Society/Culture ABC Crap

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually seek out cr@p film. I watched Baz Luhrmann's Australia (willingly) on the first day it came out, fully realising the depths of excrement I was to bathe in. I felt I needed a shower with one of those pressure hoses that folks use to clean boats with.

I did not do it for the cinema quality, I did it to see how you can raise a $30 million production budget for fertilizer.

#Incitec_Pivot

I relayed this post, verbatim, to the bloke of whom I spoke, and he laughed like a drain. It is very rare for us to encounter such a like mind. Despite my protestations, he thinks you're OK.

I liked The Slap a lot. It's production values were very good, better than Sweet and Sour which was alwyas a gazillion times better than Neighbours.

I can take the subjective differences, but to s**t-can the ABC for a show you don't like is strange.

No deal!

Deal or no deal, well, that makes me think of that Eddie McGuire of 7 whats his name, Andrew Okeefe or something. I laugh at him all the time when he pops up on the box, which inevitably he will when channel flicking. Makes me think of him doing coke at Revolver last year and stumbling onto Chapel St off his nut. Only redeeming feature is he can sing Modern Lover's "Im a little airplane" pretty well by all reports. And anyone who likes jonothan richman has something to go for him.

On the Slap, u cant create a character out of VB. U cant create an autistic 5 year old and breast feed him, without giving us a flash forward to that kid as adult in a sanatorium out at Kew Cottages. 70 yo Greek peasant male going to the hookah's but not for the tobacco in the pipe and offering his requiem to the female form. It was not didactic cos frankly it made Underbelly look serious and not sensationalist, the characters were implausible in the extreme.

paint by numbers Australia by Barry: 1 part Pearl Harbour, 1 part Gone with the Wind, 1 part Windschuttle, 1 part Bernard Lewis orientalism, 1 part Sam Newman's view on abo's. Risible script.

Cant wait for the Great Gatsby. Atleast Leo gets his cheque and his fill and their fill of casting from the Sydney modelling agencies.

A mate of mine who is a film reviewer, maintains that if a film is s**t in the first ten minutes, it won't get better. 'The Slap' lost me ten minutes into the first episode, when one of the central characters was shown masturbating. This gratuitous rendering of irrelevant ononism provided no obvious enhancement of whatever plot they may have devised.

That scene seemed to have been inserted to attract the attention of those who doubted the show as a piece of entertainment. To me, it would have been preferable at that point, for the writers to provide some interesting dialogue to develop their characters, rather than succumbing to such a 'Look at us, aren't we naughty' moment.

Until Australians learn how to write believable scripts, we are pissing money up against a wall. The upside is that a huge number of no-talent gatekeepers, who've never exposed a foot of film, are allowed to make decisions about who gets into their club of public funding. In any another industry, these people would be known as clerks.

I don't see an end to the problem, the marketer's are running everything....................everything.

its the quants not the marketing folk. You just need to manipulate the spelling, cos' quants is about 2 changes in consonants, and the phonics is almost the same.

to all VCA school of film and tv grads, and DP's, if your character is speeding, u dont need to MTV him and change the music to doof doof nor change to frame speed of the footage. U dont need to do that. Leave that up to artists like Chris Doyle and Wong-kar Wai who have the tools plus expertise, and most importantly artistic vision to pull it off.

Did you watch The Promise last night?
ended up watching it all catching up those could not see live on the catch-up net.

first two eps were excruciating, but the last eps offered something and it made it worthwhile watching. The bloody protagonist was the least sympathetic character in the entire series, and wished she had a heart attack in one of her epileptic fits. 'Bout the most sympathetic portrait you can get on celluloid with the lobbies going around, compared to reading Morris or Pappe to get it right. Wanted to tell that stupid solipsistic brit britch to stfu and it aint all about here, but eh, its the gen y's and their world playstations and indulgence. Mighta been a meta theme, cos the Brits f'ed it up starting from Balfour and before. But the grandfather in the parallel narrative, he was very sympathetically drawn, so meh, where do you come down on the vision of the director/writer. I need to watch it in one take on dvd series.

This attempt at fact checking by the ABC caused me to be drawn this thread:

What check is there on the fact checkers? Redefining an issue to support a point of view is not fact checking.
Hopefully this is not Gaven Morris on the way out.

