Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 9 - Cats v Port Fri May 10th 7:10pm AEST (GMHBA)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Port by a goal or less

• Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't help playing Stanley who is absolutely hopeless (couldn't play Conway who missed with hip flexor soreness) and not having Danger and Bruhn.
Those two are probably our best attacking mids.
Stanley has been insipid the last few games he's played, agreed.

Danger and Bruhn will help but I think Sydney and GWS's midfield strength will be a step up from Port again.

Kenny has the power to win, he's allowed to celebrate breaking a losing streak at GMHBA!
images

Fun fact: Two teams beat Geelong at home in 2007, and Geelong went on to beat them both by 100+ points in the finals.

Another fun fact: Last time Geelong lost to Port here, Geelongs losing score was the same as Ports winning score tonight and the final margin was just 1 point away (101-106). It was also a game where Geelong came from behind.

A. Remember when Hawkins signed on for another season and a lot of Geelong fans got emotional and happy and were saying things like (or similar to) "He'll get to 40p games" "He'll kick 900 goals" etc etc.

B. As you said, Riewoldt kicked 32 goals in his final season (2023), that's still a pretty good contribution for a player in his final season at AFL level. Also, Riewoldt knew when to retire and he did so at the right time.

Literally don’t think any cats fans said either of those things 😂

Midfields been getting smashed all year even when they were in there. If you had prime danger playing in there he'd probably make up the difference but he's a long way from those levels.

So what is it exactly you think we are SOOOO bad at?

Early in the game your argument was that we couldn’t win contested possessions but we won them.

We lost clearances - who cares unless you’re David King - by 9. Again, what does it matter. It’s 2 per quarter and it’s nett effect is that we had more inside 50s than Port.

Without our two best midfielders.

So what is your actual argument?

Does the scoreboard have possessions and clearances and contested possessions all tallied up or not?

We lost because we didn’t kick enough points mate. We started the game by not turning up and spent the next 90 minutes trying to claw our way back into it: same as you’ve spent the last fortnight trying to claw your way back from the four competition points you missed out on when you played us.

And the thing we have in common?

Neither of us are going to get them back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think the Cats can win the flag with their current midfield set up. Destroyed around stoppage again and are really only scoring off slingshot footy which notoriously dries up in finals as defenses are tighter and the pressure is greater.

Port missing Rozee too.
Yep too reliant on fit danger, and that’s not something you wanna rely on these days.

Don't think the Cats can win the flag with their current midfield set up. Destroyed around stoppage again and are really only scoring off slingshot footy which notoriously dries up in finals as defenses are tighter and the pressure is greater.

Port missing Rozee too.

The premiership is in the bag for Geelong, the last 2 weeks are just small blips on the premiership radar. Geelong will 100% absolutely win the 2024 premiership.

So what is it exactly you think we are SOOOO bad at?

Early in the game your argument was that we couldn’t win contested possessions but we won them.

We lost clearances - who cares unless you’re David King - by 9. Again, what does it matter. It’s 2 per quarter and it’s nett effect is that we had more inside 50s than Port.

Without our two best midfielders.

So what is your actual argument?

Does the scoreboard have possessions and clearances and contested possessions all tallied up or not?

We lost because we didn’t kick enough points mate. We started the game by not turning up and spent the next 90 minutes trying to claw our way back into it: same as you’ve spent the last fortnight trying to claw your way back from the four competition points you missed out on when you played us.

And the thing we have in common?

Neither of us are going to get them back.
If u think Jhye Clark and Tanner Bruhn, a cooked Cam Guthrie, a 34 year old Dangerfield who's injured every 2nd week and Tom Atkins is going to take you all the way then good luck to ya.

Ports mids without arguably their best player in Rozee absolutely trounced the Cats out of the centre early on and that was realistically the difference in the game. He's a bigger out than Dangerfield or Bruhn and I wouldn't even have Port in the top 4 midfields in the comp.

My opinion is ur playing a fraudulent game style that is almost entirely reliant on slingshot footy and that it won't hold up come finals. Less space and higher pressure, I just don't see champagne football making up for such regular floggings in the middle.

If u think Jhye Clark and Tanner Bruhn, a cooked Cam Guthrie, a 34 year old Dangerfield who's injured every 2nd week and Tom Atkins is going to take you all the way then good luck to ya.

Ports mids without arguably their best player in Rozee absolutely trounced the Cats out of the centre early on and that was realistically the difference in the game. He's a bigger out than Dangerfield or Bruhn and I wouldn't even have Port in the top 4 midfields in the comp.

My opinion is ur playing a fraudulent game style that is almost entirely reliant on slingshot footy and that it won't hold up come finals. Less space and higher pressure, I just don't see champagne football making up for such regular floggings in the middle.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable what you are saying, geelong does rely on more from the midfield which did come later in the game. I think Danger and Bruhn are as important to Geelong as Rozee is to port, not that they are better but they are needed as it’s a line we struggle on. Give it a month and you could be proved right, I suspect it won’t be as bad as you make it out.

And if you think winning by a point or two every week or just losing is going to win take you ‘all the way’

My opinion is you’re still fisting yourself over losing a game of football two weeks ago and as a grown adult haven’t managed to deal with it and at some point you probably should

Chris Scott spent 5min speaking about umpires in his presser, I knew it'd be good when I saw it was 14min long.

And if you think winning by a point or two every week or just losing is going to win take you ‘all the way’

My opinion is you’re still fisting yourself over losing a game of football two weeks ago and as a grown adult haven’t managed to deal with it and at some point you probably should
Lmao, I've said in many threads already I don't think the Blues are much chance for the flag this year. Still have a few deficiencies to fix up on our list and some kinks in our method that need addressing. We might pull off a miracle and get teams at the right times but I think we're a wrung below the best.

Anyway you can take it any way you want, I just can't see you matching it with GWS, Sydney or Melbourne come finals if u come up against them given their ability to dominate around the ball. If u think that's because I'm salty over a game a few weeks ago then good for u.

Chris Scott spent 5min speaking about umpires in his presser, I knew it'd be good when I saw it was 14min long.
I listened to it. It was highly narcissistic like usual but slightly better than last week. I'm studying body language at the moment and I notice that every time he compliments port Adelaide in the slightest he uses what we call self-soothing body language called 'adaptors' like wiping his hands on his knees and clasping at his elbows. Typical narcissistic stuff. He legitimately finds it difficult to compliment the opposition.

I listened to it. It was highly narcissistic like usual but slightly better than last week. I'm studying body language at the moment and I notice that every time he compliments port Adelaide in the slightest he uses what we call self-soothing body language called 'adaptors' like wiping his hands on his knees and clasping at his elbows. Typical narcissistic stuff. He legitimately finds it difficult to compliment the opposition.
Always has. His coaches votes are a reflection of that too.

Back