Society/Culture ABC Crap

Remove this Banner Ad

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
I thought outsourcing production was 'sposed to improve the offering to audiences on the ABC. And it has produced shite australian drama like Crownies and The Slap where they think their series' denouement can basically rehash the final act of Magnolia.

Heard RRR film reviewer once talk of the shoegazing lullaby walk, the Chris Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai shutter speeds. Again, ripping off other stuff, makes u seem unoriginal, and without creative talent. And need Ride or Jesus and Mary Chain to do proper shoegaze lullabys :D

ABC should leave the director photography and cutting and editing MTV techniques to Underbelly, and stop creating crap like Underbelly for the chattering classes on ABC. Its crap.

I agree http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...-diminished-abc-continues-20110803-1ibk9.html

#Greenguide_rant

edit: Christ
Christopher Doyle typo

Last edited:
I thought outsourcing production was 'sposed to improve the offering to audiences on the ABC. And it has produced shite australian drama like Crownies and The Slap where they think their series' denouement can basically rehash the final act of Magnolia.

Heard RRR film reviewer once talk of the shoegazing lullaby walk, the Christ Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai shutter speeds. Again, ripping off other stuff, makes u seem unoriginal, and without creative talent. And need Ride or Jesus and Mary Chain to do proper shoegaze lullabys :D

ABC should leave the director photography and cutting and editing MTV techniques to Underbelly, and stop creating crap like Underbelly for the chattering classes on ABC. Its crap.

I agree http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...-diminished-abc-continues-20110803-1ibk9.html

#Greenguide_rant
I agree, good post :thumbsu:

Heard RRR film reviewer once talk of the shoegazing lullaby walk, the Christ Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai shutter speeds. Again, ripping off other stuff, makes u seem unoriginal, and without creative talent. And need Ride or Jesus and Mary Chain to do proper shoegaze lullabys :D

#Greenguide_rant

Take five minutes to countenance what we get served up on commercial FTA, and PayTV for that matter, and the ABC shines like a beacon in a world of ever decreasing content quality.

Some folk would gladly hand the Prime Ministership to a ****ing tool like Kyle Sandilands such is the society wide acceptanceof second rate garbage in every aspect of life.
MacDonalds/KFC
Commercial TV
Commercial radio

We have become dumber than sheep.

So we still could beat Isreal as the next likely state of the American union?

Have you been watching a different show to me?...

A mate of mine who is a film reviewer, maintains that if a film is s**t in the first ten minutes, it won't get better. 'The Slap' lost me ten minutes into the first episode, when one of the central characters was shown masturbating. This gratuitous rendering of irrelevant ononism provided no obvious enhancement of whatever plot they may have devised.

That scene seemed to have been inserted to attract the attention of those who doubted the show as a piece of entertainment. To me, it would have been preferable at that point, for the writers to provide some interesting dialogue to develop their characters, rather than succumbing to such a 'Look at us, aren't we naughty' moment.

Until Australians learn how to write believable scripts, we are pissing money up against a wall. The upside is that a huge number of no-talent gatekeepers, who've never exposed a foot of film, are allowed to make decisions about who gets into their club of public funding. In any another industry, these people would be known as clerks.

A mate of mine who is a film reviewer, maintains that if a film is s**t in the first ten minutes, it won't get better. 'The Slap' lost me ten minutes into the first episode, when one of the central characters was shown masturbating. This gratuitous rendering of irrelevant ononism provided no obvious enhancement of whatever plot they may have devised.

Also stopped watching early into the first episode. I'd heard the show was supposedly brilliant and sat down with the girlfriend to watch it but I had to get up and do something, by the time I got back she'd changed the channel and said it was boring so I went with it. I can never be bothered catching up with any TV show once it has been and gone despite people raving about it.

Having said all that, surely the tripe served up by commercial TV is worse than the ABC.

A mate of mine who is a film reviewer, maintains that if a film is s**t in the first ten minutes, it won't get better. 'The Slap' lost me ten minutes into the first episode, when one of the central characters was shown masturbating into a mirror!. This gratuitous rendering of irrelevant ononism provided no obvious enhancement of whatever plot they may have devised.

