Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn’t there are kid up the Sunshine Coast who’s supposed to be pretty good, who opted out of the academy and is playing club footy instead.

Isn’t there are kid up the Sunshine Coast who’s supposed to be pretty good, who opted out of the academy and is playing club footy instead.

No idea about that. I really don't see a reason to not go with the academy if selected. Possible reasons may be difficulty of travel to training? Cost? Was about $200 last season, some may find it a stretch with club costs etc on top.

But the pros of participating in the academy make the cons insignificant for the financially stable. Boys train with kids who can kick and catch. Get great coaching from Lions staff. Fitness programs, diet education, etc. Clubs allow kids to train once per week with club and once with academy, so the workload doesn't get too much.

The academy keeps tweaking towards improvement. Not a lot one can say negatively.

Last edited:
No idea about that. I really don't see a reason to not go with the academy if selected. Possible reasons may be difficulty of travel to training? Cost? Was about $200 last season, some may find it a stretch with club costs etc on top.

But the pros of participating in the academy make the cons insignificant for the financially stable. Boys train with kids who can kick and catch. Get great coaching from Lions staff. Fitness programs, diet education, etc. Clubs allow kids to train once per week with club and once with academy, so the workload doesn't get too much.

The academy keeps tweaking towards improvement. Not a lot one can say negatively. But of course I do have another gripe; 2019 AFLQ U16s selection is based on AFLX carnivals. I don't know if this was an academy idea or AFLQ. But obviously the Lions have gone along with it.

There are 3 stages (AFLX carnivals) to QLD selection. This to me is mind boggling. In a fast game like AFLX, those that stand out will be runners. Mostly smalls, not necessarily 'footballers' and certainly not talls. You will see more Caleb Daniels excelling than a Dustin Martin or Tom Hawkins. While im big on innovation, I think this was poorly thought out.
That's like basing Test Cricket selection on T20 form and surely we wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, Ummm.......yer forget I said that.

Academy Wrap: A new era (Kobe Howard)
A new era in the Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy has been launched, thanks to the introduction of the NAB Under 18’s League. The NAB League is a rebranding of the Victorian Under 18 competition, formerly known as the TAC Cup. But this time, teams from Queensland New South Wales, the Northern Territory and Tasmania will be able to compete.

Luke Curran, Academy Manager, says this is a golden opportunity for his Lions Academy members to travel down to Victoria and line up against the best in the country for the first time. “Now our players are being exposed to playing against some of the best Victorian players, which is good to see how they stack up,” Curran said. “It also helps recruiters and different clubs compare players from around the country. “Before our players have been a little isolated up here in Queensland but now playing with, and against people from other states it is going to be great for their development.”

Lions Academy Coach Josh Hunt is equally convinced that the new league will widen the future prospects for the Lions Academy players. “It is great to be exposed outside of the Queensland bubble, as some of our players have never played against players of that standard,” he said. “From a recruiting and talent ID point of view it gives us an opportunity to assess our players against some of the best players around the country.”

The boys had a victory in their first game in Sydney against GWS but suffered a loss last week against the Suns. Hunt said he believes his young men can be strong contenders against the ‘traditional’ football teams. “We’ve had one good win and then one performance on the weekend where we probably didn’t stick to what we needed for long enough,” he said. “But, I’m quietly confident that if we go about things the way that we can, that we will compete well and give it a shake.”

Lions Academy matches coming up:

Sun 14th April

= U18 Boys Lions vs. Eastern Ranges (NAB League Game) 1:15pm @ Southport

Sat 27th April

= U18 Boys Lions vs. Sandringham Dragons (NAB League Game) 10:45am @ Sandringham

Sun 28th April

= U16 Boys Lions vs Suns, 11:00am @ Broadbeach > game 1 of QLD U16 State Squad selection process

Reckon your academy selections this year may come down to main list - Martyn, Coleman , Rookie - one out of Cumberland, Reville , Griffith or Jeffery . Smokie Samson Ryan
I believe Martyn and Coleman have been “budgeted for” with the two third round picks.

If another team bids on either player before our second 2nd round pick, it might be a tough decision, especially if a kid like Lachlan Potter is still on board.

I really hope to see Reville picked up as a rookie. Depends on how many, if any, rookie spots we have come draft time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Martyn and Coleman have been “budgeted for” with the two third round picks.

If another team bids on either player before our second 2nd round pick, it might be a tough decision, especially if a kid like Lachlan Potter is still on board.

I really hope to see Reville picked up as a rookie. Depends on how many, if any, rookie spots we have come draft time.
Think Cumberland may be more productive at a higher level though Reville is more silky

Just out of curiosity is anyone aware of any future talent? Personally feel that we haven’t struck ‘gold’ with our academy picks even though the academies have been over hyped by those down south.

Just out of curiosity is anyone aware of any future talent? Personally feel that we haven’t struck ‘gold’ with our academy picks even though the academies have been over hyped by those down south.

