kill most people, but not to thrive in a normal life like a normal person. All I could do was sleepwalk through life day to day as a suit of armor with a dead heart, pretending to be ok. I spent my school years mostly pretending to be a big dumb footy player with nothing to say. Nobody asks anything of that guy, or expects him to be anything and I could hide in the back of class and watch and laugh when they gave me s**t about how thick I was or about my Salvation Army bin wardrobe. An old habit and a hard one to break, I always find a wall and sit with my back against it, ready for anything, but from there I just cop any s**t short of violence because I know I deserve it secure in the knowledge I'm human garbage. I could be here and pretend to be a silly horse man with a mission to guard against the pony menace and an unhealthy obsession with Josh Schache and belly button lint, and the fault lines inside were lost in the jokey persona and nobody would know most days my most cherished thought was how this time I could off myself and do it right.

C-PTSD is an absolute mother*er, not just because of the tendency to flashbacks that let you experience all the worst s**t at awkward moments that makes it feel like its happening every day over and over just to keep the sense of threat real. It's because living in that reality skews all your starting assumptions about life, and all your unconscious responses. It took me a lot of years to work out all the ways my take on life was just weird. In the service of survival, I had lost what it meant to be alive. All I could do was exist at the intersection of rage and helplessness, like a trapped animal with its back against the wall knowing it would go down eventually but ready to fight anyway. Its not life, its barely even existence. I was the last man standing and I hated it; literally, in one sense. Of the six guys in my first group home in care, now three are dead, one a quadriplegic, one in prison, and me. I knew if I didn't do something my turn would come, but I didn't think I deserved anything else.

At the same time I first met the good horse though, I was just becoming used to a foster family I wouldn't have to leave. The department had admitted reality and acknowledged there was no prospect of reuniting with my mum, and I entered a different program to take me to the point I would age out at 18. It was this family who sent me to friends of theirs in the country where I sat on a fence watching this 600kg snorting beast in fascination, and where I also met a foster brother who in spite of my best attempts to drive him away, has cared about me ever since. And recently, I promised him I would try something different, not for me, but for him because in spite of what I think, he would be pretty pissed off if I were to die. I still find it hard to accept people can stay in my life, and impossible to accept I deserve them. But I have to accept the evidence of my eyes and acknowledge he seems determined to stick around.

It has not been easy, and that is also the reason for the farewell. I am dealing with stuff I never dealt with, often by having to recall directly things I have hid from for most of my life. I didn't cope well, and began to have worse flashbacks and dissociative spells. It's kind of fun sometimes losing whole weeks or months, not so much being somewhere else in the middle of a conversation. Recently, I got bad without telling anyone, got badly drunk to cope and smashed my fist through a wall and then a window. I don't remember any of that, having fled to being elsewhere in my head, only coming to when my housemate came in to find me with significant damage to my hand needing emergency surgery and a large amount of my available blood supply redistributed over the couch and floor. I was still calmly drinking whisky, and really hate that I wasted most of a bottle of Lark.

What I am these days though is pretty raw and easily set off into really bad states by unpredictable things, and social media is not a great place to be in those circumstances. As much as I have loved being here, there is stuff that pops up now and then here that just throws me for a curve now, and I know its going to be like that for a while. I hate that I am so out of control at the moment, but it's a price I am prepared to pay to try to be better. People are fond of joking about being triggered, but I guess as someone with C-PTSD I don't see the joke so well.

Also, maybe the jokey silly persona has had its day. I want to spend more time with my horse, and less time pretending to be one. More time working on being ok, and less time pretending to be ok. I want to put down roots, love and be loved and accept I am worth that, have possessions that matter to me and not feel that I have to get rid of them because bad things will happen. I want to live and not just survive. I want to feel like I am not a worthless piece of s**t who deserves nothing better. I want to be human, even if that's an impossible dream. Like barracking for Collingwood, its all about the hope. I want that and I haven't given up.

Thank you all for your comradeship, for your support, for putting up with my belly button lint sculptures, and for being part of the Magpie army. We didn't make it this year. We'll, make it 2020 then. In the meanwhile, I assume trade week will be a trip with Dave as master of ceremonies. Enjoy.

(\,,/)

Im sorry I wasnt strong enough but i never was i know that. Look after yourselves Horse.

Last edited:
I've never thought of you as anything other than human, and a magnificent one at that.

The fight for self-acceptance is harder and bloodier than a pony menace: fight well and fight always.

Good Horse i'm really sorry you're hurting. It's some heavy s**t you're dealing with. It's brave to tell your story and sad to know this place triggers you. I think you're doing the right thing leaving if it helps you get where you want to be. We'll be here if you ever want to return. You're a good person, an intellect and a funny bastard to boot. You've made this place a lot richer for being here. Take care of yourself.

