Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Na it was a freo player who had the ball imo. I think it came out of his hands at the same time that Sidebottom got up. I think the ump thought that Sidebottom dropped it.
you might be thinking of another incident.
another poster saw the same thing i saw and posted this.

Was contest in middle of the ground between serong and Sidebottom resulting in a ball up
Nicholls called for Sidebottom to give him the ball twice but he just left it on the ground and ran off .
Nicholls was shaking his head

Vicbi
I agree that umpire bleating doesn't belong in this thread. But we all know that that last 5 minutes of umpiring (not just the bizarre one) would be front and centre in this thread if it was a Vic team getting the rub of the green against a non Vic team. As would Port last week with the time on error.
Nonsense. There was no time on error, the umpire called time on like every other set shot, when the player gets the ball back, is back on their line, and the protected zone is cleared. Otherwise he calls time on, then pays 50 for being in the protected zone. Stop listening to Vicbias media clickbait and understand the rules.

And yes, it’s #VICBIAS did you see the media going on about the Hawthorn OOF free kick in the last 2 minutes that came off Burgoynes shoulder? Of course not.
Even this morning, all I hear is the controversial “last minute” free kick which was actually given with the game 6 minutes from full time with a 19 point margin.

Vicbias in the football media is almost worse than the AFL itself. The AFL people have guaranteed salaries can occasionally be fair, whereas the media need their accreditation to keep their jobs and so are slaves to their “non disparagement” clauses.

Vicbi

Nonsense. There was no time on error, the umpire called time on like every other set shot, when the player gets the ball back, is back on their line, and the protected zone is cleared. Otherwise he calls time on, then pays 50 for being in the protected zone. Stop listening to Vicbias media clickbait and understand the rules.

And yes, it’s #VICBIASdid you see the media going on about the Hawthorn OOF free kick in the last 2 minutes that came off Burgoynes shoulder? Of course not.
Even this morning, all I hear is the controversial “last minute” free kick which was actually given with the game 6 minutes from full time with a 19 point margin.

Vicbias in the football media is almost worse than the AFL itself. The AFL people have guaranteed salaries can occasionally be fair, whereas the media need their accreditation to keep their jobs and so are slaves to their “non disparagement” clauses.
The AFL admitted that time on was an umpire error.

Umpires make errors or in Rankines case controversial calls. The ones that are in tight finishes against non Vic teams make it into this thread, the ones that go against vic teams dont usually because well um, there might be a fair bit of bias from the mob yelling vicbias.

No saying I agree or disagree with the free to Darcy, but I can understand why it was paid. If that had gone against us, I would blame our player for not returning the ball to the umpire as I know damned well that is what is expected of the player.
The rule isn’t about returning the ball to the umpire though, it’s about time wasting.

Adelaide were robbed of a chance to win due to a free that never gets paid last week(it didn't even get paid last night and your team scored from it).

Take the good with the bad...
Yes, it was pretty good to see a bit of poetic justice go back Collingwoods way after their fans and media defended last weeks decision that rarely gets paid with an equally rare decision going against them last night.

Let's see that type of free kick get paid everytime the scump doesn't receive the ball when balling up. Come on, Nicholls has set the precedent so be consistent...
Hah, it won't because everyone knows it's bullshit.
Like they set the precedent last week for running too far and let Mcreery run 30m this week.
Yeah, its bullshit, but you know, shit happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see that type of free kick get paid everytime the scump doesn't receive the ball when balling up. Come on, Nicholls has set the precedent so be consistent...
Hah, it won't because everyone knows it's bullshit.
Still waiting for him to pay a free like he did against worpel.
Seen daicos walk through the circle several times without a free.

3 minutes before gifting Fremantle a goal 10m out…

The look on the umpires face says it all... He's annoyed that Sidebottom didn't return the ball, so he's looking to pay one later on.

The AFL makes the rules so technical, no wonder the fans are sick of the umpires. I think someone already posted the video of LDU not returning the ball to the umpire within the first 5 seconds of a game last year and getting penalised. This stuff happens all the time, but only really comes to attention in close matches.

Except, it's not.

At least with 'running too far' there is a specific rule for it.

There are two specific rules that it falls under:

“Fails to follow the instruction of an umpire”.

“Engages in time wasting”

Again, I don’t think the umpire should have paid that free kick. But it is a free kick according to the rules.

Moving forward, if the AFL comes out and says that that will be a free kick every time you don’t return the ball to an umpire, the same way it’s 50 if you don’t give it to the player who has the free kick, I think that would be a good change.

I actually switched the game off after the Bobby Hill mark and then sat down to watch the last 10 minutes this morning to find out what happened. It was interesting to see that at the immediate ball up before the incident, the Collingwood player put the ball on the ground instead of handing it back to the umpire, don't think it was Nicholls. I couldn't be bothered personally, but it would be interesting for someone to go back over the games and see how many times the Collingwood players gave the ball directly back to the umpire for a ball up or throw in, compared to Fremantle players.

It's a harsh lesson to learn, but I'd love to know what Sullivan was thinking, it seemed as though he was even facing Nicholls' direction (so he must have heard the direction that the umpire's voice was coming from) and decided to throw Daicos a 'no look' pass in pretty much the opposite direction, which was possibly the straw that broke the camel's back.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly the incident I noticed and mentioned above, though I got it wrong and it was Nicholls. I'd put my house on it that Sidebottom's actions factored in to the decision.

Although I disagree with the call, it is kind of funny that Sidebottom doing that came back to bite him.

I hate it when players don’t give it to the umpire when it would be so easy to just lob it up to them, it’s such an entitled thing to do. It’s like when the waiter comes to grab your plates and you just continue to have a chat while they have to reach over the table to grab everything, like yeah it’s their job but would it kill you to help them out and just chuck them the ball?

The look on the umpires face says it all... He's annoyed that Sidebottom didn't return the ball, so he's looking to pay one later on.

The AFL makes the rules so technical, no wonder the fans are sick of the umpires. I think someone already posted the video of LDU not returning the ball to the umpire within the first 5 seconds of a game last year and getting penalised. This stuff happens all the time, but only really comes to attention in close matches.
Yep, here's Collingwood getting a free for it

The other way of looking at it though is that sometimes it's worth club's practising what they preach with the "respect for umpires" rhetoric. It can definitely come back to bite you otherwise and this wasn't frustration boiling over, it was just carelessness.

It's a stiff penalty, but I don't really have a problem with it, don't really see much difference to an umpire paying 50 when the opponent fails to make a reasonable effort to give the ball back to the player who's won the free kick.

Although I disagree with the call, it is kind of funny that Sidebottom doing that came back to bite him.

I hate it when players don’t give it to the umpire when it would be so easy to just lob it up to them, it’s such an entitled thing to do. It’s like when the waiter comes to grab your plates and you just continue to have a chat while they have to reach over the table to grab everything, like yeah it’s their job but would it kill you to help them out and just chuck them the ball?

Funnily enough, I heard a story from a person who used to work at Collingwood that they'd had issues with (some) players being a bit high and mighty and lacking basic courtesy and consideration for the 'ordinary' staff members and making their lives/jobs far more difficult than they should have been.

After a 'straw that broke the camel's back' incident for this person with a player, they were finally fed up enough to confront the player and give him a piece of their mind: that because he was too selfish to give up five minutes and perform a basic duty of being an AFL footballer, it had directly impacted this person's ability to perform their job satisfactorily. They hadn't been keen to name names, but yep: it was Steele.

In fairness, they also said it was a positive airing out and that Sidebottom took the criticism on the chin and promised to lift his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back