Preview AFL 2nd Semi Final - Geelong v Fremantle, MCG, Friday 10 September 7:45PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of interest, when did Fremantle last play a night game in the wet?

The second half of Rnd 9 v Sydney was wet and Sandi was awesome. Granted it wasn't under lights, but how is it an advantage or disadvantage for either side? We've played under lights and a few night games a lot this year having played at Docklands.

JPOD will also go fine in the wet, will make it harder for him to dominate, but his best asset (the fact that he rarely gets outmarked) will still be there and I expect him to clunk a few.

I would have said McPharlin would struggle against Buddy (who can also take a strong contested mark), but he did remarkably well.

Does JPod mark and score at the MCG? I thought a lot of the (non-Geelong) discussion was that he seems a different player away from Kardinia Park? 4 goals 7 in 5 games MCG, verses 26 (!!!) goals 8 in 6 games at Kardinia. Seems you can let him mark it wide at the MCG maybe and he struggles to hit the scoreboard?

I would have said McPharlin would struggle against Buddy (who can also take a strong contested mark), but he did remarkably well.

Does JPod mark and score at the MCG? I thought a lot of the (non-Geelong) discussion was that he seems a different player away from Kardinia Park? 4 goals 7 in 5 games MCG, verses 26 (!!!) goals 8 in 6 games at Kardinia. Seems you can let him mark it wide at the MCG maybe and he struggles to hit the scoreboard?
He's also played most of his games at the MCG against top four sides.

The second half of Rnd 9 v Sydney was wet and Sandi was awesome. Granted it wasn't under lights, but how is it an advantage or disadvantage for either side? We've played under lights and a few night games a lot this year having played at Docklands.

I think the fact you have NOT played at the MCG all year is the most signficant factor...

Your side has not played finals for four years and they are coming over to take on the fit (yet wounded from a nailbiting lose) Premiers, where?

In a massive Wet and Cold half empty 100,000 seat staduim you have not played in all year. Where everytime you do something good all you can hear an echo. This is not the comfortable temp of Subiaco Oval where 40,000 supporters will cheer you off even when you throw games you have all but won away.

Good news then. We were top 4 playing our best and finished 6th (rather than 5th) after a few throw-away games. Still massively depleted on our best obviously with Barlow, Ballantyne and Tarrant out.

In a massive Wet and Cold half empty 100,000 seat staduim you have not played in all year. Where everytime you do something good all you can hear an echo.

I think it's ridiculous, but the club is hoping for 10,000 to 15,000 Docker supporters to be there. Maybe you'll get a surprise from our supporters?

This is not the comfortable temp of Subiaco Oval where 40,000 supporters will cheer you off even when you throw games you have all but won away.

Hasn't happened this year at home. It's been a major difference in our play - the ability to run out a game. Our biggest weakness has been the low intensity starts away that we just haven't recovered from. We might have been exhausted (and injured).

Where's the faith, wheres the positive thoughts?. We get a game into Pods before the prelim, thats a good thing. Pies are our prelim bunnies :p. THEN when we meet the saints in the GF we look back to the last 8 years and see that the team that lost the previous match wins the grand final. SO in summation, we beat the pies we win the grand final. EASY :thumbsu:

I agree, but also think that a hostile crowd was a factor as well. Given he earned 5 odd shots at goal against Carlton, clearly his field play was OK. Despite his age and experience, a huge hostile crowd would be relatively new to him. Hopefully, at the end of the season he is more used to it now.

Good news then. We were top 4 playing our best and finished 6th (rather than 5th) after a few throw-away games. Still massively depleted on our best obviously with Barlow, Ballantyne and Tarrant out.

I think it's ridiculous, but the club is hoping for 10,000 to 15,000 Docker supporters to be there. Maybe you'll get a surprise from our supporters?

You guys will be lucky to have 3-2,000 supporters fresh to the MCG in a crowd of 35,000 Angry Cats fans. There is not going to loud and proud Purple Army presence even noticable to the players.

