Opinion AFL 2024 Round 1 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked:
  • Annual Round 1 Western Dog Roll Over And Let Dees Do Whatever They Want Game
  • Neale ripping into his teammates then taking the day off, classic gag.
Learned:
  • Didn't know Melbourne Demon great Oscar MacDonald was on a list. That's brutal luck having worked his way back after his injuries. Football can be very cruel!
Hated:
  • Luke Beva holding his s**t together during the post-thumping presser. Disappointing!

You had to go back 10 years for that stat.

And?

‘Something you will ‘never’ have to face.’ Well I go for one of 18 teams, and in one of the last 8 completed seasons my team has faced it. (I got it wrong, it was 2016)

Literally in 2022 - TWO completed seasons ago, the Tigers were miles ahead of any team for the worst free kick differential in the league. Did they suddenly relocate interstate?

The same season you’re whinging about with Port having a -2.8 free kick differential, Richmond’s was -2.6, however Richmond’s as a percentage was actually worse because they were only receiving 15.5 - Port were getting more than 18 per game.

Even your flagship example of this supposed bias is incorrect: Richmond were, as much as it pains me to say it, the most disadvantaged team by free kicks last year, not Port Adelaide.

And?

‘Something you will ‘never’ have to face.’ Well I go for one of 18 teams, and in one of the last 8 completed seasons my team has faced it. (I got it wrong, it was 2016)

Literally in 2022 - TWO completed seasons ago, the Tigers were miles ahead of any team for the worst free kick differential in the league. Did they suddenly relocate interstate?
Do you think that all 10 victorian teams can be in the top 8 of the free kick differential each year?

Do you think that all 10 victorian teams can be in the top 8 of the free kick differential each year?

Do you think that all 8 non Victorian teams are going to have a positive free kick differential?

You just tried to use last year as the basis to support your argument and didn’t even get that right: the most heavily penalised team over the last two years has been Richmond.

Take off the hat.

And I LIKE the interstate teams. I am FROM New South Wales.

Do you think that all 8 non Victorian teams are going to have a positive free kick differential?

You just tried to use last year as the basis to support your argument and didn’t even get that right: the most heavily penalised team over the last two years has been Richmond.

Take off the hat.

And I LIKE the interstate teams. I am FROM New South Wales.
When the giants are year in year out on the receiving end of a negative FKD; when there has been 2 blatant Free Kicks not paid to the Giants in 2 Prelim Finals to Victorian teams that cost us a chance of playing the next week, there is something seriously wrong at AFL House with the way they mandate our games to officiated.

And it’s set to co time this year, if the opening 2 games are anything to go by.

You don’t have to like it.

But it is what it is.

Sydney look damn good.
Lions and Pies need to wake up and realise it's not 2023 anymore
Fremantle really impressed me. Maybe I'll bow to the vow ( more like a nod but whatever )
West Coast will be near the bottom for 3-5 years quoted by Mark Riccuito
The Doggies are all bark and no bite
Gold Coast are finals contenders at least

It's still early obviously let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Saints opened the season last year like Phar Lap on Melbourne Cup Day at Flemington. North Melbourne won their first two games of the year in 2023 then just one more for the rest of it. Port won a bunch of games straight but bowed out in the finals in straight sets.

The Earth is slow. But the Ox is patient.

Sydney look damn good.
Lions and Pies need to wake up and realise it's not 2023 anymore
Fremantle really impressed me. Maybe I'll bow to the vow ( more like a nod but whatever )
West Coast will be near the bottom for 3-5 years quoted by Mark Riccuito
The Doggies are all bark and no bite
Gold Coast are finals contenders at least

It's still early obviously let's not get ahead of ourselves. The Saints opened the season last year like Phar Lap on Melbourne Cup Day at Flemington. North Melbourne won their first two games of the year in 2023 then just one more for the rest of it. Port won a bunch of games straight but bowed out in the finals in straight sets.

The Earth is slow. But the Ox is patient.
Sure is. Took him 4 years to get back on SEN

Carlton

Liked: A simple one to start us off. We’re 2-0. It wasn’t pretty but it’s where we want to be.

Learned: Tom De Koning is ready.

For years I’ve been pro the 2-pronged ruck division. Not because I didn’t like TDK but because he physically wasn’t ready.

He is now.

He was beaten at times by Nank who is a massive unit and all heart, but otherwise TDK was excellent. What he lacks in strength in ruck contests he’s more than making up with pressure on the ball - 6 tackles a serious effort.

Hated: Fumbles and bad decision making. Massive credit to Richmond for pushing us all the way, but it shouldn’t have been that close. We had so many opportunities to kill the game but didn’t take them

Do that against a good side and they make you pay. A frustrating night at the footy for relieved Carlton fans.

AFL

Liked: The reverse of my ‘like’ for Carlton. Both grand finalists start the year 0-2 for the first time in history.

It’s not a hatred of either side that makes me say it. I just think it’s great for footy and shows how even this competition really is.

Learned: Archie Perkins can seriously play. No Parish gave him the opportunity step up and he took it with both hands.

I don’t think he can maintain that level and Parish will obviously come back in, but Essendon have been screaming for Archie (and Reid and Cox) to come on, and we may have just had the clearest indication yet that Archie’s got it in him.

Hated: I’ll be a broken record here - injuries. They’re a sad reality in our game but it doesn’t make them any less deflating.

Liked:
Archie Perkins....what a game
Freo flicking a switch
Callum Brown & Jesse Hogan - monster forwards.

Learned:
Rd1 kid observations;
I usually hate u/18 player comparisons to elite players. But Colby McKercher is Zach Merrett Mk2. kicking, play style and battles above his size.
Newspapers won't have an effect on Harley Reid. Kid looked like he was having a field day out there.
Nick Watson is more Weasley wizard.....i kid. rd1. but couldn't resist.

Teams
It's still early, but i have my doubts on the Saints and Blues as contenders.

Hated:
Zach Reid and Gibcus injuries suck.
OMac equally. may not be a kid, but he's done the journeyman thing
MRO took one week to treat everyone as mugs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cherry picking stats? Over the last five years 3 of the top 5 clubs for free kick differential were Interstate clubs

Interstate clubs, ........ oh you mean non Victorian.

You do know Victoria has interstate clubs.

Liked: Caleb Serong. Genuine A grader now.
Learned: Injuries are the worst part of our game. Gutted for Cox and Allen.
Hates: Endless mind-numbing pointless score reviews.

Liked, Ivan Soldo, huge upgrade to our ruck division that has been sorely missing. Love his passion and intensity.

Learnt, now boundary umpires cant do their jobs properly. Play from out of bounds resulting in a goal. Short throw ins that needed recalling. AFL still not taking umpiring standards seriously.

Hated, bloody hot yesterday. Not sure if I was at the cricket or a football match. Also our inaccuracy in front of goal is still present. Should have been a huge percentage booster.
I guess math isn't your strong suit?

Even West Coast had a huge percentage boost on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back