Competitions AFC Board Draft Game 2019 Version Discussion Thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

IN

STICKIED

SUGGESTIONS:
1. NO MORE CAPS LOCKED COMMENTS
2. Later start (mid December)
3. Simplify scoring to the basic metrics (games played, goals kicked, best & fairest finish, AA, Brownlow)
4. The post-draft judging to be done on gut feel only (no time consuming categories or scoring). People just rank their top five teams in order.
5. Cryptic clues for player names when you draft them a necessity (eg you might put up a picture of Batman =
Rory Sloane
or a potato =
Charlie Dixon

I'm in.

Based on what I'm seeing again for the results this year, the results are far too heavily weighted on games played. The performance based categories have very little influence.

If you select a squad that collectively plays 400 games, and has 3 All Australians, you get 430 points. But someone's squad who has zero All Australians, but plays 440 games has 440 points. And that's only an extra 40 games, which is 1.5 games more per squad member on average. Plenty of elite players might only play 18 of 22 games, yet missing those 4 games can almost negate an All Australian squad selection or top 5 B&F.

Here's my scoring suggestion:
  1. Games Played: 1 point per game
  2. Club B&F: 10 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 10th place
  3. All Australian: 15 points for team, 5 points for squad
  4. Coleman Medal: 15 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 15th place in the goal kicking list
  5. Brownlow Medal: 20 points for 1st place, 15 points for 2nd place, 13 points for 3rd place down to 1 point for 15th place
  6. 22under22: 5 points for team
  7. AFLPA Coaches Award: 10 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 10th place
  8. Premiership Player: 5 points for each
  9. Norm Smith Medal: 10 points
  10. Rising Star: 10 points for 1st, 7 points for 2nd, 5 points for 3rd
This means that the distribution of points goes from:

David Mackay: 17 points
Josh Kennedy (WCE): 14 points
Josh Kelly: 18 points
Tom Langdon: 23 points
Harris Andrews: 29 points
Jordan De Goey: 21 points
Patrick Dangerfield: 41 points
Tom McDonald: 26 points
Dayne Beams: 35 points
Jack Riewoldt: 44 points
Ben Brown: 34 points
Jack Steven: 32 points
Jason Castagna: 22 points

To:

David Mackay: 17 points (games only)
Josh Kennedy: 21 points (games, premiership, Coleman)
Josh Kelly: 18 points (games, B&F)
Tom Langdon: 23 points (games only)
Harris Andrews: 34 points (games, AA squad, B&F, 22under22)
Jordan De Goey: 39 points (games, Coleman, AA squad, 22under22)
Patrick Dangerfield: 52 points (games, AA, Brownlow, B&F)
Tom McDonald: 36 points (games, Coleman, B&F)
Dayne Beams: 49 (games, B&F, AA squad, AFLCA, Brownlow)
Jack Riewoldt: 64 points (games, B&F winner, Coleman winner, AA)
Ben Brown: 48 points (games, B&F, Coleman, AA squad)
Jack Steven: 39 points (games, B&F winner, Brownlow)
Jason Castagna: 22 points (games only)

It goes from a system where Dangerfield is worth twice Tom Langdon or Mackay, to three times a Mackay.
Josh Kennedy, who missed a chunk of games, still gets rewarded for his Premiership and being a top 15 goal kicker.
Jordan DeGoey goes from being below Tom Langdon on points, to well ahead
Tom McDonald goes from being 4 points ahead of Castagna, to 14 points ahead due to his goal kicking

The idea is that by giving players more points for awards, the better players pull well ahead. You still need to select blokes who play a lot of games, but those guns who don't play through injury won't win an award anyway.

Last edited:

I'd also consider bonus points for categories like:

20 bonus points if the 6 forwards you name on the field kick more than 130 goals combined
5 bonus points for each player who moves to another club at the end of the season
5 bonus points for each player who plays more than 15 games but gets delisted
10 bonus points for the player who has the most average goal assists (Jake Melksham in 2018)
10 bonus points for the highest meters gained average (Jayden Short)
10 bonus points for the highest one percenters average (Dougal Howard)
10 bonus points for the highest tackle average (Devon Smith)
10 bonus points for the highest rebound 50s (Heath Shaw)

But maybe that adds too much confusion or people hate it. Who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's the full suite of my suggestions. Would like feedback

Changes to End of Season Scoring

Old System (per player):
  • 1 point per game played
  • 5 points for AA team, 2.5 points for AA squad
  • 10 points for 1st place in club B&F, down to 1 point for 10th
  • 10 points for 1st rank in AFL Player Ratings, down to 0 points for the worst player (ratio for rest)
  • Multiplier based on ladder position, 1.00x for 1st, 0.95x for 18th
  • Complicated player replacement calculation system
New Proposed System (per player):
  • Games Played: 1 point per game
  • Brownlow Medal: 20 points for 1st place, 15 points for 2nd place, 13 points for 3rd place down to 1 point for 15th place
  • All Australian: 15 points for team, 5 points for squad
  • Coleman Medal: 15 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 15th place in the goal kicking list
  • Club B&F: 10 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 10th place
  • AFL Player Ratings: 10 points for 1st ranking for the player's club, down to 0 points for 30th ranking
  • AFLPA Coaches Award: 10 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 10th place
  • Norm Smith Medal: 10 points
  • Rising Star: 10 points for 1st, 7 points for 2nd, 5 points for 3rd
  • 22under22: 5 points for team
  • Premiership Player: 5 points for each

• Simple scoring/player replacement system: every player drafted accrues points in full, up until a maximum of 484 games (22 players x 22 games) are played across your squad.
  • If your squad plays more than 484 games in total, the score for your lowest scoring players will not be counted proportional to how many games over the 484 limit your squad is
  • For example if your squad plays 490 games, and your lowest scoring player plays 10 games, 6/10 games will not count for that player, so only 40% of their score will be added to your total
Changes to Vote Scoring

Old System:
  • Convoluted, time consuming voting system that barely anyone participated in
New System:
  • Every participant gives their top 5 teams, excluding their own, based on whatever metrics you like (or just gut feel). Only the ranking will count.
  • Whoever's team gets the highest total amount of votes will win by voting
Positional Eligibility:
  • Your team of 22 must include a minimum of 6 forwards, 6 defenders, and 6 midfielders.
  • Your team of 22 must have at least 2 rucks. Your second ruck must average at least 2 hitouts per match to qualify.
  • Your team of 22 must have 2 key position forwards and 2 key position defenders.
  • Your emergency list must contain at least 1 defender and 1 forward.
  • All positions except for second ruck to be defined by the AFL Player Ratings System
List Sizes
  • Minimum of 24 players, maximum of 30
Other Rules
  • You cannot change your draft selection after you post unless the player you have chosen doesn't exist, isn't on an AFL list, or has already been selected
  • No trading

I have read all the pposts on here but I dont really understand how to go about the selection process and I dont know the objectives. I would try my hand if I had a better understanding of what I have to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back