A Third Team In Sydney - It's Only a Matter Of Time !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most people that constantly request links. You only request them when confronted with an opinion you disagree with.

It's a self selecting bias. Critique opposition views endlessly. Accept agreeable views unquestioningly.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
If anybody makes a claim and can't back in up with a link i suggest that claim has no substance.
Would you agree with that?

Sorry to drag you away from the storm game but why are you so triggered by references to nrl?

If you and your mate pippen are advocates for fairness and accuracy on sporting forums, are you on league unlimited too? You'll have a field day over there. They legit think nrl is the biggest sport in Australia and it's all just a media conspiracy. That and Australia's own game is a burden on the australian public (how dare Australia's own national sport be played in nsw or qld).

The fact of the matter is rugby league isn't the biggest sport in any country it is played in (well maybe in Solomon islands or something i dunno), including the country that it was invented in, i think that tells you a lot. I'd say just accept it and move on mate, it will be a lot less stressful for ya.
Er wrong again. Rugby League is the national sport of PNG, which has a bigger population than New Zealand.

I support many sports - my main team are the swans. I don't like how the threads in footy industry folder have been used to run down other sports. In another topic members posted about how disappointing NRL ratings were for Thursdays game - when I googled I found they were highest in six years!
I don't see why being an afl fan means you have to be negative towards other sports.

You’ve never posted on the Swans Pip.

Just concentrate on hoping your Wanderers survives.

At first wasnt sure if I was reading it right, as there is a distinct lack of NRL.
However, I am not sure what would normally be the situation on a Saturday, so do not know if this is normal, or not?

No NRL on FTA on Saturdays except for the last 5 rounds

Herald Sun June 5

Further US "overtures" are being made to buy GWS; & "a major US sports franchise" also wants to buy part of Collingwood.

(behind a paywall- can anyone open, & post here please)

Last edited:
Herald Sun June 5

Further US "overtures" are being made to buy GWS; & "a major US sports franchise" also wants to buy part of Collingwood.

Its a nothing story just regurgitating what McGuire said on Footy Classified on Wednesday 3rd June and is dated 4th June 9.53am.

Just restating what was written in the Weekend Oz day of last years GF.

Pimco bond titans buy into GWS Giants

Meet the mystery American bond traders who are in charge of hundreds of billions of investor dollars globally, but have quietly been putting their own millions into the GWS Giants.Market gurus and Pimco executives Dan Ivascyn, the Boston-born “bond prince”, and New York-based Marc Seidner will both be in Australia by Saturday morning in time to see the Giants clash with Richmond in the AFL grand final at the MCG. The sports-loving pair maintain an extremely low profile when it comes to their passion for Australian rules football, but are understood to have also backed the Giants financially and become an integral part of the club’s off-field operations.

Maybe relocate a Melbourne team to Sydney.
Obviously GWS have western.
Make Sydney Swans south of the harbour (Souths) could also be renamed to South Sydney.
Then relocated Melbourne team renamed North Sydney playing out of North Sydney oval or SCG. Two games a week in Sydney would help with growing the game there.

Who to move though..

North, Saints prime candidates.
I'll go North. Just need to change from North Melbourne to North Sydney.

Tasmania should get its own team which may take one Melbourne team being kicked out of the league.
Saints? Perhaps Saints and North merge and create this new team?

Dogs are lucky geographically speaking in Melbourne as they can make a strong hold in Melbourne and perhaps take more regional Victoria by playing in Ballarat once a year.

Herald Sun June 5

Sorry I assumed you had seen Footy Classified but this is what McGuire said and was quoted in the story if you didn't.

“I was approached in the last 10 days by a major American sports franchise asking whether or not they could buy into Collingwood,” McGuire said on Footy Classified.

“The answer was no because we’re a members’ club but they don’t understand the members’ club over there. They go ‘what do you mean? You’re not owned by somebody? How does this work?’”

Maybe relocate a Melbourne team to Sydney.
Obviously GWS have western.
Make Sydney Swans south of the harbour (Souths) could also be renamed to South Sydney.
Then relocated Melbourne team renamed North Sydney playing out of North Sydney oval or SCG. Two games a week in Sydney would help with growing the game there.
It's far too late to do that now. Might have worked had North moved there in the late 90s, but their crowds in Sydney weren't good. Not to mention North Sydney Oval is too small in dimensions for premiership matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, The Sydney Swans could have been North Sydney playing out of redeveloped North Sydney Oval,
but they had support in the Eastern Suburbs and the SCG was already available.

