thebigboy

Premiership Player
Dec 20, 2005
Parkdale
AFL Club
Essendon
Draw was released last night.

Group H
Adelaide United (AUS), Shandong Luneng (CHN), Cup winners (JPN), Pohang Steelers (KOR)

Group E
Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (KOR), Melbourne Victory (AUS), Beijing Guoan (CHN), Kawasaki Frontale (JPN)

Both are very tough groups.

Wouldn't like to get many injuries before the tournament. Certainly cannot afford to lose Hernandez and Thompson during the tournament like last time.

Both sides are going to have a tough time qualifying. Both are going to need strong home form.

We're going to get spanked so bad, it'll be an embarrassment to the nation.

I'd even go so far as to suggest the FFA removes us from the competition.

Group E
Seongnam Ilhwa Chunma (KOR), Melbourne Victory (AUS), Beijing Guoan (CHN), Kawasaki Frontale (JPN)

According to the AFC website this is the group of death out of the east asian groups. :(

used to be 1 but i think top 2 as of last year... I thought the champions started off later in the tournament (ie not group stages). DB is right we will cop a hiding.

If it's the same as this season, top two go through, but the round of 16 is only one game: Newcastle finished 2nd this year, went to Pohang and got spanked 6-0. So very important to top the group still.

Really looking forward to it, at least our coaching staff have that experience of Asia from two years ago and our squad should be in much better shape than that unsuccessful tilt, which followed a poor A-League season. Beijing just won their first Chinese title (with the assistance of the Griffiths brothers, who might not be around next season), Kawasaki are Japanese runners-up (with the phenomenally successful Juninho up front, who has scored about 150 goals for the club and Seongnam are probably the weakest of our opponents, coming off a fourth placed finish in Korea (and are the home of Sasa Ognenovski). I'm very confident we'll finish at least 2nd in this group and go through.

why can japan leave out their cup winners but we have to nominate the previous years premiers and champions? Preferential treatment?

Its also about time the australian teams start performing well in this tournment hopefully melbourne have learnt from previous years and do well, although i still think they need a tall striker to be a real threat.

Its also about time the australian teams start performing well in this tournment

2007 - Sydney finished 2nd in group e (one point behind eventual winners Urawa Reds)
Adelaide finished 3rd in group g

2008 - Adelaide finished runners up of the entire tournament
Melbourne finished 2nd in group g (behind eventual winners Gamba Osaka)

2009 - Newcastle finished 2nd in group e, knocked out by eventual winners Pohang Steelers, away in round of 16
Central Coast finished last in group h.

So, if they had the same format, that they do now...only Adelaide of 2007, and Central Coast of last year, would have actually missed out on the knockout side of the tournament.

Adelaide almost won it in 2008! And you're saying it's about time Australian clubs did something?

Hoggy you cant say if they had a different format they would of got through, all the teams knew going in what was required to get through and only adelaide has got through so far. You guys have badly underperformed in the tournament so hopefully you can do well this time.

The Adelaide final performance was good but a bit flukey, i'm not really proud of it because of the way we played also we barely had any players the club had developed itself in the team.

just wondering...

are Australian clubs eligible for the AFC Cup? (ie secondary competition to the ACL)

Nope.

And totally agree with Hoggy, Aussie clubs have done well in this comp considering the disadvantage of playing in our off-season, which has been a killer in some tight games where match fitness comes into play. That Sydney side in 2007 really should have knocked Urawa out, they were 2-0 up at home and fluffed a couple of golden chances away in a 0-0.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering its our off-season, we do very well.

I have no doubt that's one of the reasons that Asian clubs target so many of our players.

If it was during our regular season, I'd have no doubt that we would be qualifying from the groups more regularly.

I know the other Asian teams have bigger squads and no salary cap but some of their success (some, not all) comes from their great imports. Look at some of the teams we played last time. Even the crap Vietnamese team had some quality imports.

We got destroyed by Lucas (and Endo) in the final. We need to get some more quality imports in this league. I reckon all imports should be outside the salary cap that way we can throw some real money at them and get some good ones.

Group H
Adelaide United (AUS), Shandong Luneng (CHN), Cup winners (JPN), Pohang Steelers (KOR)

Emperor's Cup Final is between Gamba and Nagoya. Nagoya must win to claim their ACL ticket as they finished 9th domestically, but if Gamba prevail, the final place will instead go to Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back