Summary
partly-cloudy.png

Max 14
Mostly sunny.
Possible rainfall: 0 mm
Chance of any rain: 5%
rain_5.gif

Melbourne area
Light morning frost. Patches of fog over the eastern suburbs, otherwise a mostly sunny day. Light winds.

Match Preview

The equation is simple for Melbourne: win its final two games and it will play finals for the first time since 2006. That quest starts this Sunday at the MCG against the 18th-placed Lions, with the Demons fully expected to take care of business and win comfortably. However, most Melbourne players have never been in this kind of position before so it will be interesting to see how they handle the pressure. That said, the roles Nathan Jones and Jordan Lewis play, as two of Melbourne's most experienced players, will be integral in this weekend's result. The Lions have been reasonably competitive in recent weeks and are coming off their biggest win of the season against Gold Coast in the latest QClash at the Gabba on the weekend. If the Demons can start like they did against St Kilda, by booting six goals to one in the first term, then they will most likely to be able to break the Lions' resistance and coast to a comfortable victory.

THE SIX POINTS

1. After 20 matches, Melbourne is the equal-highest disposal side in the competition, averaging 406 touches per game. The Demons are one of only two sides averaging more than 400 per game.

2. Melbourne and the Lions are set to clash for the 44th time, with the Demons winning 23 games to 20. The Demons have won the past two games ending the Lions' run of five consecutive wins.

3. A big advantage for the Demons could be in the contested possession category, with Simon Goodwin's team ranked second in the AFL. The Lions are ranked last in the League in that stat.

4. In Melbourne's favour is its record against the Lions at the MCG, with the Demons winning 13 games to three at the venue. The Lions last beat Melbourne at the MCG in round one, 2012.

5. The Lions' win over the Suns last weekend was the second time they have won by more than 50 points this season. However, the Lions have not won consecutive games since rounds six and seven, 2015.

6. Both Jordan Lewis and James Harmes were named in AFL.com.au's round 21 Team of the Week.

PREDICTION: Melbourne by 35 points

Win and we are virtually there. Going to be a nervous morning

If Brisbane weren't racing for the spoon and Melbourne didn't really need this match then I think it would be a good, close game. Brisbane match up well against the Dees. But not sure the motivation will be there for Brisbane to slog this match out. Whereas it will be there for Melbourne. So you should be right.

We've had a lot of solid performances in Melbourne this year. Actually more confident than I'd otherwise be if this was at the Gabba. Demons have a habit of losing the games they're expected to win. On the verge of finals, the nerves might get to the Dees now whilst we've got nothing to lose.

I don't know, but I have a feeling that Brisbane can win this game. I'll go with Melbourne by 12 points.

Hope the dees go in thinking they can get away with an easy win and be right for finals. Hope our boys bring the same enthusiasm shown in the last few weeks.

Hope the dees go in thinking they can get away with an easy win and be right for finals. Hope our boys bring the same enthusiasm shown in the last few weeks.
Goodwin hasn't been making those sounds in the week.

Also got a sneaky feeling Brisbane can win, mostly due to poor Melbourne goal kicking. If brisbane are accurate I give them a 50% chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty confident that we'll get the win. Some really promising signs from Brisbane this year and they're going to be a quality team in the next few years but I think we will win quite convincingly. There's no excuses here, we should win, but if we are off our game, Brisbane will pounce and make it hard for us. In saying that, Melbourne by 44 points.

We are 42 point underdogs according to all the bookies. I just hope that we don't pick up any key injuries, and can finish the season with a big win at home next week.

Lions by 30-40. Have a feeling it'll be a breakout game for a lot of their young up and coming stars and give them the hope they've been searching for for next year.

I don't think we are up to it. Knowing Melbourne this year we will come off some disappointing losses (North & GWS), have a good but not convincing win (St Kilda), then switch off in a game we should win.

Don't know why Hogan is in the side either. We need Frost back.

Unfortunately it's been our MO. Have a good comeback win last week, switch off the week after. We are still an unpredictable outfit.
Yeah not saying your not a good outfit. But its got that feel about it and melbourne need to be on.

Every player out there should feel blessed. Picture perfect day ay the home of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back