SMH A. Proszenko 30.5

Proszenko said

"The NRL is set to increase its cost cutting campaign to at least $70m next year...Given the new broadcast deals are worth less than the original ones...expenses will need to be slashed at Rugby League Central to free up spending".

P. V'landys has said NRL funding to Clubs & players from 2021 will not be cut, & will remain at the higher 2019 levels; &, also, that major cuts will be made to NRL HQ.
In 2019, NRL HQ had operational expenditure of $183m pa, & employed 400 staff (which included c. 200 Development Officers nation-wide)

Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 11.5

P. Rothfield said that the NRL HQ will be making permanent cuts of at least $50m per year, cf 2019 levels, due to its reduced income from broadcast deals etc.

(Behind paywall- can anyone open, & post here)

Where will NRL HQ make these cuts?

The FFA has been offered a new A League Rights' deal, from 2021, by Foxtel of c. $11m pa- a reduction of c. 75% in cash.
RA has no Rights' deal with Foxtel (which walked away 4 months ago), nor any media co., from 2021. Similar to the A League, Super Rugby ratings & crowds have plummeted.
Cricket Australia is also suffering severe financial problems, due mainly to bad share market investments etc. It has been forced to slash its HQ staff & other costs.

G. McLaclan has advised the Clubs on 12.6 the economic crisis & forced renegotiation of its Rights' deals has caused a 12-13% reduction in the total $418m pa former Rights' deal. The AFL, therefore, has been able to obtain new Rights' deals at a minimal discount (Telstra has agreed to pay the same $50m pa for its digital Rights ie no discount).

Mc Lachlan has also said the Rights' discount it had to concede was about half of the discount that was forced onto the impoverished NRL- although V'landys has strongly denied this.
(But the NRL is, unusually, refusing to reveal the details of its new Foxtel deal. Nine announced 29.5 to the Stock Exchange that its new NRL Rights' deal will save it c.$120m for the same 2020-2022 duration- & no extension).

The AFL has indicated that grants to clubs/salary & Football Dept. caps etc. & AFL HQ costs will have permanent, major cuts from 2020. No mention of GR cuts.

For the NRL to achieve such major $50-70m pa cuts, the number of NRL Development Officers/GR funding is likely to be slashed. Ditto RA & FFA- & possibly CA- Development Officer nos./GR funds.
Assuming that the AFL makes only minimal cuts to development funding in NSW, ACT, & Qld., the much stronger, & now relatively improved (ie cf other codes), financial position of the AFL is likely to improve its GR competition player marketshare % in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

EDIT:

The NRL spent $40.433m on GR "Development" in 2019 (Thanks Noob Pie)

EDIT 2:

SEN Radio has today stated that CA will reduce its expenditure by $40m per year.

Last edited:
SMH A. Proszenko 30.5

Proszenko said

"The NRL is set to increase its cost cutting campaign to at least $70m next year...Given the new broadcast deals are worth less than the original ones...expenses will need to be slashed at Rugby League Central to free up spending".

P. V'landys has said NRL funding to Clubs & players from 2021 will not be cut, & will remain at the higher 2019 levels; &, also, that major cuts will be made to NRL HQ.
In 2019, NRL HQ had operational expenditure of $183m pa, & employed 400 staff (which included c. 200 Development Officers nation-wide)

Daily Telegraph P. Rothfield 11.5

P. Rothfield said that the NRL HQ will be making permanent cuts of at least $50m per year, cf 2019 levels, due to its reduced income from broadcast deals etc.

(Behind paywall- can anyone open, & post here)

Where will NRL HQ make these cuts?

The FFA has been offered a new A League Rights' deal, from 2021, by Foxtel of c. $11m pa- a reduction of c. 75% in cash.
RA has no Rights' deal with Foxtel (which walked away 4 months ago), nor any media co., from 2021. Similar to the A League, Super Rugby ratings & crowds have plummeted.
Cricket Australia is also suffering severe financial problems, due mainly to bad share market investments etc. It has been forced to slash its HQ staff & other costs.

