Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Walyalup (Freo) v Pies Fri May 24th 6:10pm WST/8:10pm AEST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That wasn't paid for time wasting.

The is no clear rule that you have to hand the ball directly to an umpire at a stoppage.

Jon Ralph doesnt know what he is talking about.
It can be time wasting without the clock being on it’s so that you are not delaying to allow defenders to get back or set up, especially deep in your defensive half that extra 2 seconds can be the difference between a loose man at a ball up or not.

Freo supporters trying to justify a massive error tonight but couldn’t fathom an umpire not seeing the ball bounce off a hair follicle with 30 players around the ball against Carlton.

Luck goes around and comes around in this league. Just try and be consistent, you all look like fools otherwise 😂

Luck goes around and comes around in this league. Just try and be consistent, you all look like fools otherwise 😂
That's just it though, that time wasting rule is inconsistent and a bit ambiguous just like so many other rules in this game that are paid or not paid. Make it a clear cut ruling with no grey area so it can be paid more consistently.

It can be time wasting without the clock being on it’s so that you are not delaying to allow defenders to get back or set up, especially deep in your defensive half that extra 2 seconds can be the difference between a loose man at a ball up or not.
Application of this rule won Melbourne a flag.

To be honest the most contentious decision I thought was the too high which led to the tying behind play.

Was an entertaining game of football. Annoying that with the opportunities Collingwood had they couldn’t snare the 4 points still that’s sport

Just out of curiosity - under what circumstances could a time wasting free kick be paid in the AFL then given that the clock stops?

Would it be OK at a ball up for a player to kick the ball into the stands instead of giving it to an umpire?

I think the only highly acceptable time for it to be paid is when a team gets a free and other team kicks it away ignoring multiple whistles, and then the 50 is paid.

I’d argue kicking the ball in the stands is very different to handing the ball to another player who is less than a metre away from them. I would assume that the free probably wouldn’t have been paid in todays situation but was as the ump seemed upset at how Sidebottom left the ball on the ground for him to pick up himself only minutes earlier.

Application of this rule won Melbourne a flag.

To be honest the most contentious decision I thought was the too high which led to the tying behind play.

Was an entertaining game of football. Annoying that with the opportunities Collingwood had they couldn’t snare the 4 points still that’s sport

The most contentious decision was Quaynor clearly touching the ball which the umps didn’t call leading to a Freo goal, and then getting a tick of approval from the score review system when there is footage that it was clearly touched.

The audio clearly has Nicholls repeatedly say he penalised the player for not directly returning the ball to him.

There was no mention of time wasting.

Have no problem if a player was penalised for time wasting, but that clearly didnt occur here as the ball was with Nicholls before he has even stopped running to the contest.

Would love to be pointed to which rule specifically states that a player has to directly give the ball back to an umpire, that if it is returned via a team mate if is a free kick.

Im
Not having a whinge about umpires at all and in fact pies should have won, but if that is the way you want the game to be umpired than the games in great trouble.
Have to agree - didn’t like the way they let the pies throw the ball to each other multiple times, lay tackles before players get the ball, get an armchair ride for 90% of the game.

The most contentious decision was Quaynor clearly touching the ball which the umps didn’t call leading to a Freo goal, and then getting a tick of approval from the score review system when there is footage that it was clearly touched.

The touch the Quaynor himself said wasn’t a touch after the game? I was at the game, and it wasn’t a convincing appeal just sort of the token one all defenders do when they get near it. Props to him for admitting he didn’t touch if afterwards.

The touch the Quaynor himself said wasn’t a touch after the game? I was at the game, and it wasn’t a convincing appeal just sort of the token one all defenders do when they get near it. Props to him for admitting he didn’t touch if afterwards.

It’s interesting how Quaynor says one thing about it, and the footage played showed another.

No idea how a finger bends other than when contact is made with the ball as is clearly seen by the footage. Armchair Experts were confused at it as well. So is Quaynor a magician that he can manipulate his hand to make it seem like he touched the ball or what?

I am sure i saw Sidebottom put the ball on the ground and run into position as the umpire was still running in.
No free kick. A weird rule but glad it happened to the Magpies as at least now we all no this rule exists and all players will take note.
Na it was a freo player who had the ball imo. I think it came out of his hands at the same time that Sidebottom got up. I think the ump thought that Sidebottom dropped it.

If this was a Carlton game the whole media narrative would have been how a dominant team choked and gave up a late 25 point lead in the game and describing every single mistake in detail and how bad the players, coaching staff and fans are and why they should be ashamed.

But this is Collingwood and all we get is shrugs.
Crazy whinge in a non-Carlton game. Collingwood have been criticised, the victim complex stuff is a little much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Fremantle got absolutely nothing from their forwards today other than banfield it was a great effort. I don’t get the Fyfe criticism he still provides great contest and clean hands along with tackling pressure, I’d love him in our midfield. Oh yeah and I’d also like J Clark back as well 😂.

Considering Fremantle got absolutely nothing from their forwards today other than banfield it was a great effort. I don’t get the Fyfe criticism he still provides great contest and clean hands along with tackling pressure, I’d love him in our midfield. Oh yeah and I’d also like J Clark back as well 😂.
You ain't getting Jordan Clark back. 35 disposals tonight

You should be more concerned about your team and it’s cavalcade of mediocre turnips who consistently let you down with their pathetic attempts at hardness and ruthlessness at the ball.

You know who those players are..and if you don’t acknowledge them ..then you are completely delusional and living in Wonka land.
Bahahaha and you really shouldn’t be so concerned , sorry make that hurt 😢 about a team in a game your own team isn’t playing

I’ll concede one thing tho if there’s a supporter base that can identify mediocre turnips trying to be hard(Essendon edge!!🤣) it’d be bomber supporters!

Again.... Your post is flawed. Freo vs magpies game in WA, yet Stevic is a Victorian umpire. Is there any WA umpires tonight?
No your post is flawed. Victorian umpires support a specific Victorian team. They rate other states teams above most Victorian teams. Trust me I'm Victorian and I know how we think.

Nah. I tipped Freo to make the top 6 in pre season and I tipped them to get within a goal of Carlton a few weeks ago (probably overestimating) so I do have plenty of faith in them.

They were shithouse tonight and deserve criticism. If you don't like hearing that head to the Dockers board. I'm allowed to discuss my second team if I want.
Dockers scored 11.9.75 magpies scored 10.15.75.

In a draw like this... I usually favour the side with the more scoring shots.

Collingwood could of kicked 15.10.100 or 14.11.95 and it would of been a typical 4-6 goal win.

I think Hayden Young could be a top afl player in the next few years he is so clean and damaging, It’s a bit over the top but I see James Hird traits in him.

VllarClarke Considering Fremantle got absolutely nothing from their forwards today other than banfield it was a great effort. I don’t get the Fyfe criticism he still provides great contest and clean hands along with tackling pressure, I’d love him in our midfield. Oh yeah and I’d also like J Clark back as well 😂.
Clarke just keeps getting better.
Fyfe not so much 🥰

Back