Hasn't happened this year at home. It's been a major difference in our play - the ability to run out a game. Our biggest weakness has been the low intensity starts away that we just haven't recovered from. We might have been exhausted (and injured).

I was not making a point about Freo's uncanny ability to run out play - I was making a point about Fremantle pathetic away record. A record that I think has been so pathetic for such a long time is due to that fact that the players away performance get accepted by the Freo faithful as long as they: "Win in front of us".
I grew up in East Fremantle and for a wanted of football I have been to as many Freo games as a lot of Freo supporters and my point is: The constant backslapping of a Freo Subi crowd like when they recieved a standing ovavtion for giving away a game to us in Round 1 2008 is a long way a way from a freezing MCG this Friday.

I was not making a point about Freo's uncanny ability to run out play - I was making a point about Fremantle pathetic away record. A record that I think has been so pathetic for such a long time is due to that fact that the players away performance get accepted by the Freo faithful as long as they: "Win in front of us".
I grew up in East Fremantle and for a wanted of football I have been to as many Freo games as a lot of Freo supporters and my point is: The constant backslapping of a Freo Subi crowd like when they recieved a standing ovavtion for giving away a game to us in Round 1 2008 is a long way a way from a freezing MCG this Friday.

You might just be suprized how many of us are comming over. Extra flights have been put on, all buses are full from what I hear.
You'll hear us don't worry about that.

like it did last season at skilled?

isnt pantilands struggling and will he even ruck?

It's not Pantilands it's Gigantilands. Thank god he's gunna be playing on one leg, if at all, because that man is scarily dominant when he's fully fit. Go Cats!

You might just be suprized how many of us are comming over. Extra flights have been put on, all buses are full from what I hear.
In all seriousness I doubt Fremantle will have more than about 5,000 supporters there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Freo were to play their best, and Geelong play at 95%, the cats would win 99/100

The other one being where 8 players got injured in the first quarter.

As I said in another thread. I can't believe how angry Bartel is. Bomber I understand, but not Bartel. I can't remember the last time I have seen one of our players truly angry.

They will comprehensively flog Freo this week and take the momentum into the following week for a crack at the Pies.

If Freo were to play their best, and Geelong play at 95%, the cats would win 99/100

The other one being where 8 players got injured in the first quarter.

As I said in another thread. I can't believe how angry Bartel is. Bomber I understand, but not Bartel. I can't remember the last time I have seen one of our players truly angry.

They will comprehensively flog Freo this week and take the momentum into the following week for a crack at the Pies.

OHHH angry Bartel :thumbsu::cool: My excitement for going to this game just rose tenfold.

1. First off the game is on a Friday, so a hell of a lot of people will have to made super quick arrangements from an afternoon six days prior. Even a lot of us Cats supporters complain about Friday night games and they live an hour away in the car, not over 4 hours by plane.

2. What percentage of these people coming over have ever come to a Freo game in Melbourne. I think a lot will suddenly lose their voices once not in a crowd where everyone supports the same side - in fact almost everyone supports the other side.

3. I look forward to trying to hear your unbelievable noise, and riveting chants. Maybe you can start that FFFFRRREEEEOOOO chant you do which sounds nothing like the EEEEAAAGGGGGLLLLEEEESSSS chant that started in the early 90's. I'm sure you will just drown us out with your typical display of Western Australian pride by roaring for every boundary throw-in.

forecast, wet and rainy, i like it.

Windy too. The wind will be swirling in so many directions the young Docker players won't have a clue what's going on! :p

Given how we played in the 2nd half Friday night I think we'd be very happy in the wet. Suits our hard bodies and contested footy and makes us go longer and more direct, and I always think we're better when we do that.

It would lessen whatever pace advantage the Dockers have too.

4 of those 5 games were against Collingwood, St.Kilda and Hawthorn, ie. 3 of the best defensive zoning teams in the league, and he didn't have his kicking boots on in the other game.

