Opinion AFL 2023 Round 12 - Liked, learnt, hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Exciting finishes in the two games this afternoon. Made a nice change from some thumpings earlier in the round.

Learnt - If the Cats can knock off a top 4 aspirant with a swathe of first-choice players missing then look out when they start getting personnel back.

Hated - Byes. I get they’re a necessary evil but I can stand the bye rounds.

Liked: predictably, nothing.

Hated: An atrocious performance from my club from the 2nd quarter and atrocious umpiring.

Learnt: We're not a serious finals side. You can safely tip us at home but against us away from home. Even if we make finals there is no longer a reasonable prospect of winning a final.

Liked: Wardlaw is going to be a star
Hated: Seeing Menzies injured
Learned: It's going to be a tough rebuild for the Bombers - but it'll be the right choice. Scott can get them back to finals within 5 years

Liked: predictably, nothing.

Hated: An atrocious performance from my club from the 2nd quarter and atrocious umpiring.

Learnt: We're not a serious finals side. You can safely tip us at home but against us away from home. Even if we make finals there is no longer a reasonable prospect of winning a final.
Can understand the frustration. Reckon it’s just a normal growing pain with developing sides though. Young teams with bright futures often seem to start off by making home a fortress, then learning how to win the clutch away games later. The Crows have got the first bit down; won’t be surprised if next year (or even later this year) they figure out the second part.

Liked: Back on the winners list again, North is competitive and Dwayne Russell's idea of the Northern Suns.

Learnt: Cats have been tentative in their approach in recent weeks, the rules have confused them and finally they were more aggressive at the ball and not worried about the Umpires or what the MRO might think.

Hated: Bewildering decisions still abound even with four Umpires.

Liked: The bay of Kotor
Learnt: The customs stop between Croatia and Montenegro can take three hours
Hated: Not having internet so I could watch 'Watching AFL Overseas' while waiting three hours at the Montenegro customs.

Mrs DF agrees with the above!

Liked - inspirational win from the undermanned baby bombers, against all odds and the umps able to scrape out a win.
Hated: degoey bump
Learned: It's going to be a tough rebuild for the little Roos - have a few young stars in Wardlaw and Sheezel.
Can they hold onto them when they're still losing majority of the games in 5 years time?

Liked: the footy is watchable with the sound turned off

Hated: Awful umpiring. Just awful.
How about this: we move to 2 umpires, simplify the rules (forget stand and other trash rules), leave the players to self regulate when an umpire is not nearby. It can't be worse. I have seen junior teams self umpire to a standard better the AFL umpiring over last weekend. Self umpiring means 9 x 2 (18) umpires who can better occupy themselves by officiating at the Upper Stinks Creek League Reserves games.
Some of the AFL umpiring was embarrassing to watch.
If the umpiring gets any worse it will move from the "Hated" category to "Laughed At".

Learned: Melbourne has a long way to go before they are a competitive finals team.

Last edited:
Like: Close games of footy, the game is well alive. Carlton losing again.... :)

Hated: Horrible umpiring all around. It's not always the ones paid, but the ones not paid. It's hurting teams and changing games.

Learned: North are better than we give them credit for on the back of only 2 wins. They came close against Sydney, not embarrassed against Pies and almost took out the Dons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Young Noah Long.
Taking the responsibility to kick the set shot in the 3rd Q and nail it bringing West Coast within 2 goals late in the 3rd q in a 1 V 18 game. Great moment for the kid.

Learned: Fines/light suspensions don't work.
Zorko last week - DeGoey this week. Does the AFL really think a couple of weeks holiday will prevent the next one? Do me a favour. Not sure who the bigger morons are. The players who do it, or the AFL who let it happen. This will be DeGOey's 3rd indiscretion in 13 months. Watch him laugh off a 3 week slap on the wrist and piss off the Bali.

Hated: See above

Taking the responsibility to kick the set shot in the 3rd Q and nail it bringing West Coast within 2 goals late in the 3rd q in a 1 V 18 game. Great moment for the kid.

Zorko last week - DeGoey this week. Does the AFL really think a couple of weeks holiday will prevent the next one? Do me a favour. Not sure who the bigger morons are. The players who do it, or the AFL who let it happen. This will be DeGOey's 3rd indiscretion in 13 months. Watch him laugh off a 3 week slap on the wrist and piss off the Bali.

What’s your solution to any head high hit? Life ban?

Liked: Scott’s good week and his passive cats stepping up.
Learnt: coaches can publicly call on their players to get it done . Scott has the cup and some stature so he most certainly can do it from time to time.
Hated: kangaroos not getting the W to help the cats out against baby bombers ladder position.

Liked - Finally winning a close one.

Learned - There are too many complex rules and 4 umpires just confuses things more.

Hated - Whoever was in charge of all the ridiculous rule changes like the stand rule, it's embarrassing to see a player 6 inches off his mark give away a 50 and goal for what is an umpires interpretation.

Liked - Marlion Pickett saying "hold my beer I can do better with my wrong foot" for the last five minutes
Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

Learned - That you only have to beat the Kangaroos in the last minute to get 4 players in the AFL team of the week.

Hated - Bombers falling over the line again against a bottom side, did you know that there are people alive with university degrees that weren't alive the last time Essendon won a final lol

Thanks for the joke post. Pretty sure no one wants to see concussions and eye gouging in sport - particularly when it's preventable.

Is it any wonder Aussie schoolyards are full of basketball courts and soccer balls at lunchtime?
I agree. Split second wrong decisions that are careless are different to the thuggery we used to see in the 70s,80s etc. I realise DeGoeys act was worse than Plugger on Peter Cavan according to most but no one was pissing their pants with anger when Pickett and McAdam did similar earlier in the year

I agree. Split second wrong decisions that are careless are different to the thuggery we used to see in the 70s,80s etc. I realise DeGoeys act was worse than Plugger on Peter Cavan according to most but no one was pissing their pants with anger when Pickett and McAdam did similar earlier in the year
Plugger got 8 weeks. Are you saying DeGoey will get more? I highly doubt it, but we'll check back here after the verdict.

Liked- fun game to watch but importantly my Tiges held their nerve in a close one. So proud of the lads!

Learnt- North nailed their 2022 draft hand

Hated- Friday night's game. Contender for worst ever!

Willotree, I like suspended sentences.

A player who transgresses gets a suspension but also gets a permanent suspended sentence which means if he transgresses again he gets extra weeks. I would, if he transgresses again, increase the suspended sentence.

You want to change behaviour, and provide safety for the other players, and if Degoey had a four week suspended sentence hanging over him he would think twice before injuring other players.

Carlton's RysJones NEVER transgressed once a suspended sentence was applied.

Willotree, I like suspended sentences.

A player who transgresses gets a suspension but also gets a permanent suspended sentence which means if he transgresses again he gets extra weeks. I would, if he transgresses again, increase the suspended sentence.

You want to change behaviour, and provide safety for the other players, and if Degoey had a four week suspended sentence hanging over him he would think twice before injuring other players.

Carlton's RysJones NEVER transgressed once a suspended sentence was applied.
Bloody good point there mate. I'm stealing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back