Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the Capacity info.

Etihad is actually 54,000 with limited sight lines and perhaps would be 58,000.

so i reckon each 'wing' would be 15,000 and each 'end' 14,000.

So the southern stand AO is Etihad sized. the existing western stand is smaller than etihad, the new eastern stand would be half way between etihad and the north side of the MCG (assuming the same seat measurements)

Still think the graphics look understated - perhaps to 'blend in better'

or is the pitch surface below ground level ?

Around the northern end in front of the grassed hill is another few thousand seats. The new eastern stand is bigger then the western stand.
All up the standing room included the capacity should be around 55k or more.

The current Western Grandstand holds 14,000, which when combined with the 14,000 of the new Southern Stand, and the 19,000 of the Eastern Stand, will provide 47,000 seats. Then there are the seats in front of the hill and in front of the Eastern boundary, which easily account for the remaining 3,000 seats to bring the seated capacity up to 50,000. Standing room will accomodate a few more thousand (as you can see below), so I think the total capacity of the new ground (seated and standing) will be between 52-54,000.

092114-afl-at-the-oval.jpg

The current Western Grandstand holds 14,000, which when combined with the 14,000 of the new Southern Stand, and the 19,000 of the Eastern Stand, will provide 47,000 seats. Then there are the seats in front of the hill and in front of the Eastern boundary, which easily account for the remaining 3,000 seats to bring the seated capacity up to 50,000. Standing room will accomodate a few more thousand (as you can see below), so I think the total capacity of the new ground (seated and standing) will be between 52-54,000.

092114-afl-at-the-oval.jpg

Whats the go with seating for the home & away ?

Who gets the best seats & how many:
1. SACA members
2. SANFL members
then
whats left for the other members, you know, those who join their footy club that is putting on the show.

Joe Public wont get a gig, all seats sold on seasonal basis like West Coast, how about standing room.

With crickets history of dudding Aussie Rules footy, dont tell me it hasnt beem decided ... :rolleyes: ...:thumbsdown:

1. SACA members
2. SANFL members
then
whats left for the other members, you know, those who join their footy club that is putting on the show.

Joe Public wont get a gig, all seats sold on seasonal basis like West Coast, how about standing room.

With crickets history of dudding Aussie Rules footy, dont tell me it hasnt beem decided ... :rolleyes: ...:thumbsdown:

Not exactly sure how many general admission seats there will be, but SACA members won't have access to AFL matches, so at least we won't have the same farcical situation that the MCG and SCG have. Unfortunately there will be SANFL Ultimate memberships and Adelaide Oval Ultimate memberships. The former will grant you access to all Port and Crows home games, with the latter granting you access to all cricket and football matches throughout the year.

The less of these they sell, the better for attendances IMO.

1. SACA members
2. SANFL members
then

Pretty much a similar set up to AAMI Stadium - the Western stand will be stadium members with the rest being public seating. As it is now, the majority of public seating will be sold as club memberships, but there will be several thousand tickets available for the public to purchase each game. Also, general admission memberships will be available for members that want to stand on the hill.

As RodneyMaynard mentioned, the stadium membership will be different to MCG/SCG where it will be largely split into cricket only (SACA), football only (SANFL), with only about 5000 ultimate (cricket and football) memberships available.

Also, unlike the SCG, MCG and the Gabba, Adelaide Oval will be independently run by the Stadium Management Authority, not just cricket authorities with football as a 'tenant'.

Pretty much a similar set up to AAMI Stadium - the Western stand will be stadium members with the rest being public seating. As it is now, the majority of public seating will be sold as club memberships, but there will be several thousand tickets available for the public to purchase each game. Also, general admission memberships will be available for members that want to stand on the hill.

As RodneyMaynard mentioned, the stadium membership will be different to MCG/SCG where it will be largely split into cricket only (SACA), football only (SANFL), with only about 5000 ultimate (cricket and football) memberships available.

Also, unlike the SCG, MCG and the Gabba, Adelaide Oval will be independently run by the Stadium Management Authority, not just cricket authorities with football as a 'tenant'.