G. McLaclan has advised the Clubs on 12.6 the economic crisis & forced renegotiation of its Rights' deals has caused a 12-13% reduction in the total $418m pa former Rights' deal. The AFL, therefore, has been able to obtain new Rights' deals at a minimal discount (Telstra has agreed to pay the same $50m pa for its digital Rights ie no discount).
Mc Lachlan has also said the Rights' discount it had to concede was about half of the discount that was forced onto the impoverished NRL- although V'landys has strongly denied this.
(But the NRL, unusually, will not reveal the details of its new Foxtel deal. Nine announced 29.5 to the Stock Exchange that its new NRL Rights' deal will save it c.$120m for the same 2020-2022 duration).

The AFL has indicated that grants to clubs & AFL HQ costs will have permanent, major cuts from 2020.

For the NRL to achieve such major $50-70m pa cuts, the number of NRL Development Officers is likely to be slashed. Ditto RA & FFA- & possibly CA- Development Officer nos.
Assuming that the AFL makes only minimal cuts to development funding in NSW, ACT, & Qld., the much stronger & now relatively improved (ie cf other codes) financial position of the AFL is likely to improve its GR competition player marketshare % in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

I would say the NRL media is goneksi as well.....but the big cuts will have to come to development and states and affiliates distributions etc

1592368440146.png

The problem is the big category in pre-distribution expenditure has been 'Event, game and sponsorship".....this has increased by $30M over the last two years....but how much of that is driving the "Non-Broadcast revenue" growth?

The Age R. Masters 12.6

Masters wrote

"The AFL conceded a discount roughly half that agreed to by the NRL after the negotiations with its broadcasters, according to reports...Seven's extended deal is purportedly averaging a cost of $147m a year, only a fraction less than what the 2017-2022 contract specified...Foxtel is reportedly paying $30m a year less for 2020-2022...".
P.V'landys strongly disputes that the NRL deal was, relatively, poor.

Goldman Sachs business analyst K. Hannan also told shareholder clients

"...we see the revised AFL/NRL deals as a positive reset (for shareholders- my words), with the AFL outperforming the NRL...on the AFL/NRL extensions, which we estimate were flat (AFL), to down (NRL) on the prior deal".

(refer to post # 1214 for full Goldman quote)

Thus the new post covid Rights' deals place the AFL in a much stronger financial position, vis-a-vis the financially severely weakened NRL, RA, FA, & CA. This financial strength will enhance the AFL's ability to expand its marketshare & GR regd. nos. in NSW, ACT, & Qld.

For 2017, 2018, & 2019, the NRL were spending $33m, $35m, & $40m respectively on GR development- yet their male regd. contact competition player nos. continued their long term decline.
If the NRL is forced to slash GR funding, how much further will their GR male contact competition player nos. decline in NSW, ACT, & Qld? Ditto for other other codes?
(All the other codes are having good female GR regd. player growth).

EDIT:

The Age Z. Samios 17.6

Samios said

"But the NRL locked a discount as well as a 5 year extension with the pay TV operator until 2027 for an undisclosed amount estimated to be worth about $1 billion. Foxtel will also have the last five Saturday matches of this years NRL season exclusively & has increased the value of its streaming rights as Telstra is blocked from airing live matches from 2023.

Foxtel, therefore, is obtaining many more benefits from the NRL in their new deal- but is paying much less for them, cf terms of old deal.

Last edited:

This could set back game here decades

The only comp getting roughly what it was already getting in the extension will put it back decades.

Soccer is the sport most gutted. Brutally gutted ;-)

I have previously mentioned that it is essential that the ACT (pop. now c. 435k) have more representation in the AFL, because it:-

. "...is expected to reach half a million within a decade", & is the "2nd fastest growing region in the nation" (after Melb.).
With Queanbeyan, the ACT will probably have a pop. of 750,000+ by 2050.

. is essential the AFL has a permanent presence in the political power centre of Australia.

Wollongong/Illawarra will have a pop. of. c. 400,000 in 2050.

GWS will become West Sydney FC.

(IMO, best would be a new team, named South Sydney Canberra, probably based in Campbelltown . 7 games pa in SS, 5 in Canberra, 2 away games in Wollongong pa- where a financially challenged Melbourne club would sell 1 home game to Canberra + 2 Gong home games every year).