4 of those 5 games were against Collingwood, St.Kilda and Hawthorn, ie. 3 of the best defensive zoning teams in the league, and he didn't have his kicking boots on in the other game.

Yeah I made that point in an earlier post. Of course he isnt going to get as many goals at the MCG because we generally play the bigger drawing better skilled sides there and the ball isnt coming out of the centre as cleanly as it would against a lower side.

But his recent form shows that he is starting to come to terms with that - I have faith in the Pod!!!

I think it should also be highlighted that in some of those games like the Hawks game the J-Pod was really playing a lone-hand as a tall forward on a Zoning backline - and did all he could in bringing the ball to ground for a Cats win.

I'm also tipping a marked improvement for him this time around, a lot of players have not played so well at particular places in their first 5 games at a ground, he now has some experience of the place to think back to. I just think he needs to remember to lead more directly to take into account to not get caught out on the tougher angles that MCG’s wider wings present than those at SS and ES where has been so successful.

Regardless of this: how many key Freo player prior to Friday night have played on a star role on the MCG this year.. none.
In fact how many have ever... there are perhaps 3-4 who did all at least 4 years ago and they are players like Pav and Sandi who will have to put in their best performance for Freo to be in the game regardless.

Changes vs Fremantle

Hi guys, sorry for the extra thread, but the other thread is a bit over the shop with its direction and i just want to see other peoples thoughts on possible changes v Fremantle.

Bomber has all but declared Pods and Lonergan to play, so who goes out?

One of Blake or Tomohawk for sure, but the other change i'm not so sure.

Possible team:

B: Hunt; Scarlett; Milburn
HB: Enright; Taylor; Mackie
C: Kelly; Ling; Bartel
HF: Stokes; Mooney; Chapman
F: Varcoe; Pods; Stevie J

R: Ottens; Selwood; Ablett

Int: Corey; Hawkins; Byrnes; Wojcinski

I can't find a spot for Lonergan, unless it was at the expense of a Mackie/Milburn (which is no chance). If Byrnes was dropped it would upset the balance of the team i would have thought.

Sorry P.O but this is yet another post which demonstrates your lack of knowledge of the selection process. You ended part of a previous post on it being a "fact mate'. A fact is something proven beyond doubt. What you do is offer opinions based on assumptions. Nothing wrong with that it's what we all do here but don't pass them off as fact. The only people who can authentically state why Bomber opts for one player over another are the match committee. Out of self interest alone any self respecting coach would always opt for the player who will best serves the structure and the balance of the team, taking account of the match-ups for the coming match.

As you didn't respond to my question as to whether you've had first hand experience in such mattes or been practically involved in a team situation I assume you haven't. It helps if you have.

As you say, back to the game. I too think the Cats will get over the line. But it won't be easy as Freo is quite quick and with a dominant ruckman in Sandilands (let's hope he's not fully fit;)) it is likely to be tight. Let's hope it's not a physically demanding game with the Maggies and (fingers crossed) Saints to follow.

What the heck are you talking about? The only thing I've stated as fact, are the performance statistics of Pod, and our other forwards, because they are fact. Please don't tell me you're going to suggest the helpful stats OldStyle posted about Stokes v Byrnes are somehow 'subjective' and not fact. As for the rest, I've never passed my opinion off as concrete fact, I've just presented a rationale for why I think it's true, and people can agree or disagree, but don't accuse me of misrepresenting something because I ain't.

As for the game, I think we will win, although I think a good start is imperative. Strangely enough, I am more worried about Sandi if he plays forward than ruck so hopefully we can handle him.

And it sounds like Sandilands is line ball at best to play friday night.

They have just stated on HS that if he plays friday night he will have to play the whole game otherwise his knee will seize up - not a good idea bringing injured players into a final....

And PO, thats why I think Lonergan is a walk up start this game - sandilands will play a major role down forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back