Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo's style paid off once.

Surprise surprise, so did Simmo's in 2018.

Not really sure what your point is here.

Being continuously belted by 100+ points isn't good for morale. Players also need to learn when to switch up when appropriate.

We ended up winning the last quarter also.

What do players learn from having 20+ goals kicked over their head when they lose every single centre bounce?
This: We have to learn to execute the game plan but we also need a plan b.

For years we bemoaned the fact that woosha never had a plan b.

Some teams are kryptonite to your a game - as a young team most teams are so you need to be able to do something different if you are getting pantsed. Or come the pointy end of the season a few bad losses will see you slide out of the top 4 on percentage

This: We have to learn to execute the game plan but we also need a plan b.

For years we bemoaned the fact that woosha never had a plan b.

Some teams are kryptonite to your a game - as a young team most teams are so you need to be able to do something different if you are getting pantsed. Or come the pointy end of the season a few bad losses will see you slide out of the top 4 on percentage
Listening to 6PR earlier regarding the SS v Carlton match last night and somebody said that’s what John Longmuir did when they were in a bit of strife early in the match and reverted to more a “man-on-man” being their Plan B - I did not watch the match as was out for the evening so can’t really comment too much - just repeating what was said by a caller.

Whether that’s the answer for Simmo to adopt who knows but it’s better than being stagnant. I believe in the Derby he gave some of the young guns licence to play on instinct and look what happened!

Listening to 6PR earlier regarding the SS v Carlton match last night and somebody said that’s what John Longmuir did when they were in a bit of strife early in the match and reverted to more a “man-on-man” being their Plan B - I did not watch the match as was out for the evening so can’t really comment too much - just repeating what was said by a caller.

Whether that’s the answer for Simmo to adopt who knows but it’s better than being stagnant. I believe in the Derby he gave some of the young guns licence to play on instinct and look what happened!
Issue is, Simmo’s “plan b” comes out when we are already 6 goals down and is just to stem the bleeding.

If “plan b” comes out - we aren’t winning that game of footy.

Issue is, Simmo’s “plan b” comes out when we are already 6 goals down and is just to stem the bleeding.

If “plan b” comes out - we aren’t winning that game of footy.
Plan b doesn’t have to be about winning a game.

Plan b can be about - ok we ain’t winning this, let’s not let it turn into such a blowout that percentage isn’t going to cost us top 4

You're missing the point of my original post. He hasn't had the balls to stick to the attacking game plan he said he wanted to impliment in the preseason. Bevo did and it paid off. We've got Gov, Barrass, Cole and Duggan who all will default to that "conservative" style because they've only ever had Simpson. Witherdon can't break a line and Hough is playing lock down roles. JJ is the closest line breaker we've had since Jetta and he's out of favour. If we don't get a centre clearance we struggle to even get it inside 50, let alone score because of this "conservative" s**t. You're losing anyway, grow some balls and tell them to play on.

Your not wrong in some of the things you said here. Yes we need to be more attacking and I'm sure Simpson is aware of this.

I'm not Simpsons biggest fan but I don't think you are correct in this instance. I'd rather Simpson stem the bleeding and only lose by 10 goals than try to stick to a game plan that is clearly going to blow out the final margin to probably 100 points which nobody wants.

Right now we don't have the personnel which you have pointed out to play the fast break football all the time and especially with Yeo out.

The other thing you haven't considered is the fact that if the AFL didn't bring in the magic bye right before finals about 4 of the dogs top players including bomtempelli wouldn't have played and we would have won comfortably.

Bevos magical game plan would've been history and your argument null and void.

Been very big to say that each game is not a referendum on the team or our trajectory. Never too high, never too low. Don't race in here after wins or losses, it's not a week to week journey.

But at the very least, that's the win that puts any Simpson tenure questions to bed until his contract is up. We all knew this anyway, but let's be serious now. It's over now.

+21 Inside 50s against that midfield, with no Elliot Yeo.

Beat them with speed, choked them with kick mark, won the territory battle handily.

Sheed to Oliver held him to seven touches in the first half, and he racked up the handballs in D50 late. Barely any meaningful impact, despite what was probably a nice SuperCoach day in the end.

Whatever we did with Gawn...inexplicably worked. 27 hitouts to 25 (Gawn vs Bailey). Compare that to the GC or Pies games.

Simmo's obviously got some sicko levers to pull, and he's coached a blinder there. Lock the thread until his contract runs out I say.

They stayed on the attack, played on. Used the corridor. Gov and other's took the aggressive risky kicks through the middle. Melbourne wanted us to go long down the line, and we usually went short.

That's what I was saying, that's a modern football game plan. Stick to it even if we're down.

The phrase 'even blind Freddy' is used on this board a lot. To the point I think it belongs in the boardism thread. I'm not going to use it. But I will say anyone who can't see the clear improvements and give Simmo credit for them is intentionally looking in the wrong direction.

Been very big to say that each game is not a referendum on the team or our trajectory. Never too high, never too low. Don't race in here after wins or losses, it's not a week to week journey.

But at the very least, that's the win that puts any Simpson tenure questions to bed until his contract is up. We all knew this anyway, but let's be serious now. It's over now.

Beat them with speed, choked them with kick mark, won the territory battle handily.

Sheed to Oliver held him to seven touches in the first half, and he racked up the handballs in D50 late. Barely any meaningful impact, despite what was probably a nice SuperCoach day in the end.

Whatever we did with Gawn...inexplicably worked. 27 hitouts to 25 (Gawn vs Bailey). Compare that to the GC or Pies games.

Simmo's obviously got some sicko levers to pull, and he's coached a blinder there. Lock the thread until his contract runs out I say.
Don't worry, Badge. We'll get him next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this.

His coaching has been excellent, it's so good to see.

Is it over?
Definitive statement.
Not having a dip, just interested.
Revitalised playing group driven by younger guys
I'm neither here nor there, but ain't gonna stamp Simpson's papers just yet.
Lot of water to go under the bridge until end of 25.

Is it over?
Definitive statement.
Not having a dip, just interested.
Revitalised playing group driven by younger guys
I'm neither here nor there, but ain't gonna stamp Simpson's papers just yet.
Lot of water to go under the bridge until end of 25.
I guess my argument is if they didn't sack him after gestures wildly all of that, they're not sacking him after what we've shown this season. Then a game like that buys you a hell of a lot of leash.

I'm not saying there isn't a discussion to be had about the contract extension and whether we want to go anywhere near one, but I simply don't see how anyone can earnestly say they expect he'll go prior to his contact running down.

It already looked likely anyway, and you pepper in a few strong showings plus the odd win like we've seen, it just seems like such a moot point at this stage to think anyone else will be our coach between now and his contract date.

/thread

I'm Simmo fan but want to wait until the end of the year to see where we're at.

Most people on here though getting 5 wins and a percentage in the 70's this year would be a huge tick.

It's crazy to think we might have 5 wins before the bye.
There's a long way to go this season. We still shouldn't be measuring ourselves by wins and losses but by style, effort and the ability to keep players on the park.

Gotta give Simpson credit for once again reinventing the team.

He's the man behind the Eagles-web in 2015, the trend bending premiership winning chip-mark style of 2018, and now a new style emerging in 2024 that is seeing us win games when everyone was tipping us going winless this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back