Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, where does this "belief" come from?

I'm not suggesting that we definitely wouldn't spend 3rd round picks on Martyn or Coleman, but as you've said it's very early days.

I like both of these boys and think we're a good chance to take both of them, right now I couldn't see us matching second round picks for them but don't think we'll have to make those decisions anyway.

And I'd take Cumberland over Reville if it came down to a choice between the two, Reville might need to do an extra year in the Academy like Keidean to be draft-ready.
Just a gut feeling.

I thought it last year after the trade period, and again during the draft when we traded out the future fourth round pick for the pick that we used to draft Answerth, but kept both third round picks.

I didn't believe there were particular kids earmarked at the time, even though this years academy kids have been spoken about a little since their U16 year. Just that if we had one or two academy kids rated high enough, we have the picks to match the bids, or pick the kids outright.

I'll be a little disappointed if an opposition team bids on one of our academy kids before our current first three picks. After our current first three picks, I don't believe it matters if the bids come in the late second or early third round.

I'm not sure where Martyn and Coleman sit amongst this years draftees. I know one of the main draft watchers rates Martyn as a potential top 30 prospect. Last year one of the draft watchers compared Martyn to SA's U18 captain Luke Valente, who went pick 32 last year.

This years draft, in terms of the first two rounds, is not too dissimilar to last years draft, just not as many elite talents at the top end, from discussions on the draft board. However current discussions are that it's not looking as deep after the first two rounds.

Looking at last years draft, small forwards who are somewhat similar to Coleman were picked in the late second round, Irving Mosquito at pick 38 and Jarrod Cameron at pick 39.

Just a gut feeling.

I thought it last year after the trade period, and again during the draft when we traded out the future fourth round pick for the pick that we used to draft Answerth, but kept both third round picks.

I didn't believe there were particular kids earmarked at the time, even though this years academy kids have been spoken about a little since their U16 year. Just that if we had one or two academy kids rated high enough, we have the picks to match the bids, or pick the kids outright.

I'll be a little disappointed if an opposition team bids on one of our academy kids before our current first three picks. After our current first three picks, I don't believe it matters if the bids come in the late second or early third round.

I'm not sure where Martyn and Coleman sit amongst this years draftees. I know one of the main draft watchers rates Martyn as a potential top 30 prospect. Last year one of the draft watchers compared Martyn to SA's U18 captain Luke Valente, who went pick 32 last year.

This years draft, in terms of the first two rounds, is not too dissimilar to last years draft, just not as many elite talents at the top end, from discussions on the draft board. However current discussions are that it's not looking as deep after the first two rounds.

Looking at last years draft, small forwards who are somewhat similar to Coleman were picked in the late second round, Irving Mosquito at pick 38 and Jarrod Cameron at pick 39.
From what I have heard last year interstate recruiters had their eyes on three Qld 2001 born kids Kobe Tozer and two Gold Coast players If Tozer recovers watch him rise up the rankings.

Nice to see Connor has a talented brother too. Lachlan Harrop also from our academy kicked a goal and named in the best.

You're right about Noah McFadyen being talented, but most will agree that he's probably a better cricketer than a footballer (captained the Australian U16 cricket side this year) and more likely to pick cricket when the time comes for him to make a choice.

Connor also played junior cricket for Australia but stress fractures in his back pushed him towards footy after school.

Lochy Harrop is a good prospect, he's been playing senior footy for Sandgate in the QAFL this year, but he's on the small side and not particularly quick so he's got some work to do to make himself draftable.

You're right about Noah McFadyen being talented, but most will agree that he's probably a better cricketer than a footballer (captained the Australian U16 cricket side this year) and more likely to pick cricket when the time comes for him to make a choice.

Connor also played junior cricket for Australia but stress fractures in his back pushed him towards footy after school.

Lochy Harrop is a good prospect, he's been playing senior footy for Sandgate in the QAFL this year, but he's on the small side and not particularly quick so he's got some work to do to make himself draftable.
Pfffft, as if there is even any money to make in cricket these days!:think:

It'd be nice if we could do some sort of swap with Gold Coast to get Mornington Island put into our zone, since Charlie Cameron is from there and he can be used for developing football there, as well as hopefully inspiring the community to address some of the alcohol problems. Anyone know if the club has asked the AFL about this?

