Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins pushing players in the back and not getting pinged for it?

I'm shocked

No forwards do it. Just him. He is the only tall forward who has defenders play in front, edge backwards, and in turn he raises his hands and pushes them. He’s the only one. No one else. Which as I understand he’s allowed to do under the rule anyway if his opponent is moving backwards so why everyone gets this pissed off about it is anyone’s guess

I have no idea what your bottom two paragraphs mean, certainly not points I have made.
You cannot accept that poor old Tom Hawkins has been beaten by Steven May and to go further,
Jacob Weitering and Sam Taylor. You also cannot accept that he has a history of doing things that other supporter bases would deem as grub acts.

And you don’t seem to get that he’s beaten him in return and that overall he’s got a perfectly fine record against him.

I’ve just told you that he’s been suspended multiple times.

Again, at any stage are you going to argue a point someone has actually made?

No forwards do it. Just him. He is the only tall forward who has defenders play in front, edge backwards, and in turn he raises his hands and pushes them. He’s the only one. No one else. Which as I understand he’s allowed to do under the rule anyway if his opponent is moving backwards so why everyone gets this pissed off about it is anyone’s guess
He deadset shoves players in the back all day long. How can you not accept that it is against the rules

Mate come on... Even the most one eyed Cats fans know Hawkins shoves blokes in the back more than just about anyone in the league. Every week, every game, consistently over his entire career. It's practically his signature move.

It's like Blues fans denying that Charlie gets a lot of frees... Difference is Hawkins is in clear violation of the rules and almost never gets pinged for it.

He deadset shoves players in the back all day long. How can you not accept that it is against the rules

Because if a player goes back at all, that is also against the rules. It’s front on contact. So the guy at the back is allowed to hold his ground with his arms and hands. What are you going to do, give them both a free kick? Or say to the bloke in front well you made front on contact that his opponent is allowed to hold him off with his hands and keep him off.

And you don’t seem to get that he’s beaten him in return and that overall he’s got a perfectly fine record against him.

I’ve just told you that he’s been suspended multiple times.

Again, at any stage are you going to argue a point someone has actually made?
Suspended for punching people in the face, well done mate.
When you accept that he shoves people in back we can chat about your other points.

Because if a player goes back at all, that is also against the rules. It’s front on contact. So the guy at the back is allowed to hold his ground with his arms and hands. What are you going to do, give them both a free kick? Or say to the bloke in front well you made front on contact that his opponent is allowed to hold him off with his hands and keep him off.
The rules of afl. You. Cannot. Push. A. Person. With. Two. Hands. In. The. Back.

Unless of course, you are Tom Hawkins

Mate come on... Even the most one eyed Cats fans know Hawkins shoves blokes in the back more than just about anyone in the league. Every week, every game, consistently over his entire career. It's practically his signature move.

It's like Blues fans denying that Charlie gets a lot of frees... Difference is Hawkins is in clear violation of the rules and almost never gets pinged for it.

Of course he does it. He’s also the strongest player in the comp, arguably, and almost invariably when any opponent plays in front of him they almost have to infringe to give themselves a chance to compete, he puts the arms up, pushes them off, and the umpire either has to give a free to one or the other if there’s no mark taken.

The rules of afl. You. Cannot. Push. A. Person. With. Two. Hands. In. The. Back.

Unless of course, you are Tom Hawkins

You cannot make front on contact with someone in a marking contest either. But most of the people he ends up doing that to are making front on contact with him. So what, again, are you going to give them both free kicks, or neither of them free kicks.

You cannot make front on contact with someone in a marking contest either. But most of the people he ends up doing that to are making front on contact with him. So what, again, are you going to give them both free kicks, or neither of them free kicks.
This is quite possibly the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard.
So any defender that takes front position is illegally making front on contact?
They are in front of Hawkins, and looking at the ball. That is not front on contact. How can you possibly argue that.

Whats the obsession with Tom Hawkins, you seriously think he is the difference between us winning and losing?

You think Clarry has never played for a free during his career?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats the obsession with Tom Hawkins, you seriously think he is the difference between us winning and losing?

Discussion is about a particular cats poster who cannot accept that Hawkins never gets pinged for pushes in the back.
Clayton has played for frees and we on Demonland we have been particularly critical of him for doing so.
There is a difference between playing for free kicks and the rules being bent because you are a future hall of fame inductee.

Hawkins is so out of form that Toby Pink would probably contain him anyway. We are relying on the rest of the forward line to get the job done.

This is quite possibly the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard.
So any defender that takes front position is illegally making front on contact?
They are in front of Hawkins, and looking at the ball. That is not front on contact. How can you possibly argue that.

No, any defender that takes front spot and backs into their opponent is though. The only time you can do it is when you’re simultaneously trying to mark or spoil the ball. If you take that spot, and you push back before the ball gets there or you don’t try to spoil or mark you’re transgressing. So which is it, are you giving a free to the bloke in front or the bloke behind?

No, any defender that takes front spot and backs into their opponent is though. The only time you can do it is when you’re simultaneously trying to mark or spoil the ball. If you take that spot, and you push back before the ball gets there or you don’t try to spoil or mark you’re transgressing. So which is it, are you giving a free to the bloke in front or the bloke behind?
Your point hinges on the defender not contesting the ball. If a defender backs into a forward and doesn't allow the forward to contest the ball, the free-kick would be played for a block.

I'm talking about a circumstance in which the defender takes front position to either spoil or mark the ball, that is not a block and it isn't front on contact either and so when Hawkins pushes in the back, it should be a free kick against him.

Per the rule book:
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
"makes contact to an opposition Player from front-on and whose sole objective is not to contest or spoil a Mark"
18.5.3 Permitted Contact - Incidental contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if the Player’s sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark.

Your point hinges on the defender not contesting the ball. If a defender backs into a forward and doesn't allow the forward to contest the ball, the free-kick would be played for a block.

I'm talking about a circumstance in which the defender takes front position to either spoil or mark the ball, that is not a block and it isn't front on contact either and so when Hawkins pushes in the back, it should be a free kick against him.

Per the rule book:
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player:
"makes contact to an opposition Player from front-on and whose sole objective is not to contest or spoil a Mark"
18.5.3 Permitted Contact - Incidental contact in a Marking contest will be permitted if the Player’s sole objective is to contest or spoil a Mark.

Exactly so if they’re making front on contact in the lead up to that happening what is the umpire supposed to do? What is the player behind them supposed to do? Should the player at the back just stand there and be pushed backwards and give up his position?

Exactly so if they’re making front on contact in the lead up to that happening what is the umpire supposed to do? What is the player behind them supposed to do? Should the player at the back just stand there and be pushed backwards and give up his position?
if the player in the front of the contest is contesting the ball you cannot shove them in the back.

I'd genuinely like the stats for this. where do you find such stats. Jeremy Cameron as much as he's a gun has little presence. he's a roamer
He roaming this year but did it rarely in previous years. The stats came from fox footy presenters doing post match analysis, I don't have access the them.

Was pretty obvious though watching the game that Ollie Henry was the number one target. Like blindingly obvious.

Back