That scene seemed to have been inserted to attract the attention of those who doubted the show as a piece of entertainment. To me, it would have been preferable at that point, for the writers to provide some interesting dialogue to develop their characters, rather than succumbing to such a 'Look at us, aren't we naughty' moment.

Until Australians learn how to write believable scripts, we are pissing money up against a wall. The upside is that a huge number of no-talent gatekeepers, who've never exposed a foot of film, are allowed to make decisions about who gets into their club of public funding. In any another industry, these people would be known as clerks.

^This. Skilts as usual, scythes thru with clarity like the Tzarist proletariat wield sickle come wheat harvest.

I have seen it all and it lived up to this promise. and the lead character the actor brother of Larry Laplaglia who was on NCIS or Without A Trace or some US shite. They had him in the gym before the series and on a course of steroids and growth hormone to hew he physique, and it is such superficial tropes compiled on this character for message does not compensate for script and character development.

re: wanking and ononism, I luv the term ononism, sounds like it descended from greek mythology prose. There was more wanking in the final ep, with a guy struggling with his sexuality. Meh. So dramatic lol. I can give a pass to the series Carlos who had him doing the mirror wang thang. But that was not a high brow serious production. This purported to be serious drama, waaah!

This is like seeing Matthew Newton naked and his arse in Underbelly. Why give us Underbelly on the taxpayer's dime. Go to GTV9 to watch crap.

This however ignores the audience, this was, Underbelly for the chattering classes, who like to pop their Sav blanc, and hit up the security lid on the benzodiazepines when the kids are put off to bed.

There was more pill popping in this series than a Summer Dayze festival, and more valium than all of John Elliotts' wives have cumulatively ever been prescribed.

The mirror wank was a perfect metaphor, cos this was some heavy handed shite, like some Joanna Murray-Smith play.

like some Joanna Murray-Smith play.

Great post. Your insights about our sometimes resident Empress with No Clothes are uncannily accurate. Her father is turning in his grave at her abuse of the language he so loved, and wrote with such wit and profundity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This however ignores the audience, this was, Underbelly for the chattering classes, who like to pop their Sav blanc, and hit up the security lid on the benzodiazepines when the kids are put off to bed.

Heh heh! These days I prefer the term "twittering classes"....

On the face of it, that may appear so. Let's not forget though, he was obliged to watch all of those films which were "s**t" well beyond the ten minute mark. For me, that kind of torture would cancel out any element of cushiness.

There is certainly the technical know-how in Australia to produce good television, and the acting talent. Shows like Underbelly, Wild Boys, etc generally have solid production values, decentish acting (aside from the 'network stars' they have to shoe-horn in), but terrible scripts.

I suspect the s**t scripts are down to 2 things

1) Lack of decent writing courses in Australia.
2) More signficantly, a whole lot of meddling from network executives. We have the shittest media executives around. Generally bean counters with little content experience who love to micro-manage, hate taking risks, and just make s**t up as they go along.

That class has no class.

SBS seems to be getting the best BBC stuff these days. Did you watch The Promise last night?

watched the first 15 mins, and thought this is gonna be a brit whitewash of their responsibility to the palestinians and partitian with Balfour. I think I might watch the SBS stream now to confirm my intuition. It was something like 110 mins schedule, so runtime woulda been 95-100, and this the first ep of a 4 ep series.

will reply when I digest it, if I do.

The good thing about the new digital channels, they are getting quality film festival docs, immediately after they do their first year on the festival circuit, cos apart from Nova, no one will screen a doco so their is no film screener mkt for them, and with the new channels opening up, they need product, and these are pretty cheap product, because their is no alternative revenue streAM. Some of these docos SBS put $$$ into co-productions with the production parts of BBC and Canal+, but lots of these are just film festival screeners, will never be seen on free to air, b4 digital. Very narrow mkt, a mkt that prolly would prefer to get their info from source material and a book, but this is the good cliffs notes if you are pressed for time, or too lazy to read. Atleast, thats my justification :D

The good SBS Dateline journo jumped to BBC a coupla years back, occasionaly they pick up pieces he does for his Chennel 4 Dispatches program. 'Rigonally, 4 was part of BBC right, or a gov't run channel like SBS.

this was originally an SBS story, tweaked for UK, I remember when SBS still did good in house current affairs, Mark Davis does good stuff, Yalda Hakim very mediocre, should be a newsreader.

