AFL 2017 - R22 - Collingwood v Geelong Cats 14:20 AEST MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't just Dangerfield.

For anyone that watched today, they would've seen the way Geelong, as a team, completely nullified any Collingwood attack after QT.

Absolutely had no breaks/gaps to get through the midfield and score freely. That's a sign of playing a finals side.
Their back line is splendid. Has been all year but only the midfield seems to get the chocolates.

Their back line is splendid. Has been all year but only the midfield seems to get the chocolates.

This. Granted, the forward line is hit or miss, especially without Hawkins and the pressure, speed and crumbing of Cockatoo and McCarthy (people may laugh, but the lack of a consistent, durable crumber has been an issue for Geelong for about five years now). But when your defence boasts Lonergan (playing as well as he ever has), Mackie (ditto), Henderson (a rock solid centre half back), Tuohy (one of the best rebounding half backs in the game), Taylor (once Hawkins is back) and Kolodjashnij/Stewart/Bews (the latter in particular, in my view) coming on, there's not much to dislike about that defence.

I don't mind if I never watch that game again, but following the Sydney game, we needed two wins to secure top four and I wasn't prepared to pencil in any of them. We've now gone two for two with a home game next week to earn a home qualifying final. They've showed me a bit this past fortnight.

Would have got 50K more at the G than at Shanty Stadium.

You don't relocate games from Geelong to Melbourne halfway through the season because the away team is performing above preseason expectations. I can't believe it was even a major discussion.

Richmond (at close to full strength) got Geelong minus three of its best four or five players and four of its best ten. What more good fortune do they need to finally beat us?

This. Granted, the forward line is hit or miss, especially without Hawkins and the pressure, speed and crumbing of Cockatoo and McCarthy (people may laugh, but the lack of a consistent, durable crumber has been an issue for Geelong for about five years now). But when your defence boasts Lonergan (playing as well as he ever has), Mackie (ditto), Henderson (a rock solid centre half back), Tuohy (one of the best rebounding half backs in the game), Taylor (once Hawkins is back) and Kolodjashnij/Stewart/Bews (the latter in particular, in my view) coming on, there's not much to dislike about that defence.

Stewart was just about the only one keeping us in it early on. Collingwood would have been about 10 goals up without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't just Dangerfield.

For anyone that watched today, they would've seen the way Geelong, as a team, completely nullified any Collingwood attack after QT.

Absolutely had no breaks/gaps to get through the midfield and score freely. That's a sign of playing a finals side.

Very gracious post. Kudos

If that's is the,cats best against leading in to the finals against the 13 placed team, u have no chance

Not even the most dedicated Geelong hater could reasonably suggest that was our best even given the personnel available, let alone with Hawkins, Selwood, Blicavs and hopefully Cockatoo back.

It was a joy listening to Salty Malty on SEN talking about how pathetic Geelong was, how they are a one man team, how they hadn't shown up, how Collingwood were playing the better football...imagine if we'd lost.

Tiger supporters arent the only ones complaining about gifted geelong decisions.
Sorry if i see a pattern there. :rolleyes:

I love the notion that the main board gameday threads are impartial.

Let's do a quick comparison of which teams (and supporters) would benefit from Geelong losing yesterday: Collingwood, GWS, Richmond, Port Adelaide, Sydney.

And the teams/supporters who benefit from a Collingwood loss: Geelong and...that's it.

A simple fact, which is reflected by all the honorary (for one day) Collingwood supporters here.

Not even the most dedicated Geelong hater could reasonably suggest that was our best even given the personnel available, let alone with Hawkins, Selwood, Blicavs and hopefully Cockatoo back.

It was a joy listening to Salty Malty on SEN talking about how pathetic Geelong was, how they are a one man team, how they hadn't shown up, how Collingwood were playing the better football...imagine if we'd lost.

Salty Malty. Love it. I loved it when Kevin Sheedy described himself as Mr Happy and MM as Mr Grumpy. Spot on.

Would have got 50K more at the G than at Shanty Stadium.
Yep, so what? It's not our home ground and we couldn't give a stuff about you entitled whingers. We will beat your mob of flat track pretenders anywhere, so you should stop complaining and hope your boys learn to play against us someday.

Collingwood v Geelong at the 'G today: 47,889. Will the Pies have to play in Geelong next year given their poor season?
They should yes as part of our 11 home games where we get to choose where to play them... our home ground.

Go Catters

They should yes as part of our 11 home games where we get to choose where to play them... our home ground.

Go Catters
I'd love to go to Kardinia Park to watch the Pies play. Would be a great environment, as hostile as it may be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back