It'd be nice if we could do some sort of swap with Gold Coast to get Mornington Island put into our zone, since Charlie Cameron is from there and he can be used for developing football there, as well as hopefully inspiring the community to address some of the alcohol problems. Anyone know if the club has asked the AFL about this?
It's romantic but the next closest Lions area is almost 1000km south, it's fairly impractical.

I'd be in favour of Charlie promoting football there for the GC's academy FWIW.

Why the complaints about the northern Academy gems have been absent
A DEAFENING silence has accompanied this year's draft chatter. Namely, the complaints about the northern clubs' Academy gems have been noticeably absent. It's no secret why: just five such players scored an invite to this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine, while a further six are attending a state Combine and two others are going to the Rookie Me Combine.

In comparison, there were six Academy members at last year's AFL Draft Combine, 10 went to a state combine and three tested at the Rookie Me Combine. Only Greater Western Sydney prospect Tom Green (No.5) featured in the top 30 of AFL.com.au draft guru Callum Twomey's August update of his 2019 Phantom Form Guide. One Next Generation Academy member, Fremantle's Liam Henry (No.12), is in the same elite group.

The NGA system is considered the AFL's peace offering to the other 14 clubs – outside of the Giants, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast – and gives them priority access to indigenous and multicultural talent. More tinkering is taking place, with South Australian and Western Australian clubs set to receive greater access to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players in their NGAs from 2020.

The Swans will have no Academy players at the 2019 AFL Draft Combine, and just one each at the Victorian state combine (Hamish Ellem) and the Rookie Me Combine (Luke Parks). They, of course, have benefited from the same system, with top-liners Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills and Nick Blakey the pick of the bunch.

The next test of rival clubs' reaction to Sydney's feeder pool, in particular, will come next year, when midfielders Braeden Campbell and Errol Gulden are eligible to be drafted. Neither is considered in Heeney's, Mills' or Blakey's class – and they are both sub-180cm at this stage, with only Campbell given a shot to surpass that – but both project as likely first or second-round picks.

Any adverse club feedback risks being hypocritical, given how 2019 is unfolding and the general consensus that all Academies will have swings and roundabouts. The GWS (Liam Delahunty and Tom Green), Gold Coast (Connor Budarick) and Brisbane (Noah Cumberland and Will Martyn) Academies will all be represented at this year's AFL Draft Combine.

The Swans and Giants each tip in more than $1 million annually into developing their Academy players, while the Lions and Suns continue to increase their Academy expenditure.

THE NORTHERN ACADEMIES
2019 NAB AFL Draft Combine

Noah Cumberland (Brisbane Lions Academy)
Will Martyn (Brisbane Lions Academy)
Connor Budarick (Gold Coast Academy)
Liam Delahunty (GWS Academy)
Tom Green (GWS Academy)

2019 State Combines
Keidean Coleman (Brisbane Academy)
Kobe Tozer (Brisbane Academy)
Matt Conroy (Gold Coast Academy)
Josh Gore (Gold Coast Academy)
James Peatling (GWS Academy)
Hamish Ellem (Sydney Academy)

2019 Rookie Me Combine
Matt McGrory (GWS Academy)
Luke Parks (Sydney Academy)

More tinkering is taking place, with South Australian and Western Australian clubs set to receive greater access to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players in their NGAs from 2020. That is just insane. There will always be more indigenous talent coming out of WA than all talent coming out of the respective Northern Academies and now WA in particular will get priority access. I'm honestly lost for words, yet so not surprised either.

Why the complaints about the northern Academy gems have been absent

More tinkering is taking place, with South Australian and Western Australian clubs set to receive greater access to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander players in their NGAs from 2020. That is just insane. There will always be more indigenous talent coming out of WA than all talent coming out of the respective Northern Academies and now WA in particular will get priority access. I'm honestly lost for words, yet so not surprised either.
Part of this is that they can’t match bids on kids in the top 30 (or 40, can’t remember the exact cut off).

Basically the most talented kids will still be available to every club in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three Lions boys involved: Blake Coleman, Saxon Crozier and Carter Michael.

I know Blake Coleman is the younger brother of Keidean but does anybody know much about the other 2 young guys in the GF day under 17 game ie. Saxon Crozier and Carter Michael, what type of player they are and how highly rated?

I know Blake Coleman is the younger brother of Keidean but does anybody know much about the other 2 young guys in the GF day under 17 game ie. Saxon Crozier and Carter Michael, what type of player they are and how highly rated?

I feel like this is Judge time to shine.

Haven't seen them play, but what I can tell you is that they're all under 190cm so they're probably not KPPs.

