Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 9 - Tigers v Cats Fri May 12th 7:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What happened to the squad mentality that Geelong promotes? We had some players out and didn’t get the biscuits… injuries happen to all clubs. Hopefully next week we can win with injuries in our squad…. It has to happen!
There's a tipping point though.

Are you not familiar with elite sport? This from a member of the supporter base who are so soft they got upset because Richmond fans were really loud in a final one time.

That was a very noisy but very embarrassing minority. Most of us (I like to think) weren't bothered at all. That's footy.

Judging from your comment and dp we live rent free in your mind 🤣

Not at all and honestly never felt that way with Richmond.
You want to know who really does that to us ..... Hawthorn.
Owned us in the 80's and pretty much did so when Geelong were at the peak of their powers.

Richmond always return to becoming irrelevant for decades on end. Flash in the pan.
You will not make finals this season and that will be it for a long time again 😄

Not at all and honestly never felt that way with Richmond.
You want to know who really does that to us ..... Hawthorn.
Owned us in the 80's and pretty much did so when Geelong were at the peak of their powers.

Richmond always return to becoming irrelevant for decades on end. Flash in the pan.
You will not make finals this season and that will be it for a long time again 😄
IMG_8618.jpeg

The better team won on the night. Cats have lost 3 night games at the G from 3 attempts this year…. Some of the youngsters did well enough, yet no match for tigers who got the game on their terms with some opportunistic goals and entries to f50.

Pretty much. We started well but the longer it went the more they got on top. They kicked straight, we didn't (especially early). There's no conspiracy or bad luck in that. The goalposts don't move.

Supporters can bitch and moan all they like about injuries but it happens to all clubs. Richmond had no shortage of youngsters either, just this week they didn't make as many howlers and their veterans all contributed. Strikingly the players that were down for us weren't our kids, they were pretty solid. Less criticism will be directed to Tuohy, Bews, Blicavs, Holmes, Stewart, or O'Connor who were all pretty flat. I think we can be forgiven for not expecting Cotchin to kick 3 either. We also still had Hawkins and Cameron out there, but in contrast to the previous 5 weeks both were nullified. Nathan Broad's a much better defender than he's given credit for.

I thought Martin's last goal was a definite free but again we can't complain - Hawkins has been doing that for years (and I wish he wouldn't). But when umpires started getting slack paying it and a generation of fans think it's ok players are going to keep doing it. Didn't affect the result at all.

Why did Jeremy Cameron keep marking the ball 60 metres out from goal last night? The bloke is a beautiful set shot for goal. He should be timing his leads to mark it closer to goal so he can convert.
Cos Broad wasn't giving him a sniff inside 50.

You seriously trying to claim that Geelongs outs last night remotely resemble those players??
Dangerfield was ahead of both Pendles and De Goey in the coaches votes and on his way to another BOG.

Guthrie was our best midfielder last season in a year we won the premiership.

Thus yes, our two most important midfielders.

Stengle an AA forward. Close top 5 in the league for goal assists. So yes, greater than any of two Collingwood smalls.

Moore is obviously better than De Koning, but structurally it has an identical effect. Take Murphy out instead if you have to be pedantic on this point, even though Kolo plays more of a "Murphy" role.

Dangerfield was ahead of both Pendles and De Goey in the coaches votes and on his way to another BOG.

Guthrie was our best midfielder last season in a year we won the premiership.

Thus yes, our two most important midfielders.

Stengle an AA forward. Close top 5 in the league for goal assists. So yes, greater than any of two Collingwood smalls.

Moore is obviously better than De Koning, but structurally it has an identical effect. Take Murphy out instead if you have to be pedantic on this point, even though Kolo plays more of a "Murphy" role.
Dangerfield the only name mentioned within a sniff of that trio, and he goes missing way more often than Pendles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much. We started well but the longer it went the more they got on top. They kicked straight, we didn't (especially early). There's no conspiracy or bad luck in that. The goalposts don't move.

Supporters can bitch and moan all they like about injuries but it happens to all clubs. Richmond had no shortage of youngsters either, just this week they didn't make as many howlers and their veterans all contributed. Strikingly the players that were down for us weren't our kids, they were pretty solid. Less criticism will be directed to Tuohy, Bews, Blicavs, Holmes, Stewart, or O'Connor who were all pretty flat. I think we can be forgiven for not expecting Cotchin to kick 3 either. We also still had Hawkins and Cameron out there, but in contrast to the previous 5 weeks both were nullified. Nathan Broad's a much better defender than he's given credit for.

I thought Martin's last goal was a definite free but again we can't complain - Hawkins has been doing that for years (and I wish he wouldn't). But when umpires started getting slack paying it and a generation of fans think it's ok players are going to keep doing it. Didn't affect the result at all.
Good post. I am waiting to watch the repay sober so I can analyse the game properly. But looking at the stats this morning I was surprised to see that Geelong won the clearances by a significant margin. The narrative before the game was that the Cat's midfield full of kids would be pantsed by the Tigers veteran midfield but their superior forward line would keep them in the game. Geelong converted that stoppage dominance into only a slight win in inside 50s (by one!) and had 23 scoring shots to the Tigers' 22.

Dangerfield the only name mentioned within a sniff of that trio, and he goes missing way more often than Pendles.

Structurally, I reckon losing Cameron forced you to play blokes out of position.
He may not be a star but he's one of the best endurance rucks in the game.

His inclusion will alter the dynamics of both the forward and backline as Moore gets some help while Cox remains forward more minutes.

Structurally, I reckon losing Cameron forced you to play blokes out of position.
He may not be a star but he's one of the best endurance rucks in the game.

His inclusion will alter the dynamics of both the forward and backline as Moore gets some help while Cox remains forward more minutes.
i agree. a very important player and a great last quarter ruckman.

Fair enough, 8 of our premiership players including captain are about equal to your ruckman and 2 role player talls (take your pick) + Lipinski.

Obviously nowhere near the class of the top liners that couldn't beat Sydney last year when it mattered.

Cameron is important. Lipinkski would be a good addition. McStay is no better than Miocheck. Howe would be useful like J.Henry for us. So 3 useful changes. Geelong require 8. It's not even close to the same thing.

Fair enough, 8 of our premiership players including captain are about equal to your ruckman and 2 role player talls (take your pick) + Lipinski.

Obviously nowhere near the class of the top liners that couldn't beat Sydney last year when it mattered.

Cameron is important. Lipinkski would be a good addition. McStay is no better than Miocheck. Howe would be useful like J.Henry for us. So 3 useful changes. Geelong require 8. It's not even close to the same thing.
And Bowes who has played every game this year and was proving to be a handy addition! So 9 out- but wasn’t a factor- so all good!

Last edited:
Ryan is 6ft'9 and played ruck since debut. He's the prototypical ruck/forward.

Frampton, McStay, De Koning are not rucks.

And what has that got to do with us missing Soldo and Nankervis?
Ryan progressing well but has a long way to do, and was recruited as a forward.

Last edited:
Back