Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

The club would be licking their lips over getting Fullarton to add to their 2019 list. I hope Coleman really blitzes the carnival, the kid is a serious footballer.

acuguy pumping up the Panthers kids again!

Couple who might turn out to be useful AFL standard players, but no top end talent to get excited about. Coleman has some nice attributes no doubt, his testing numbers will play a big factor in where he ends up ranked I think, in particular his aerobic capacity. I’m a McFayden fan and I like Stackelberg too but not sure he’s draftable.

Stackleberg screams rookie list to me. Kid is tenacious from what I’ve seen and heard.

I’m yet to see McFadyen play, but have heard good things for years about his talent. Has a younger brother who looks likely as well.

Stackleberg screams rookie list to me. Kid is tenacious from what I’ve seen and heard.

I’m yet to see McFadyen play, but have heard good things for years about his talent. Has a younger brother who looks likely as well.
Stackelberg is tough and loves to compete, he’s hard not to like. He maybe lacks a bit of polish and I get the feeling he may be a bit more developed than others and hence why he seems to be so good physically. Rookie list would be a good result for him I think.

McFayden looks like the modern tall to me, moves really well, plenty to work with.

Looks like Stackleberg has been dropped from the Allies team with Blakey returning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's on the Lions' draft radar?
The Lions would get first call on Casey under the father-son rule and also have access to Academy midfielder Connor McFadyen.

McFadyen is a big-bodied midfielder who can also play as a forward and was named as an All Australian after a strong carnival for the Allies. Conole said McFadyen was shaping as a possible second-round pick at the draft.

The Academy is looking to cast its net for talent wider. Great idea IMO! I see a lot of good kids running round that aren't in the Academy and should be. Kids mature at different rates and this move by the Academy will make speed of maturity less of an obstacle for talented kids. Below is the advisement provided to Academy members via email.

"...….growing the number of players in the program with our aim to more than double the number of athletes over the next four years, and to provide the additional resources, coaching, infrastructure, wellbeing, sport science to ultimately give your son or daughter the best possible chance to achieve their football aspirations..."

Will Tasker (Brother of Sam Tasker, both in Lions Academy) has been invited to BJs B&F night, Div1 u16s. Will, and Sam are sons of Sean Tasker whom played some 50 (?) games for the Adelaide Crows.

Sean was a late bloomer, didn't make a rep side till he was 16yo.

Just sayin..

Will Tasker (Brother of Sam Tasker, both in Lions Academy) has been invited to BJs B&F night, Div1 u16s. Will, and Sam are sons of Sean Tasker whom played some 50 (?) games for the Adelaide Crows.

Sean was a late bloomer, didn't make a rep side till he was 16yo.

Just sayin..

Will Tasker is a very solid player and I've always thought that he's a bit underrated, I haven't seen anything from him yet which makes him a likely draft prospect but he's worth keeping an eye on.

Will Tasker is a very solid player and I've always thought that he's a bit underrated, I haven't seen anything from him yet which makes him a likely draft prospect but he's worth keeping an eye on.
Cant say ive watched him since the 2013 U12s GF between Coolaroo and Dalby Swans! Ha!

Just thought as he is playing in a high div, and must be playing ok, perhaps he is a late bloomer like his dad and as such was worth a mention. Nice kid.

Kids often show an abundance of talent, x factor, skills as they grow. However they don't start putting all those skills into single games until their brain, maturity (or even size) etc catches up. That's why I like the Academy expanding its numbers. You just don't know what you got till about u16-17.

1 more thing. I think the Academy should again run 'future stars' trials for cross code kids. But make the age group from u15-17 instead of (u13s i think it used to be) younger age groups. Talented Kids playing RL (and other sports) don't realise they aren't suited to that particular sport until their height growth begins to slow… about u15. (same as Keiran Jack realised it). There are ways to target that particular sporting age group, but that's another conversation.

Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back