Opinion AFL 2024 Round 1 - Liked, Learnt, Hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked - Can't go past the Swans win on Friday night. Best possible start to 2024 now and hopefully there are some exciting times ahead. Great to see some big crowd numbers over the weekend too.

Learnt - There's been a clear trend from the better performing teams in the opening round/s to move the ball with speed. It's going to lead to some pretty entertaining footy this year.

Hated - Was going to say nothing, I enjoyed the round and was just glad to have the footy back in full swing. But those injuries in the Freo-Brisbane game were horrible to see.

Liked: Swans performance on Friday night. Champagne football.

Learned: Young teams that have a down year after a good year, should not be written off. Swans and Dockers case in point. Also, something's wrong at the Dogs beyond their list.

Hated: Injuries. They all suck. Really sick for Oscar McDonald.

Hated: Caleb Serong's game was only rated 5 Supercoach points better than Luke Ryan's...

Liked: Great to have a full weekend of footy. Pies losing.

Learnt: You only have to drop off by 1 or 2% and you will come back to the field in a hurry as the Pies and Lions have found out.

Hated: Cats wearing white shorts in home games, Ross Lyon negative football returns.

Liked a Dockers win, especially after a slow start against a good side. Did it tough with three players out for a while. Hated to see them go down.

Learnt, there is no form. Blues supporters were ready to lynch Vossy about round 8 last year. It is a long season.

Hated seeing long term injuries in round 1.

Liked: Great to have a full weekend of footy. Pies losing.

Learnt: You only have to drop off by 1 or 2% and you will come back to the field in a hurry as the Pies and Lions have found out.

Hated: Cats wearing white shorts in home games, Ross Lyon negative football returns.
No one escapes Ross Lyon and his tactics LoL

Liked: Ollie Dempsey showing the world what we know - another rookie with barely any footy background plucked from obscurity, looks like he's going to be a star!

Learnt: There are no gimmes this year. This is the year of even football, and someone unexpected could pinch the flag

Hated: Coaches continually trying to be too cute and shuffling the magnets continuously. Bevo, I'm looking at you...how the hell did a star like Daniel start as your sub, and a star kid like Sanders get subbed off, while Lachie freakin' McNeill played a full 4 quarters. Absolutely nuts mentality - and he's not the only one

So seriously, Port Adelaide should be sitting on top of the ladder as match win % is the same as GWS, but higher percentage. IT shouldn't be based on total points.

St Kilda for mine are a team I cannot trust. I wouldn't back them in for any game.
West Coast will struggle like hell again. Hawks and Crows will be bottom 4.

Hated: Caleb Serong's game was only rated 5 Supercoach points better than Luke Ryan's...
I took the risk instead of keeping Daicos' Score. Should have used Butters at least, or Tom Green.

EDIT: LOL, Serong actually got 170 and not 85. Jackpot

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Oliver, Heeney, Amiss
Learnt: 10 teams can win the flag
Hated: "Geelong by half a head over Saints. Correct weight Corio".

Liked - The Swans are legit and will only continue to get better with the guys to return. People didn't have them top 4 and i was genuinely surprised after the injury run they had in 2023. GWS will be top 4 as well, that game style holds up.

Learnt - That we are going to have a lot of momentum swinging games where both teams will bang on consecutive goals and we will judge the games based on the team that can stop the momentum best and hold on. Eg. Gold Coast getting a positive view for holding on even through these goal fest patches happening twice, Lions negative for 2 consecutive weeks blowing leads and allowing 8 goal runs.

Hated - Injuries...seriously FFS

Liked: Pies and Lions going 0-2 opens the season up very early.

Learnt: once again inaccuracies infront of goal is a joke.....Hawthorn.

Hated: Injuries and loosing to Essendon...

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Liked: Kangas. Maximum effort. Good young kids.

Learnt: Giants can now win the ones we’re expected to. Under previous management that is the game we would more often than not lose.

Hated: Umpires have been given a clear mandate to stifle us as much as possible. Not even attempting to hide it these days.

2 x 30+ point wins in 2 weeks and already we’re at -12 free kicks. The AFL has a clear agenda against us and have instructed the umpires to try and keep us out of the contest. It will cost us this year just as it did in 2016 and 2023.

Liked: Kangas. Maximum effort. Good young kids.

Learnt: Giants can now win the ones we’re expected to. Under previous management that is the game we would more often than not lose.

Hated: Umpires have been given a clear mandate to stifle us as much as possible. Not even attempting to hide it these days.

2 x 30+ point wins in 2 weeks and already we’re at -12 free kicks. The AFL has a clear agenda against us and have instructed the umpires to try and keep us out of the contest. It will cost us this year just as it did in 2016 and 2023.

Yes im sure after pumping all that money into an expansion team into a non-AFL area the biggest thing on the AFL’s mind is to stop them succeeding at all costs

Yes im sure after pumping all that money into an expansion team into a non-AFL area the biggest thing on the AFL’s mind is to stop them succeeding at all costs
Yes because they want to appear like they want us to succeed but they only want the VFL teams to actually win it.

6 of the top 8 for free kicks last year; Victorian.

Port Adelaide who finished in third spot on the ladder; stone motherless last on the free kick differential.

It’s a problem you’ll never have to face. But it is a problem others have to face.

Liked, Ivan Soldo, huge upgrade to our ruck division that has been sorely missing. Love his passion and intensity.

Learnt, now boundary umpires cant do their jobs properly. Play from out of bounds resulting in a goal. Short throw ins that needed recalling. AFL still not taking umpiring standards seriously.

Hated, bloody hot yesterday. Not sure if I was at the cricket or a football match. Also our inaccuracy in front of goal is still present. Should have been a huge percentage booster.

Liked - that Dockers performance. They were stinking it up last year so it's nice to see them up and about.

Learnt - that claiming the 4 points is the only thing that matters at this stage of the year. I wasn't happy with the way we played against the Tigers, but I'll take an ugly win every day of the week.

Hated - the amount of injuries I saw. It felt like the most I'd ever seen in a single round. Grim stuff.

Yes because they want to appear like they want us to succeed but they only want the VFL teams to actually win it.

6 of the top 8 for free kicks last year; Victorian.

Port Adelaide who finished in third spot on the ladder; stone motherless last on the free kick differential.

It’s a problem you’ll never have to face. But it is a problem others have to face.

Never?
Like in 2015 when we were last for frees for, and for free kick differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back