JUDDanaut

Senior List
Apr 30, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
ABBA are one of my favourite all time artists and believe any pop band can come and go but the success ABBA had was phenomenal and this showed as they are the 3rd highest selling muscians in the history of music, only behind Beatles and Elvis. The 70's belonged to ABBA really.

I just wanted to know everyone's opinion on ABBA, many see them as cheesy
but in saying that are one of the most respected musician corporation ever.

JUDDanaut said:
ABBA are one of my favourite all time artists and believe any pop band can come and go but the success ABBA had was phenomenal and this showed as they are the 3rd highest selling muscians in the history of music, only behind Beatles and Elvis. The 70's belonged to ABBA really.

The blond girl was very talented
:) I love Dancing Queen and Chiquitita especially.

AndSmithMustScore

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.
*puts his pop hat on*

Fantastic band.

They had 2 great singers who were able to convey the work of two great pop writers.

People may mock them but that's through lack of music knowledge and appreciation for what they achieved.

JUDDanaut

Senior List
Apr 30, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
Yer i agree i am male and i love them. They will go down as one of the most influential muscians ever, even though they hardly make any lists. But at the end of the day they re created pop music and their songs are fantastic. My favourites are probably fernando, dancing queen, chiquita. My mum got me into them and i dont blame her lol.

My late wife was a fan and would play them regularly. There are about a half-dozen songs I really like, a majority that I don't mind but Dancing Queen I really dislike. The ones that I like are Knowing Me, Knowing You, S.O.S (the key change in the middle of the chorus is brilliant), Money, Money Money, The Name Of The Game, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (The little keyboard section that Madonna stole is beautiful) and Voulez-Vous.

I was in Melbourne the other night and there was a busker playing ABBA really ****ing loud.

You could hear the drums from Nando's.
I really really really really hate that song. More than Dancing Queen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really really really really hate that song. More than Dancing Queen.

Apart from my very funny dad joke that song has no redeeming qualities whatsoever

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My late wife was a fan and would play them regularly. There are about a half-dozen songs I really like, a majority that I don't mind but Dancing Queen I really dislike. The ones that I like are Knowing Me, Knowing You, S.O.S (the key change in the middle of the chorus is brilliant), Money, Money Money, The Name Of The Game, Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (The little keyboard section that Madonna stole is beautiful) and Voulez-Vous.

Yep it's a great lick and it's my favourite ABBA song. Also enjoy the little funk bit they throw in about 2 thirds in with the slap bass.

Dancing Queen & The Winner Takes It All are their glory moments, but don't mind a few more worthy hit singles like Mamma Mia, SOS, etc.
The Winner Takes It All is so sad :(

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Masterfully crafted pop music. So many of their songs have countless separate hooks, all infectious, running throughout the track length.

"Knowing Me, Knowing You", for example, has:
  • the riff at the end of each line during the pre-chorus
  • the main chorus line melody
  • the clever little 'a-ha'
  • the backing vocals from Benny and Bjorn reiterating the vocal sentiment from a different perspective
  • the new instrumental interlude that's introduced after the chorus

Anyone that's tried to play any of the classic ABBA hits on an acoustic knows there's like 12 or 13 different chords in each track. They were seriously talented songwriters.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

Before my time but in this co-vid time seen lots of music on youtube never looked at before. I prefer rock music in general but the disco era that I missed seems like Bee Gees must have topped that era over Abba. I probably had heard more of Abba music as older siblings had their albums so heard it a lot even as a little kid. But having heard more Bee Gees now via youtube, I am amazed how much music they made and how many hits in a row they had in their disco era peak. They also were a band from even before the 70's and have since learned some music I assumed was Beatles music was actually Bee Gees.
It seems like an incredible time of pop music songwriting in 70's by both Abba and BeeGees. I kind of grew up in 80's when disco was considered dead by then and listened to rock music but been re-discovering how fun the music was that Abba and BeeGees made in decade before that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back