Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn’t particularly funny the first or second time.
Mike Pence GIF by GIPHY News

It came out of his best mates voice David King.
Wasn't just him, a general trend in reporting across the media or AFL news points, tend to say favourable things about WCE and Simpson, surprisingly so given how we dunk the Vics.
One of the only naysayers is general turdburger and parasite, Korny Cane! Maybe they're all afflicted with Harley fever?

Last edited:

The one thing the WCE have not been for about 4 years is a great football club.
It was suggested that great clubs dig themselves out of their holes (self inflicted or not?) by not panicking and sacking the coach (often compounding the problem).
There is no rule that says great clubs do not fall on hard times, look at all the great sporting clubs around the world. Having said that, in AFL, Geelong has been quite remarkable in sustained ladder success (and perhaps Swans).

WC took a gamble on their player list, as the game changed around them and Covid hit and paid the price. They've owned it and made what appears to be sweeping changes aligned with the public/supporter criticism.
When you look at the big picture, the long view, our history, WC is a great club, which looks to have turned a corner and is on the rise again. This is what great clubs do, it's their Dna.
Certainly a change in fan base mood, especially at the stadium.

Like him or hate him, the coach has stuck phat and never waivered through the whole process under intense scrutiny, deserves some credit there, let alone for his coaching chops in this season's turnaround?
There is still a long way to go, with more team building, retirements and drafting ahead, but the club has noticeably moved on, perhaps leaving some supporters still clinging to their bottle of sour milk?

It was suggested that great clubs dig themselves out of their holes (self inflicted or not?) by not panicking and sacking the coach (often compounding the problem).
There is no rule that says great clubs do not fall on hard times, look at all the great sporting clubs around the world. Having said that, in AFL, Geelong has been quite remarkable in sustained ladder success (and perhaps Swans).

WC took a gamble on their player list, as the game changed around them and Covid hit and paid the price. They've owned it and made what appears to be sweeping changes aligned with the public/supporter criticism.
When you look at the big picture, the long view, our history, WC is a great club, which looks to have turned a corner and is on the rise again. This is what great clubs do, it's their Dna.
Certainly a change in fan base mood, especially at the stadium.

Like him or hate him, the coach has stuck phat and never waivered through the whole process under intense scrutiny, deserves some credit there, let alone for his coaching chops in this season's turnaround?
There is still a long way to go, with more team building, retirements and drafting ahead, but the club has noticeably moved on, perhaps leaving some supporters still clinging to their bottle of sour milk?

No doubt at all and i am not disagreeing with that. Fans don't like clinging to the sour milk. You have to have a crew loose to think Simmo has done a good job the last 4 years. He accepted mediocrity and actually backed it in.

I went to the PFL function last friday where Don Pyke spoke about the Eagles. He said he was stunned how far off the pace in the football department the Eagles were.
He said we could not perform anywhere near the level required because the acceptance levels had dropped so far. He said they are now starting to see the club are now getting to the level required to be able to compete consistantly at this level.

So how did those standards drop so far? Who was the person overseeing all of that?

I think it's great Adam has had a rocket put up him and been given the chance, we all know the club didn't fire him because of the contract so not sure why we try to dance around that. He is one lucky man he had that contract.

Anyway luck or not I also went to the game yesterday and there is clear improvement, one has to ask however where was that competitive beast mode the previous week?

I am not sure about whether or not he said this at some point but I think he said sometimes last year don't judge me on this season. Judge me when I've got a full list to pick from.

Well based on our 3 wins and even a few of the losses Simpson is doing pretty good.

I've noticed some tactical decisions that are unusual for him. Sheed on Oliver was one out of the box that paid dividends.

Last week's game plan shift that won the second half against Collingwood was normal Simpson you could argue but still impressive.

If we continue down this path where everyone is competing and hungry even if we don't see massive amounts of wins I don't think Simpson goes tbh.

The other thing I've been impressed with is that at no time in the last 3 years of injury and defeat did he crack. He has been a professional the whole time.

You have to give this man some credits he really has some strength of character and probably someone you DO want coaching your team after going through all the s**t he and the team has for the last 3 years.

He may be coach of the year at this point.
What have you done with Smotie?

He is one lucky man he had that contract.
Anyway luck or not I also went to the game yesterday and there is clear improvement, one has to ask however where was that competitive beast mode the previous week?
It might also prove lucky for us that he had that contract?

"Where was that competitive beast mode last week?"

Am curious why you ask this, inferring what? Simpson's not a reliable coach? Our form or rebuild can't be trusted? Seems unrealistically negative..

We were without Waterman and Yeo obviously, an away game, against a good team who are #5 with a bullet. We were outclassed, out-pressured, they were too fast, too clean and picked us apart. We lost by a goal to Essendon, now 2nd on the ladder. An important step for a team in rebuild mode is gaining consistency and to start winning at home, which we appear to be doing. Next step is to win away, and Crows loom as a possible first scalp.

Anything bad could happen, and often does, but the trend is that WC is on the rise with improvement across the lines. What's not to like about that?

It might also prove lucky for us that he had that contract?

"Where was that competitive beast mode last week?"

Am curious why you ask this, inferring what? Simpson's not a reliable coach? Our form or rebuild can't be trusted? Seems unrealistically negative..

We were without Waterman and Yeo obviously, an away game, against a good team who are #5 with a bullet. We were outclassed, out-pressured, they were too fast, too clean and picked us apart. We lost by a goal to Essendon, now 2nd on the ladder. An important step for a team in rebuild mode is gaining consistency and to start winning at home, which we appear to be doing. Next step is to win away, and Crows loom as a possible first scalp.

Anything bad could happen, and often does, but the trend is that WC is on the rise with improvement across the lines. What's not to like about that?

Everything to like about it mate.

Yeah.. but.. it's not what they said. It's how they said it!! Bloody VICS :mad:
I don't put a lot of faith in what Vic footy media says, but there is generally a bit of respect for how WC have picked themselves up off the canvas and fighting back, with the Reid factor of course. Not even grudging respect, just honest acknowledgement.

It's not even hindsight that says it would have been madness to sack Simpson last year, it was obvious at the time that it would have done no good whatsoever and only set us back. In times of forced change why make unnecessary ones?

Yes and this was often your comment when I was ranting about him weekly to you. I love Simmo and I couldn't be happier to see him enjoying coaching again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta give Simpson credit for once again reinventing the team.

He's the man behind the Eagles-web in 2015, the trend bending premiership winning chip-mark style of 2018, and now a new style emerging in 2024 that is seeing us win games when everyone was tipping us going winless this year.
Actually it was the Simmo-Pyke combo that got us into the 2015 GF - albeit we got thrashed on the day. And now we have Pyke again however in a different role being CEO - so just maybe they work well together lol.

Actually it was the Simmo-Pyke combo that got us into the 2015 GF - albeit we got thrashed on the day. And now we have Pyke again however in a different role being CEO - so just maybe they work well together lol.

Pyke credited with 2015 and Mitchell with 2018.
Got it.

That pathetic first quarter proves why he's cooked as a coach. Too often over the last 3 years have we put in quarters or halves playing bruise free, zero effort football. The difference between our worst and best is massive and that is on the coach. And no it's not because we're young, there's 9 premiership players out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back