Opinion AFL 2023 Round 13 - Liked, learnt, hated

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked - Hard to go past the game at the MCG this afternoon. Always enjoyable watching two genuine contenders go at it and fighting out a close finish. All supporting a great cause too.

Learnt - It’s not going to be easy for them but the Tigers are still somehow in the hunt to make finals. Did not see that even being a possibility 2 weeks ago.

Hated - Seeing what the Eagles have been reduced to. I’ve had a lot of respect for that club ever since we forged a rivalry with them from 2005 onwards so I’m hoping to see them bounce back as soon as possible. Looks a long road ahead though.

Liked: young Essendon midfield standing up in absence of parish, Shiel and setterfield, picking up the slack from a tagged Merrett. Hobbs, Caldwell, Perkins and Martin all impressive

Tex turning it on. Glorious kick of the ball
A kid to watch too is Jake Soligo. Has this knack to hunt the ball off the deck with super clean hands. Nothing you get a stat for but it's very tidy

Learn: SA footy is alive and well. And the locals don't mind telling me. I like being here when the season is on.

Carlton need a rebuild. Maybe I watched them closer than normal. Maybe I'm still a jaded dons fan and I'm staggered they didn't put up a hint of a fight. That list is ****ed. From poor kicks and general skills/decision making to uninvested conditional commitment.

Hated: Freo losing. I like Freo. Thought they'd found some consistency. Not to be.

Liked: Tigers beating Dockers, Dees beating Pies
Learnt: Melbourne should not be underestimated. Goal kicking aside the best performance I've seen this year. Hawks can trouble almost anyone on their day.
Hated: we've reached a new low, gonna be years more of pain.

Liked- Richmond having a good win on the road. I thought we played some really good footy and I dont think freo played poorly either.

Learnt- Hawks are no easy beats. I know they smashed West Coast and beat the saints, but I feel like beating the lions just proves their their competitiveness. People will blame Brisbane's MCG form, but the Hawks played some genuinely food footy and aren't the easy beats many thought they would be.

Hated- Pickett and Houli news. I wonder how the club will handle the Pickett situation and whether or not he plays in between now and his court date (I'm raying to God that he's not guilty). As for Houli, I'm just glad he's ok and in stable condition.

Liked: Watching Tex turn it back. One of the truer kicks in the game, I said this early in the season when he slotted from 40 off one step, he’s a delight to watch when he’s on.

Learnt: Collingwood can be beaten. It’s not impossible, but it’s the next closest thing. Not sure if that can be achieved by non-Victorian teams unless they’re away from the mcg.

Hated: Freo not being able to get the job done against the tigers. Felt like the tide could turn this year yet seems destined for a 10-12th fade out

Liked: No side is unbeatable this year. Only 3 games separate 4th-14th so a good 2 weeks has you inside the 8th or tumbling out of it.
Learned: Carlton look shot, just a side devoid of any confidence, flow or conviction. Gold Coast are emerging and will beat them.
Hated: North/Hawks in Tasmania, get rid of it or commit to it and play another Vic side there instead of making non Vic sides play in front of 5000 people. The Essendon Bulldogs final in 2021 drew a great crowd, I am sure Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon and Carlton supporters can stomach one week a year playing at Launceston or Hobart every 2 years.

Liked - St Kilda breaking it's SCG hoodoo with a hard earned win against the Swans, Tex's 10 goals against West Coast and the King's Birthday game.

Learnt - Collingwood can be beaten with the right game plan, Melbourne are still one of the flag favourites and Richmond are still a chance to play finals.

Hated - The Butler and Sicily reports for dangerous tackles, just because the players they tackled got hurt it doesn't make those two tackles dangerous.

Liked: today as the round from hell is in the past

Learnt: Collingwood need to now rest up and reset and reload for the rest of the season its a long season.

Hated: the umpireing

Liked - Having the day of for the kings birthday

Learnt - Pies forwardline stinks

Disliked - Cox having a go at Petracca after the siren. The games over and we lost it just makes you look pathetic even if Tracy said something provocative.

Liked: Watching Tex turn it back. One of the truer kicks in the game, I said this early in the season when he slotted from 40 off one step, he’s a delight to watch when he’s on.

Learnt: Collingwood can be beaten. It’s not impossible, but it’s the next closest thing. Not sure if that can be achieved by non-Victorian teams unless they’re away from the mcg.

Hated: Freo not being able to get the job done against the tigers. Felt like the tide could turn this year yet seems destined for a 10-12th fade out
Crows should've beaten them handily, but I wonder if Collingwood just puts a lot of psychological pressure on you, even when it comes to goal kicking.

Crows should've beaten them handily, but I wonder if Collingwood just puts a lot of psychological pressure on you, even when it comes to goal kicking.

Agreed. Knowing what the pies can do in the last has to be in every players head, whether it’s takes about or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liked: Collingwood going into the bye on top of the ladder with plenty of upside.

Learnt: Pat Lipinski is even better than I thought he was. What an impressive return after missing three months of footy.

Hated: Not having anywhere near our best 22 available for the first half of the season. Hopefully that changes after the bye.

Liked: Tex, come back from the racist scandal, overweight, couldn't get a game to now a key to the Crows comeback. Look at him now! Fit as a mallee bull and one of the best kicks in the game!

Learnt: Pies really aren't the best in it atm, they're 'managing' their season like all good contenders should. They were a lil off today against a very good opposition. They'll both be there when the whips are crackin.

Hated: The fact that Butler had to appeal what is normally considered a text book tackle, just part of the whole mess that is HQ tryna mitigate what is future litigation.

Hated. Injuries all year. Danger out with collapsed lung after just coming back from a hammy, Bruhn shoulder AC joint, on top of Guthrie already missing and all 3 of our rucks injured at the same time.

Season looks cooked.

I learned that Mason Cox is a massive knob. I really liked him too, I'm very sad to find out what a dildo he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back