Last edited:
This attempt at fact checking by the ABC caused me to be drawn this thread:

What check is there on the fact checkers? Redefining an issue to support a point of view is not fact checking.
Hopefully this is not Gaven Morris on the way out.
I'm inclined to agree, kind of.

The article points out that the reality isn't nearly as simple as Barnaby would have us believe, but nominally speaking his comment - that fossil fuels are (across the board, if one compiles them together) our largest export - is not untrue at all.

Saying that 'it doesn't stack up' isn't really an accurate depiction of the facts.

Wasn't talking about you, look at the previous page. It's blackcat, in all his stupendous glory.
I am developing alot of enemies Gethelred
tell truth , be good-faith , always utter Wildean drollery , and drop appellation 'Boogaloo Boyz" as ABSURD Joke yet bad-faith interpretation as a right wing fascist nutjob <eyesroll>

edit: spellcorrect typo gone haywire
Wilderness drollery was supposed to be Wildean drollery before spellcorrect altered it 🙄

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tell truth , be good-faith , always utter Wilderness drollery , and drop appellation 'Boogaloo Boyz" as ABSURD Joke yet bad-faith interpretation as a right wing fascist nutjob <eyesroll>
Nah. I like what you bring. Looks initially like nonsense, but after taking a minute it's thoughtful and provoking.

tell truth , be good-faith , always utter Wilderness drollery , and drop appellation 'Boogaloo Boyz" as ABSURD Joke yet bad-faith interpretation as a right wing fascist nutjob <eyesroll>

Wait... you a right wing fascist nutjob for calling Boogaloo Boyz 'Boogaloo Boyz'?

I thought outsourcing production was 'sposed to improve the offering to audiences on the ABC. And it has produced sh*te australian drama like Crownies and The Slap where they think their series' denouement can basically rehash the final act of Magnolia.

Heard RRR film reviewer once talk of the shoegazing lullaby walk, the Chris Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai shutter speeds. Again, ripping off other stuff, makes u seem unoriginal, and without creative talent. And need Ride or Jesus and Mary Chain to do proper shoegaze lullabys :D

ABC should leave the director photography and cutting and editing MTV techniques to Underbelly, and stop creating crap like Underbelly for the chattering classes on ABC. Its crap.

I agree http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...-diminished-abc-continues-20110803-1ibk9.html

#Greenguide_rant

see: Tom Ford's two films A Single Man and Nocturnal Animals , atleast in ASM he uses the Wong Kar-Wai slomo walk and Christopher Doyle cinematography see: In The Mood For Love

Wait... you a right wing fascist nutjob for calling Boogaloo Boyz 'Boogaloo Boyz'?
no , for C.L.E.A.R.L.Y using/invoking it in light-hearted/ joking manner , feel free to interpret it as wrongthink or wrongspeak but it WAS absurd so one would be wrong in that instance

no , for C.L.E.A.R.L.Y using/invoking it in light-hearted/ joking manner , feel free to interpret it as wrongthink or wrongspeak but it WAS absurd so one would be wrong in that instance

I see.

It's hard to keep up with all these left right fascist woke things, even in jest.

I thought outsourcing production was 'sposed to improve the offering to audiences on the ABC. And it has produced sh*te australian drama like Crownies and The Slap where they think their series' denouement can basically rehash the final act of Magnolia.

Heard RRR film reviewer once talk of the shoegazing lullaby walk, the Chris Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai shutter speeds. Again, ripping off other stuff, makes u seem unoriginal, and without creative talent. And need Ride or Jesus and Mary Chain to do proper shoegaze lullabys :D

ABC should leave the director photography and cutting and editing MTV techniques to Underbelly, and stop creating crap like Underbelly for the chattering classes on ABC. Its crap.

I agree http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...-diminished-abc-continues-20110803-1ibk9.html

#Greenguide_rant

edit: Christ
Christopher Doyle typo
Blame the Libs budget cuts.

LOL. Missed the "n"

Last edited:
Blame the Libs budget cuts.

LOL. Missed the "n"
I was talking about SBS tonight with someone , JWH took a scalpel to it and scythed the viscera of said institution , but if ALP came to power they were also gonna run the neolib model , devil's advocate , we have material(ly) more* Aussie first gen(s) now and they do not need SBS when they can marshal a bloc of first gen culture
nb paradoxically so

*a good thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back