Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 11 - Walyalup (Freo) v Pies Fri May 24th 6:10pm WST/8:10pm AEST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevic is pro Victorian or a hawks fan. He helped the hawks win the 2013-5 flags
Hawthorn being the best team at the MCG won them those flags. They also played 2 WA teams that only made GFs because of how good they were in Perth. As for 2014 that just goes to show how overrated the Tippett and Buddy combo was and how lucky Sydney were to make the GF. Sydney were the team they were because of their midfield and defence that made them hard to score against.

The weird thing for me is that a player as good as Buddy was could end up leaving 2 clubs and make them better the following year because of it. The problem when you're that good is that you tend to draw the ball at the expense of teammates in better positions. Now that Buddy isn't there, we're seeing Sydney forced to kick to the best option a lot more. The same thing happened to Hawthorn.

Look, everyone knows Nicholls is a complete *******. So is Stevic.

I don’t know why people rag on Razor Ray - he is a show pony but he’s probably the best actual umpire in the league.
People bag Razor Ray because he's such a show pony his mistakes stand out more. He's a show pony that gives out advice like chocolates at Easter. There's nothing wrong with that until you start making mistakes and incorrect decisions. It makes you look like an arrogant tool and your mistakes are going to get highlighted more as people try to "put you in your place."

I’ll tell you what worries me about our game at the moment people actually saying that that was a free kick. heck our game is turning to s**t very quickly and if people haven’t started turning their tvs off they will be very shortly
Amiss getting slightly scragged 100m up the field, retaliating and it resulting in a shot at goal to Collingwood I thought was more ridiculous.

How many players in local leagues are playing hot potato with the footy among team mates for a stoppage rather than handing it straight to the ump? It's a fairly easy thing to correct, just like returning the ball straight to a player when they receive a free kick.

If not handing the ball back directly to an umpire is a free kick in the guise of 'time wasting', which I highly doubt as noone has yet shared the specific rule, what about this scenario?

A player has the ball on the ground in a pack when a ball up is called. A teammate of the player with the ball on the ground grabs the ball and hands it to the umpire, in an attempt to get it to the umpire quicker than the original player otherwise would have?

If not handing the ball back directly to an umpire is a free kick in the guise of 'time wasting', which I highly doubt as noone has yet shared the specific rule, what about this scenario?

A player has the ball on the ground in a pack when a ball up is called. A teammate of the player with the ball on the ground grabs the ball and hands it to the umpire, in an attempt to get it to the umpire quicker than the original player otherwise would have?
So you’re asking for a comparison between an act that assists an umpire, vs an act that hinders an umpire?

So you’re asking for a comparison between an act that assists an umpire, vs an act that hinders an umpire?
Yes. When the free kick was paid because the player with the ball didn't had it back directly to the umpire.

If that's the rule, surely another teammate can't grab the ball from another player to give it to the umpire, right?

How many times a week do you watch a match and a player with the ball runs out of bounds and then just drops the footy on the ground for the boundary umpire to throw in? Apparently all those were free kicks to the opposition.
No. The rule for that scenario is you must either drop it on the ground immediately or give it to the boundary umpire immediately.

No. The rule for that scenario is you must either drop it on the ground immediately or give it to the boundary umpire immediately.
Oh.

So it's OK to drop the ball on the ground so as the umpire then has to pick it up themselves (which takes about 3 seconds to do), but not to hand it to the umpire via a teammate (which took about 1.5 seconds in the instance last night)?

Makes sense to me...

I LOVE that this free kick was paid. I'm an absolute crusader for removing these time wasting tactics from the game to speed it up and increase scoring. Dude had ZERO reason to give the ball to Daicos. None. Zip. There's no reason to be confused.

I can promise you that that guy will never do that again. Bang, rule was effective.

Keep it up umps, make the players adapt. Give the ball straight back, keep the play flowing, don't give a team a chance to set up defensively through sneaky time wasting techniques.

Hope it expands to marks/free kicks, no more lying on the ball, no more grabbing at a player, no more pointing at the player.

Love this.
I don't disagree that these shitty little tactics ruin the game.

What annoys the hell out of me, is why they don't pay Free Kicks every time!

Why do the AFL persist with this idiotic method of 'cracking down' on things all of a sudden?
Just pay it every time and won't become an issue.

But instead they tolerate it and ignore it, until it becomes a scourge. Then they crack down on it or pluck one out randomly to make a point. Then within a month they're ignoring it again and it creeps back in.

Gives me the irrits!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh.

So it's OK to drop the ball on the ground so as the umpire then has to pick it up themselves (which takes about 3 seconds to do), but not to hand it to the umpire via a teammate (which took about 1.5 seconds in the instance last night)?

Makes sense to me...

angry morton salt GIF by Emma Darvick

That player hasn't handed it to his teammate so there's no issue?

What was the go with the commentary silence on pendles arm injury, clearly couldn’t tackle, but no one mentioned anything about it? Is that because his 400 is coming up? It was odd
I noticed this too. There was a play near the end of the 3rd where he uncharacteristically poked his boot at the ball like 3 times in a row (like he was shirking the contest), then took himself off. They barely mentioned that he came back with his whole arm strapped.

I remember on SEN a few days ago, there was a discussion about how "Collingwood are the masters of creating subtle delays at stoppages to give themselves time to flood back and set up again".

Maybe the AFL became aware of this and decided they were going to make an example this week?

Watch the way they hold up players on the mark to give them an extra second or two to flood back when a side is on the break.

They aren’t stupid. I’m glad they were punished (correctly) for it.

Back