I can't claim to having watched a heap of u16s/u18s Qld footy, but the more I observe that environment from the outside, you notice how touted juniors don't seem to go on with their development, while others who are late bloomers seem to do better. That's why the ability to keep young guys into their U19 year is so good for us.

I haven't heard of any prodigious talents in the rank, but then again I don't have my ear to the ground like others might.

Last edited:
I agree as far as quantity is concerned but we have a couple looking good.

Harris Andrews = Gold.
Eric Hipwood = Looking like potential Gold.

Out of interest, where does this "belief" come from?

I'm not suggesting that we definitely wouldn't spend 3rd round picks on Martyn or Coleman, but as you've said it's very early days.

I like both of these boys and think we're a good chance to take both of them, right now I couldn't see us matching second round picks for them but don't think we'll have to make those decisions anyway.

And I'd take Cumberland over Reville if it came down to a choice between the two, Reville might need to do an extra year in the Academy like Keidean to be draft-ready.

For the 2020 draft the cupboard is looking pretty bare, Tajh Abberley is probably the clubhouse leader at the moment but still has a fair way to go. Carter Michael from the Sunshine Coast is another possibility, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a big step forward next year if he stays fit and puts on some size and weight.

I had high hopes for Hugh Fidler in next year's draft but he's not playing this year due to concussion issues and his playing future is a bit uncertain. Hopefully Hugh bounces back as at 16 he already has the size(86kg), ability overhead and physicality to play senior footy.

For 2021, Lochie Harrop is one to keep an eye on and probably Queensland's best U16 this year. He's presently playing senior QAFL footy for Sandgate and has kicked 7 goals in his first two games, plenty of skill and ticker but size and lack of top end speed might hold him back in the long run. Others will no doubt come through over the next year or so, but historically this age group hasn't been strong in the Brisbane zone.

The fact that I can't mention more Academy boys in that 16/17 bracket is an indictment on the Academy's structure and ability to identify and develop talent, anyone who thinks we're doing that well at the moment is kidding themselves.

Last edited:
For the 2020 draft the cupboard is looking pretty bare, Tajh Abberley is probably the clubhouse leader at the moment but still has a fair way to go. Carter Michael from the Sunshine Coast is another possibility, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a big step forward next year if he stays fit and puts on some size and weight.

I had high hopes for Hugh Fidler in next year's draft but he's not playing this year due to concussion issues and his playing future is a bit uncertain. Hopefully Hugh bounces back as at 16 he already has the size(86kg), ability overhead and physicality to play senior footy.

For 2021, Lochie Harrop is one to keep an eye on and probably Queensland's best U16 this year. He's presently playing senior QAFL footy for Sandgate and has kicked 7 goals in his first two games, plenty of skill and ticker but size and lack of top end speed might hold him back in the long run. Others will no doubt come through over the next year or so, but historically this age group hasn't been strong in the Brisbane zone.

The fact that I can't mention more Academy boys in that 16/17 bracket is an indictment on the Academy's structure and ability to identify and develop talent, anyone who thinks we're doing that well at the moment is kidding themselves.
Crozier has looked pretty good in the nab league

Thanks plenty for that information Judge. I do agree in part with your statement about identification. I am not privy to the goings on with Academy setup but thought that Noble has made comment about it needing to be improved. My concern is that are we looking outside of our code and trying to bring over other highly rated athletes from other codes? I know that others will raise Ponga, Hipwood and McFadyen bit I haven’t really heard an academy kid say without it they wouldn’t have been playing Aussie rules.

Thanks plenty for that information Judge. I do agree in part with your statement about identification. I am not privy to the goings on with Academy setup but thought that Noble has made comment about it needing to be improved. My concern is that are we looking outside of our code and trying to bring over other highly rated athletes from other codes? I know that others will raise Ponga, Hipwood and McFadyen bit I haven’t really heard an academy kid say without it they wouldn’t have been playing Aussie rules.

Archie Smith and Fullarton might fall into that category

Crozier has looked pretty good in the nab league

Yep, Crozier is the other under-ager who's been given plenty of opportunities, he's solid but in my view he lacks a bit of pace and doesn't excel in any particular facet of the game.

I've seen a lot of these guys over the years and at the moment I rate Abberley and Michael higher than Crozier, things might well be different by this time next year.

Yes the feeling a couple of years ago was that our academy we going to produce some real quality for us. We did get access to Andrews and Hipwood a few years ago but apart from that none of our academy players have really kicked on. In fact the last couple of years have only produced a couple of project talls and a rather raw ex cricketer in McFayden. We certainly haven't had the success of GWS.
Do you have any opinions you wish to share here on what some of the issues might be?

Yes the feeling a couple of years ago was that our academy we going to produce some real quality for us. We did get access to Andrews and Hipwood a few years ago but apart from that none of our academy players have really kicked on. In fact the last couple of years have only produced a couple of project talls and a rather raw ex cricketer in McFayden. We certainly haven't had the success of GWS.
Do you have any opinions you wish to share here on what some of the issues might be?

With the players leaving we’ve done better than GWS. Sydney has down better than them too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back