SEN Radio Melb. A Maher & R. Murphy program 17.6

I noticed that Errol Marron, influential Perth property developer (who was asked by the VFL in 1987 to explore expansion options for struggling Melb. clubs), said the views of the VFL then had Canberra as the main priority for expansion- because of its political power & influence.
Marron said

"They (VFL- my words) wanted Canberra, you have every politican in your pocket, all this sort of thing...".

(Go to 17.6, then scroll down to "Errol Marron"- at 2 minutes 10 seconds-2 mins.45 secs.).

Last edited:
I have previously mentioned that it is essential that the ACT (pop. now c. 435k) have more representation in the AFL, because it:-

. "...is expected to reach half a million within a decade", & is the "2nd fastest growing region in the nation" (after Melb.).
With Queanbeyan, the ACT will probably have a pop. of 750,000+ by 2050.

. is essential the AFL has a permanent presence in the political power centre of Australia.

Wollongong/Illawarra will have a pop. of. c. 400,000 in 2050.

GWS will become West Sydney FC.

(IMO, best would be a new team, South Sydney Canberra, probably based in Campbelltown . 7 games pa in SS, 5 in Canberra, 2 away games in Wollongong pa- where a financially challenged Melbourne club would take 1 home game to Canberra + 2 Gong home games every year).

SEN Radio Melb. A Maher & R. Murphy program 17.6

I noticed that Errol Marron, influential Perth property developer (who was asked by the VFL in 1987 to explore expansion options for struggling Melb. clubs) said the views of the VFL then had Canberra as a main priority for expansion- because of its political power.
Marron said

"They (VFL- my words) wanted Canberra, you have every politican in your pocket, all this sort of thing...".

(Go to 17.6, then Click on "Errol Marron"- at 2 minutes 10 seconds-2 mins.45 secs.).

I agree tassie and canberra are the next two teams that should come in, if there is no relocated melbourne team to tassie.

I would however have it named canberra riverena, i think its important to have a big presence in ACT and Murray/Southern NSW.

I agree Tassie and Canberra are the next two teams that should come in, if there is no relocated Melbourne team to Tassie.

It was a major mistake not to pursue the earlier Canberra presentations when conditions were arguably a lot more favourable.

I would however have it named Canberra Riverena, i think its important to have a big presence in ACT and Murray/Southern NSW.

Team naming is very important.
The Perth team named their side West Coast to identify with Western Australia. That was fine until Fremantle came along
and the W.C.E. tried to rename as the Perth Eagles to average off of the "Perth" identity.
The good news is that the "Perth" name is open for a potential third AFL side.
The Giants named themselves GWS to identify with a wider area and to hedge their bets a little.
Most people identify GWS with Western Sydney.
When a Canberra AFL team was first proposed the name "Canberra" would have been apt.
Now, it is time to appeal to a wider region - Canberra, Queanbeyan Riverina etc.
Time to resurrect a popular football name - "Centrals".

It was a major mistake not to pursue the earlier Canberra presentations when conditions were arguably a lot more favourable.

Team naming is very important.
The Perth team named their side West Coast to identify with Western Australia. That was fine until Fremantle came along
and the W.C.E. tried to rename as the Perth Eagles to average off of the "Perth" identity.
The good news is that the "Perth" name is open for a potential third AFL side.
The Giants named themselves GWS to identify with a wider area and to hedge their bets a little.
Most people identify GWS with Western Sydney.
When a Canberra AFL team was first proposed the name "Canberra" would have been apt.
Now, it is time to appeal to a wider region - Canberra, Queanbeyan Riverina etc.
Time to resurrect a popular football name - "Centrals".

At one point in time a NSW team was called 'RAMS'

Riverina, ACT, Murrambidgee and Sydney

A Canberra team would struggle for sponsorship, very little private enterprise there, the Raiders were backed originally by NSW poker machine palaces in QBY and now through pokies have built a big property portfolio to make their money.

At one point in time a NSW team was called 'RAMS'

Riverina, ACT, Murrambidgee and Sydney

A Canberra team would struggle for sponsorship, very little private enterprise there, the Raiders were backed originally by NSW poker machine palaces in QBY and now through pokies have built a big property portfolio to make their money.

Rams was the name I was hoping for the Giants Or Razorbacks or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back