[YOUTUBE]xyrcZkHK4aE[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches

they still have his profile on Dateline, assume he gets co-funded for his bigger pieces from C4 and Dateline.
http://www.sbs.com.au/dateline/reporter/stories/id/31/n/Evan_Williams obviously he aint The Oz' weekend film reviewer.

There is certainly the technical know-how in Australia to produce good television, and the acting talent. Shows like Underbelly, Wild Boys, etc generally have solid production values, decentish acting (aside from the 'network stars' they have to shoe-horn in), but terrible scripts.

I suspect the s**t scripts are down to 2 things

1) Lack of decent writing courses in Australia.
2) More signficantly, a whole lot of meddling from network executives. We have the shittest media executives around. Generally bean counters with little content experience who love to micro-manage, hate taking risks, and just make s**t up as they go along.

thats basically my problem, they use artifical devices to compensate for story. The DP adopting techniques best left to MTV, or trying to use Doyle and Wong Kar-Wai's frame speed, using their soundtrack to drive the story. It is not working. I could watch the shows, without a story, and just hear the music and the DP footage, and understand the narrative they wish to project. I am getting a heads up on the script 2 seconds before something is about to occur. They should be my advisor on Sports Tonight for the next day's meet at Flemington, so I could put good use to their prophesy.

Go and see David Simon's public talks on his philosophy behind The Wire, as he was the creator and first coupla series screnwriter and producer. That guy knows how to deliver quality.

The only thing he used, as a go-to iteration was his "sheeeet meme". His series was thoroughly original, albeit, taking a position in genre crime-cop tv series. We rip off law-and-order with cute young nubile starlets who have their own cosmetic surgeon on retainer.

[YOUTUBE]pUjh9Id6Id8[/YOUTUBE]

On the face of it, that may appear so. Let's not forget though, he was obliged to watch all of those films which were "s**t" well beyond the ten minute mark. For me, that kind of torture would cancel out any element of cushiness.
I actually seek out cr@p film. I watched Baz Luhrmann's Australia (willingly) on the first day it came out, fully realising the depths of excrement I was to bathe in. I felt I needed a shower with one of those pressure hoses that folks use to clean boats with.

I did not do it for the cinema quality, I did it to see how you can raise a $30 million production budget for fertilizer.

#Incitec_Pivot

If it wasn't for the ABC and the Footy, I don't think I would watch TV.

edit: I probably would as it's easy and cheap "entertainment" but I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

BTW apart from episode 2 (offered nothing to the story line) I enjoyed the slap

If it wasn't for the ABC and the Footy, I don't think I would watch TV.

edit: I probably would as it's easy and cheap "entertainment" but I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

BTW apart from episode 2 (offered nothing to the story line) I enjoyed the slap

would'a' been better called 'The Slapper, and have some benzo'ed out 'o'her mind middle age hornbag go the root.

And it needed a resolution where the drunk guy found a way to top himself. Car CO2 with Harry's pool cleaner pipes, what do they call those automatic pool cleaners from the 80's. Creepy Crawly (ies). good memory blackcat, but reveals your home bourgeois childhood raising <dammit>

The drunk guy, needed to go around to Harry's Brighton Beach Rd mansion, and steal a plastic pipe from his creapy crawly, and hook it up to his VW beetle, or whatever shitbox he had, and off himself.

That made sense, would'a' been authentic. As it is, every scene he has a VB in his hand, or going to the fridge, and asking everyone if they wanna drink. This resolution would never have even passed approval in the teaching template if you are taking a playwrite short course at a second tier institution like Deakin. That drunk guy was suffering so much existential trauma it would'a' killed Nick Drake too, again.

If we look at the 2 last series of Underbelly,especially Razor,the acting was sad and the storylines boring,the narration and dialog was mumbled.
historically the period had some interest and the series producers made it look like a second rate Carson's Law:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back