Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Crows v Port Thurs May 2nd 7:30pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Port by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For the first time, I did notice that Butters does seem to be a bit of 'bang it on your boot' type player.

He's brilliant in tight at stoppages with his hands, but by foot he's very wasteful a lot of the time.

He has a good step and 5 metre pace but he's not actually fast imo. When he holds onto it he gets himself in trouble. Even Tex ran him down.

Port fans praising Ken ?
PA fans heap praise in funny ways.
Sack Ken.
Sack the peaheart players.
Sack the administrators.
Sack the members who didn’t turn up.
Sack the ground manager.

Something like that.

Considering Adelaide won more clearances and had more inside 50's that probably suggests some more Adelaide shots at goal were on offer once the ball got back to the middle.
What are you talking about? Check the stats again. Port had 10 more inside 50's and 10 more clearances, Port really wasted their chances and were inefficient.

I don't get mainstream media, why are they all backing Ken?

It is strange. The commentators said it was "brave" for him to come out and cop full blame straight after the press conference . What a load of crap. He's an idiot for making the mistake. He should cop criticism for it.

"5 more scoring shots" is an inflated stat. What people overlook is that doesn't mean 5 pure shots at goal they missed after effort getting it there from the middle. Some of those points are butchered attempts and it then stays in their forward half for a decent chance of another go at goal.

If they kick one of those as a goal it goes back to the middle and changes the course of the game then who knows what happens.

Considering Adelaide won more clearances and had more inside 50's that probably suggests some more Adelaide shots at goal were on offer once the ball got back to the middle.
Port had 10 more inside 50s for the game. They dominated the first QTR in this stat.

The Port forward line is not functioning. Marshall looks out of confidence. It's not through injury or absence of their top line personnel (apart from SPP). They have their go to players on the park, they just aren't firing.

Surprisingly, Dixon is their leading goal scorer. I say surprisingly because he is starting to look slower and Marshall should really be taking the step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? Check the stats again. Port had 10 more inside 50's and 10 more clearances, Port really wasted their chances and were inefficient.
Port has the highest expected score differential in the league this season.

They are underperforming their expected score the 3rd most in the league, behind only Hawthorn and Brisbane.

Their forwards failing to convert chances is derailing what would otherwise be a spectacular start to the season.

It's fine to put this on Kenny but this is the story: dominance everywhere but the scoreboard. This isn't just territorial advantage. The quality chances they create consistently amounts to more than the opposition.

Port has the highest expected score differential in the league this season.

They are underperforming their expected score the 3rd most in the league, behind only Hawthorn and Brisbane.

Their forwards failing to convert chances is derailing what would otherwise be a spectacular start to the season.

It's fine to put this on Kenny but this is the story: dominance everywhere but the scoreboard. This isn't just territorial advantage. The quality chances they create consistently amounts to more than the opposition.
This is purely speculative but I wonder if the lack of conversation from good opportunity is also making players second guess their usage??

I was surprised by the passage of play right at the end of the 3rd QTR when Rozee emerged with the footy about 40m out, did what does best by creating immediate space to the point where he has no opposition near him and instead of turning to goal for a shot with seconds to go he kind of awkwardly went side ways and eventually backwards giving off the ball to someone outside the 50 I believe and then the siren went.

The whole passage looked un-Connor Rozee like.

On another note, Georgiades is a very good player. A very handy forward. I hope he isn't gone to injury. I do believe the Power have another young, big guy who isn't playing in the starting 22 I think because of injury who showed some good signs last year. Can't remember his name it might be Viscenti or something like that.

This is purely speculative but I wonder if the lack of conversation from good opportunity is also making players second guess their usage??

I was surprised by the passage of play right at the end of the 3rd QTR when Rozee emerged with the footy about 40m out, did what does best by creating immediate space to the point where he has no opposition near him and instead of turning to goal for a shot with seconds to go he kind of awkwardly went side ways and eventually backwards giving off the ball to someone outside the 50 I believe and then the siren went.

The whole passage looked un-Connor Rozee like.

On another note, Georgiades is a very good player. A very handy forward. I hope he isn't gone to injury. I do believe the Power have another young, big guy who isn't playing in the starting 22 I think because of injury who showed some good signs last year. Can't remember his name it might be Viscenti or something like that.
Agreed, the confidence issues are hitting them hard and it's manifesting mostly when they are within range with gettable shots.

But they could also just desperately do with another forward with composure on the run (a Stengle type) plus an elite set shot KPF (Wright type?). If they could clone Houston, one of him at half forward would help.

O.Lord is the player you're thinking of and they really could do with him right now. Marshall needs to sort himself out and they have to change their forward coach.

Agreed, the confidence issues are hitting them hard and it's manifesting mostly when they are within range with gettable shots.

But they could also just desperately do with another forward with composure on the run (a Stengle type) plus an elite set shot KPF (Wright type?). If they could clone Houston, one of him at half forward would help.

O.Lord is the player you're thinking of and they really could do with him right now. Marshall needs to sort himself out and they have to change their forward coach.
Yes to all of that, and thanks for the correction.

Houston is such a gun. Imagine having two of him in your side. One of my favourite players. I was a little bummed when he was one of the guys Rankine ran away from at the end of the game to kick that nice goal from 50.

Back