You're not different or weird or stupid or any of the things you put yourself down with, you are more intelligent than you give yourself credit for. It shines through in every post you make. I think you fall a fair way outside the mean, making you feel a bit alone and not on the same wavelength as others but consider it a blessing, not a curse, that you have been chosen to have a greater sensitivity and empathy than most. I can sort of understand when people decide they need to take a break especially when they are going through issues but I hope in time you feel well enough to drop by from time to time to drop a few of your pearls. Some people get into a bit of trouble I think getting a bit addicted to this place and it can get a bit dark and information overload, I've been there for myself, but hopefully you are not gone for good and in time return and find a happy balance that you can still exist here. There's a lot of people that care about you here too mate. Take it easy.

Good Horse thank you for caring enough to give us some context about life in the stables. Your absence has been felt by us all, I suspect you underestimate your importance to this community.

This forum is important to us, not only because of our passion for the club, but because we can share our thoughts and values outside the constraints (or shackles) of our "real" lives and identities. I guess this is both a blessing and a curse. Your contributions to this forum remain, and I would do backflips (yes, I'm a showpony) if at some point you could return and continue to amaze us with your wit and humor.

I wish you the best in finding what you seek, and hope I had the power to help you with more than mere words. Stay awesome you magnificent bast*rd.

You're a beautiful person Gabe.

You have got a "good one" on your side looking after you...…...and he is doing it for right reasons.
Look after each other.

You have made a 46 year old man a better person for knowing you.

Cheers Jim aka CFC2010

Thanks for sharing Good Horse

By giving part of yourself you do help to make those around you better people. Well, you've helped me anyway along the journey.

You're a decent person. Wishing you fair winds on your journey to happiness. I'm sure you'll find it ... you're actually looking for it, which is a good start and it puts you ahead of many people in this world. Best Wishes, cheers.

This post just made me tear up, and I dont even know you. Life's really s**t sometimes isn't it, and heartbreaking when it's s**t to those who are suffering the effects of the bad choices of others who were supposed to protect them from the shitness...whilst they are young anyway, especially children.

I really hope you are able to discover and maintain a meaningfulness - if not a joy -,in your life and surround yourself with people who you love and love you. For what its worth I think you have a real talent for creative writing and have enjoyed reading the witty randomness of your posts, and anyone with a gift deserves to be on this earth in this life to share it so other people can enjoy and value it too.

Love & light xx

You brought an unique color to the forum and with this bunch of Pies supporters, that is quite an achievement.
Thanks for the memories, openness and honesty.
I am slowly coming out of a rough patch myself and am grateful for my environment to make it .
So If you ever need something or someone, don't be a stranger and drop by.
We'll be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the beautifully written post that helps us all to understand the issues you are dealing with.

You must be the greatest actor in the world to pull off appearing "dumb" when every word you write screams intelligence.

I wish you luck on your journey, but most of all happiness.

I worked in adolescent care for 5 years supervising a group home and also had contact as a school student welfare coordinator with many young people who lived in such homes or were in foster care. Any child placed in state care, particularly in a group home, faced a huge disadvantage in many aspects of their lives, beginning with the family rejection or upheaval that necessitated their removal from home.

I was not surprised to learn the fate of the three children with whom you shared your group home. There are few success stories amongst those kids. In many cases I felt the influence of their fellow wards of state was more detrimental to their well being than the circumstances of the homes from which they had been removed. Glue/paint sniffing and other drug use was rife, and if children weren't already cigarette smokers or drinkers, they certainly were after a few weeks in the system. Kids who had been going to school stopped attending. Many of the staff were relics of the institutional system. Group homes were meant to resemble families with the workers as in loco parents, but the old institutional values and practices largely prevailed.

You obviously did not survive your childhood and adolescence unscarred by your experience of being cared for by the state. I imagine you grew up distrusting adults and devoid of the love of parents and siblings, though perhaps you were fortunate enough to live in a caring foster family - certainly you hint at such when referring to your foster brother.

I imagine that when you reached the age of 18 you were just dropped back into the community and pretty much left to fend for yourself. It is to your credit that you write so eloquently and have a strong connection with your emotions and a sharp intellect. You have also reached out and helped people in need in this forum. Good or Bad Horse, you will be missed from here. I hope that someday you are able to rejoin this community and again delight us with the wit and eloquence of your posts. Good luck Bad Horse.

Last edited:
Such a sad yet very well written post mate hopefully everything works out mate what I do know for sure is a lot of people in the pies bigfooty world care about you and I'm positive there are many of us here willing to help in anyway we can even if it's only to listen hope to see you back in here soon floreat pica

Thank you for sharing.
You’re a good man.
I hope this helps others.
This puts life ‘problems’ into perspective (we worry about paying bills, how many likes we receive, who’s talking about us, why don’t people agree with me, etc).
Hoping you’re on an upward projection...you deserve it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back