Golf Adam Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

When I started this thread four days ago, I honestly didn't think THAT would happen. Unfortunately those putts on 16 and 18 sum up Adam's career under real pressure. He had 34 putts today - about four too many. Left alot short early and then down the stretch was just all over the place with his lines and confidence. The drive on 18 was hit too well. A couple of waywood irons and a bunker or two and that's all it takes. He is such an impressive guy - I just feel sick for him right now. I hope he can recover from this.

Holy s**t.

When he was 4 up with 4 to play (?), i thought he had it in the bag, turned it off and went to bed.

Can't believe it. Don't feel to sorry him though, he'd be balls deep in Anna by now.

Rory McIlroy's final round 80, at the Masters last year when 4 shots in front would have to be up there too.
Would've come in 4th seeing Greg was 6 clear. Didn't want to keep going, but definitely been a few of blokes 3 or so clear going into the final round and stumbling.

still feel gutted for him and don't wanna make it sound like an excuse because 4 shots in 4 holes is bad, but in the context of the day his round was still pretty solid. pretty much everyone at the top of the leaderboard faltered - Scott, Tiger, McDowell, Snedeker, Johnson all started the day 5 under or better... It's just of course that Adam's was the most visible and most dramatic.

And still.... 4 in 4 holes...

David Graham had a near shocker when he won his US PGA in 79. Had a 2-shot lead coming to the last - drive down the middle and then the worst-ever 6-iron played by a professional golfer. Wound up with a double-bogey, so he sneaked into the pay-off.

His opponent then choked the sudden-death play-off - so badly he was hitting his 4th shot before Graham had to play his 2nd (Par-3).

Scott lost becaus his chipping deserted him. Couldn't get up and down on 1, 3, could not get up and down for the birdie on the par 5. Could not get up and down from pots with relatively simple shots for pros. At least some of those should have been tap in's and he missed them all.

If he's still seeing Ana Ivanovic, that might not be a bad thing. Can take ll his frustration out on her :cool:
I see them both as very similar types, just watching and listening when they are interviewed they come across as lacking any positiveness in their respective attitudes ie.,devoid of the killer instinct that's needed to reach the very top. Like many others who have expressed an opinion as to how this defeat will affect his next and subsequent performances, I'm of the view that he will just continue on as normal. However, I wouldn't be knocking down the bookies door to back him any time soon.

Scott lost becaus his chipping deserted him. Couldn't get up and down on 1, 3, could not get up and down for the birdie on the par 5. Could not get up and down from pots with relatively simple shots for pros. At least some of those should have been tap in's and he missed them all.

That has just as much to do with his putting as his chipping... All of his up and downs left him with makeable putts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That has just as much to do with his putting as his chipping... All of his up and downs left him with makeable putts.

Makable but not gimmies. Most of them were straight forward chips and he needed gimmies.

At the end of the day Scott made a whole series of really soft bogey's and missed birdies. He was still flushing the ball. His chipping and putting were midweek comp standard.

Just asking. Do any of you hardened golf fans think Scott knows he can't win a major? I heard the post round interview, where he was saying he wasn't feeling nervous or anything, even while he was crumbling. Could he have gone 12 holes thinking "There's no way I can win, something will happen." Does he have very little self-belief?

Just asking. Do any of you hardened golf fans think Scott knows he can't win a major? I heard the post round interview, where he was saying he wasn't feeling nervous or anything, even while he was crumbling. Could he have gone 12 holes thinking "There's no way I can win, something will happen." Does he have very little self-belief?

He certainly doesn't come across as having a lot of it, he strikes me as one of those 'near enough is good enough' people.

Makable but not gimmies. Most of them were straight forward chips and he needed gimmies.

At the end of the day Scott made a whole series of really soft bogey's and missed birdies. He was still flushing the ball. His chipping and putting were midweek comp standard.

There was no doubt missing that gimme put on 16 rattled him.

I agree that he probably doesn't have the killer instinct. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't think he will ever fulfil his potential. Would have been nice to win a British Open, but surely you want to win a major on US soil. If he can win the Masters one day, that would be phenomenal. Ridiculous that an Aussie has yet to win it.

When McIlroy choked, I didn't think for a second that it would stop him from fulfilling his potential.

With respect to Adam Scott, right now, I'm not confident he will ever win a major.
I call Bullshit on that call.. McIlroy was an absolute trainwreck at Augusta and there is no way you could have forseen him 'fullfilling his potential instantly after.. Easy call in retrospective.. Up until the US open he struggled to close out events..

Scott's putting is what lets him down. Sure he's improved it by going to the broomstick, but under pressure it goes to s**t.

McIroy however can get hot with the putter, under pressure his putting is usually the thing that gets him out of trouble.

I call Bullshit on that call.. McIlroy was an absolute trainwreck at Augusta and there is no way you could have forseen him 'fullfilling his potential instantly after.. Easy call in retrospective.. Up until the US open he struggled to close out events..

Think what you will. Maybe "fulfilling his potential" isn't the right phrase. After McIlroy blew up at Augusta, my opinion was that he would easily win a major or 2 at some point. After Scott blew up at the Open, my opinion is that he is unlikely to ever win a major. I think it was quite obvious that McIlroy was a great talent, Scott has never done anything to warrant equivalent adulation.

18 worldwide wins, including a Player's Championship and World Golf Championship might suggest he is pretty talented

Was just about to come and post the same thing, I would never put him in the McIlroy sort of talent but he's basically won most big events outside of the majors (let's not forget that TOUR Championship win as well) but arguably he's a player you suggest is pretty talented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back