So why does the SANFL need to be an intermediary? Why can't the Crows and Power just rent the ground directly off the Stadium management authority?

So why does the SANFL need to be an intermediary? Why can't the Crows and Power just rent the ground directly off the Stadium management authority?

They gotta find a way to **** up Port somehow don't they?

Useless SANFL, the day our license becomes our own is the day we prosper.

The stadium will be joint owned and run by SMA (SANFL & SACA combined) but it is structured that SANFL and SACA only have a say on things while they are in charge throughout the year. SANFL has control for 7 months and SACA for 5 months every year.
So during footy season the AFL clubs can only play through the SANFL control.

Because the SANFL own the crows and the power and I assume will be partially funding the development by demolishing AAMI Stadium?

The SANFL might be killing the golden goose but until then they aren't going to let the golden goose escape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Crows and Power crowds take off and footy in SA starts going gangbusters like in WA, I'd expect that grassy hill will be gone within a decade and new seating brought in to make it an all seater, taking capacity somewhere around the 60k mark, which is perfect for a city the size of Adelaide and will serve it well for another 50 years.

The hill and the old scoreboard is heritage listed, some part of the hill will alway remain, even if it does just turn into that pocket, but i still think those old trees to the members side of the hill were apart of the heritage listing IRRC so i think the hill will be there for at least another 20-30 years

Really do hope that the SANFL do someting about the ridicilous pricing at the kiosks there though went there today and it was outragous

Give it 15 years for the bulk of the BANANAs to die off and we'll do whatever we like with the hill. We'll chop down the fig trees and use the wood as kindling to burn down the scoreboard.

Because the SANFL own the crows and the power and I assume will be partially funding the development by demolishing AAMI Stadium?

The SANFL might be killing the golden goose but until then they aren't going to let the golden goose escape.

The funding of the AO redevelopment is far from clear. Originally I'm sure Andy Dementia & Co were claiming they'd pay $0 of the development & $0 ground rental but thats gone.

Nothing seems clear when it comes to how much/how many & who.

I'm not trusting of pollies anywhere, they need be judged on performance, & no one seems to know where the SA clubs stand.

Give it 15 years for the bulk of the BANANAs to die off and we'll do whatever we like with the hill. We'll chop down the fig trees and use the wood as kindling to burn down the scoreboard.

Why on earth would you want that?

It would be in the top 10 stadiums for appearance in the world

The first 2 days of this test match has shown the need for more modern seating at AO. People were huddling in the shady spots for the most part. Give people the chance at an extra 8-10k seats with shade and more people will attend.

The first 2 days of this test match has shown the need for more modern seating at AO. People were huddling in the shady spots for the most part. Give people the chance at an extra 8-10k seats with shade and more people will attend.

The hill area for cricket is a silly old fashioned idea. Its ok for grade & shield cricket when virtually no one goes. When they have a crowd for the BBL & other events, it may look good to have the hill crowded but its a bloody pain being their. No protection from rain, wind, heat & the UV. It surely would be much better to offer more comfortable seating & amenities to attract crowds.

I just wished they weren't removing the wicket.

Might get some life into the pitch in the first couple of days doing this, its frustrating watching a betters paradise for the first two days then its a case of can the team batting second hold on.

A few wickets and something for the bowlers could actually make cricket at the ground better.

The hill and the old scoreboard is heritage listed, some part of the hill will alway remain, even if it does just turn into that pocket, but i still think those old trees to the members side of the hill were apart of the heritage listing IRRC so i think the hill will be there for at least another 20-30 years

Really do hope that the SANFL do someting about the ridicilous pricing at the kiosks there though went there today and it was outragous

$7.00 for a mid strength beer and $9.40 for a Powerade (to rehydrate after the beers on a hot day:D) and Cornetto is about par with Football Park. So doubt the kiosk pricing will differ much from what we pay now at the Footy.

I reckon there will be some form of excuse made to cut the hill down if Adelaide Oval proves an absolute winner in the future. Afterall you can charge more for a seat then you do to have patrons sit on a grassy hill. Sitting on the hill ain't that bad in summer, had a great day yesterday, be more of an issue when it rains in winter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back