I feel like this is Judge time to shine.

My son is the same age as these guys, he's been playing with and against them at different levels since he was 11 so I know them all pretty well.

Saxon Crozier seems to have had the big push from the Academy over the past 18 months or so, he's a good size, marks and kicks the ball well but lacks pace and I'm not sure he has the intangible "ticker" that a lot of recruiters look for first before assessing anything else.

That is, my view is that Saxon is a really nice kid who (like most players his age) doesn't relish the contact side of the game, so at this stage I find it hard to see him actually making it in the AFL if he gets drafted.

Blake Coleman is very similar to his brother Keidan in many ways, although he's a goal kicking half forward whereas Keidan tends to play behind the ball a bit more.

Blake is a gun, regularly kicks bags and reminds me a lot of Michael Walters, I reckon he's a decent chance of becoming a good league footballer.

I like Carter Michael as well, lovely left foot off half back or the wing, but I think he'll need to put on some size over the next 12 months and find a bit more of the ball to improve his draft prospects.

How high do you rate his ceiling?

It's a bit hard to say at this point, but things should become a lot clearer next year when he plays in the Academy series again and then (presumably) for the Allies against the stronger U18 sides.

We haven't seen Blake play at this higher level yet, but i could easily see him having an impact next year similar to that of NT's Malcolm Rosas who I thought looked pretty special at times playing for the Allies this year.

So I'm not sure about Blake's ceiling just yet, but in terms of his floor I think he'd be dominant at any level below the AFL as he just has that bit of magic about him that the good indigenous juniors seem to have.

Coleman hungry to grab opportunity on the big stage (Jess Webster)
Lions Academy member Keidean Coleman is determined to make the most of his opportunity in Sunday’s NEAFL decider against Southport. The exciting young gun – who made history this year as the first academy member to earn selection in the NEAFL Team of the Year – is one of six academy players who will have the opportunity to play on the big stage.

The chance to play in a Grand Final is not lost on Coleman, who says they will give it everything they can do help Brisbane win the flag. “Obviously there are another six players that I’m sure would like to be playing on that day. Obviously we can’t help it, but it means a lot to us (academy players),” he told neafl.com.au. “You want to go out there and play the best you can. You don’t want to leave anything on the table because all the other players who missed out would love to be there. “You want to take that opportunity and grab it with both hands.”

Coleman has led the charge for Brisbane’s academy contingent in season 2019, regularly impressing amongst one of the strongest sides in recent memory packed with AFL-listed talent every week. The 19-year-old played 17 matches this year and never looked out of place, earning a NEAFL Rising Star nomination in the process.

Coleman said the support from the club, the Lions Academy, and relationships he has built has enabled the AFL Draft prospect to flourish. “After I missed out in the Draft last year I was looking forward to playing NEAFL and enjoying it even more than last year. I wasn’t expecting to play in nearly every match.
“The boys around me have made me improve off the field, and I’m constantly learning on the field as well.

“It’s been great fun going to training each week. Through the academy, you get to see the standard they (AFL listed players) train and we get a lot of things, like being able to do extras at the Gabba, an all these opportunities that other players don’t, so I’m very grateful.”

Born in Katherine, about 300 kilometres south-east from Darwin in the Northern Territory, Coleman was just 11 years old when he packed his bags for Brisbane to chase the AFL dream. His ties to his home town are still very strong, and there will be a few family members who will make the trip across the border to watch Coleman in action this weekend in arguably the biggest match of his career so far.

“The support from back home has been great and my mum will fly over from the Northern Territory to watch me play this week,” he said. “I’ve played in a few junior Grand Finals but this one - being in the NEAFL - it’s going to be even bigger. I’m really looking forward to it.” Brisbane takes on Southport for the 2019 premiership from 1pm on Sunday at Fankhauser Reserve. The match will be streamed live on NEAFL TV.

Congrat's to the following Academy boys in their selection in the AFL National Academy program for season 2020!!!
Noah McFadyen - 16yrs (Kedron JAFC / Wilston Grange)
Blake Coleman -17yrs (Wynnum JAFC / Morningside)
Carter Michael -17yrs (Maroochydore JAFC / Maroochydore)
Jack Briskey -17yrs (Toowoomba Tigers / Western Magpies)
Saxon Crozier -17yrs (West Juniors JAFC / Morningside)
Tahj Abberley -17yrs (Moreton Bay JAFC / Sandgate / Aspley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back